Indy

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Guest Marney1

Sounds pretty glitched. I'd just kill them.

Not sure if they're already dead because while I was trying to decide whether or not they were taking the piss a green wispy light thingy appeared and started trying to freeze me so I ran away and it turned on them instead.

I now have 86 locations to check out. I've been getting close enough to them for the onscreen message to appear (telling you what you've found) then saving so it's marked on my map. I should be able to fast travel to most of them during quests or when I decide to go and explore them properly.

Had an epic battle with some villains who were on board a half submerged shipwreck that resembled Noah's Ark, I swam underwater and emerged right next to it and listened to their conversation for a bit then they started mumbling about hearing something. I could see their red markers moving round above me but I was safe hidden between the boat and the icy cliff edge.

Once they chilled out I did a kind of dog leg/flanking manouvre then inched closer until they came to investigate again but I'd given myself an angle so I could see them one behind the other for when they came running out and started launching arrows into their faces. It was going pretty well until I slipped down the icy bank, out of view and into the water. The two heavily wounded survivors jumped into the freezing waters with me and suddenly it was a race to get back on land.

One managed to climb atop an ice floe and began shouting shit at me but I wasn't worried because he only had a sword, his friend however was swimming underwater in circles and figure eight's but staying right on my arse. We were almost neck and neck when we reached the bank but I was somehow facing the wrong way and started hopping about like a muppet while he repeatedly crashed his sword onto me. I of course still had my bow & arrow out and the quickest option was to try and give him the good news right between the eyes but it was to no avail, I slumped face down dead and the last thing I heard was that prick on the ice floe mumbling something like 'I told you I'd getcha'.

And now I've just gone and died the most mongy death ever by dive bombing from an icy ledge into the water - which turned out to be about two inches deep.

Oh yeah, Lydia snuffed it just before Noah's Ark, she was taken down by an Ice Saber Cat thing and because I'd collected quite a bit of valuable gear I didn't fancy collecting it all over again so I dragged her corpse up into a corner then moved her into a more dignified position so she could appear peaceful even in death. She did me proud on the few occasions she decided to turn up so she earned my respect in a way.

I think it's better if you don't know what creatures to expect, I've had a few surprises like hearing a growl then looking round to find myself staring at a huge Saber Cat I didn't even know existed. It's especially spooky too when you're taking a stroll through the woods and some weirdo ambushes you. The atmosphere is more tense for me because I don't know what I'll run into next.

I love climbing a mountain when all of a sudden a bear/sabrecat/wolf attacks out of nowhere - instead of hacking away at at the animal; I do a quick maneuver and FUS RO DAH them off the mountain. That will never, ever, ever, ever get old. The only other completed dragon shout I have is 'Whirlwind Sprint'; which I rarely use - but none of the other ones compare to the power of launching someone/something off a cliff.

I was home sick yesterday and spent the entire day playing Skyrim, smoking blunts and eating smoked meat. I did a ton of bullshitting - I harvested over 500 chaurus eggs from the Frost Whatever Lighttower; then spent a few hours hopping around the tundra near Whiterun at night; looking for Luna Moth wings so I can make invisibility potions and get rich. I made a bunch of "Fortify Enchanting" potions and I am trying to focus on building up my enchanting level. I'm finding a lot of badass weapons and I am amazed at the amount of money they are fetching. Anyway, I spent the entire day playing, but I didn't do a single MAIN mission; just a bunch of cleanup of some miscellaneous tasks. To be honest, I couldn't tell you what the fuck the real storyline is. My story is FAR more entertaining, I assure you.

A few of my favorite things:

Every female bandit/forsworn/mage/whatever I kill, I leave in their underpants. When removing stuff from their inventory, I take their armor, leaving them in their underpants. I usually just drop their armor out of my inventory, I don't usually need it - but I figured someone who comes along after me might need it. Nothing like finding some new armor AND a headless corpse in brown bra and panties!

I've been collecting sweet rolls. Not to eat, for decoration. I would like to have a whole room of sweet rolls in my house. YUM!

I have the Dwarven Helmet of Waterbreathing - which is like Skyrim Scuba. I have been to the depths of almost every lake and every shipwreck I have come across. You'd be surprised what's down there, and there isn't a fish that's safe from me. I wish there was a way to ward off Slaughterfish though.

Yay i have a follower :) his name is Sven.

Yeah I picked the other guy, Faedrhal or whatever his name is (fuck stupid names.) He just died when we were battling a couple of sabre cats in Bloated Mans Grotto and I roasted him with my flames, a pity 'cause he was carrying all my shit. Now i'm trying to make it past some spriggan things and a bear without dying. *reloads for the 23rd time*

Any weaknesses they have? I am only level 12 and what is this?!

Lol im only level 4, i have no idea sorry vice, i got some gold claw thing tho, but it wont let me give it to the shop owner who had it stolen, i dunno y. Anyone else have this problem? Im with the companions now whatever that is lol, at least i get a bed.

Run away.

I did in the end. I was getting close to ragequitting.

Lol im only level 4, i have no idea sorry vice, i got some gold claw thing tho, but it wont let me give it to the shop owner who had it stolen, i dunno y. Anyone else have this problem? Im with the companions now whatever that is lol, at least i get a bed.

Did you use the claw to unlock the door and learn the dragon shout? (Can't believe i'm actually starting to sound like I understand what's going on.)

Run away.

Did you use the claw to unlock the door and learn the dragon shout? (Can't believe i'm actually starting to sound like I understand what's going on.)

I unlocked the door but didnt get the dragon shout thing, i think i will just go through the temple place again and see what i missed, im slowly gettin my head round it but like marney has said im doing it at a slow pace because there is so much to do and learn. Lol vice, when i used to read this thread i was like wtf they on about, some of it makes sense now.

If a dungeon harbours a dragon shout and you've found the shout, on your map the location will say "Completed". Unique dungeons can also be "completed" if you've killed the main boss or found the main treasure, it's usually quite obvious. Some dungeons can't be completed though, they're often the places where radiant quests take place.

I unlocked the door but didnt get the dragon shout thing, i think i will just go through the temple place again and see what i missed, im slowly gettin my head round it but like marney has said im doing it at a slow pace because there is so much to do and learn. Lol vice, when i used to read this thread i was like wtf they on about, some of it makes sense now.

Farther into the dungeon is a rounded wall with words on it, one is glowing, and the light fades in and out the closer you get to it. Don't do it yet, though, because, based on what you've said, you're not ready for the fight that follows. Wander around killing shit for a while.

Some combat advice: Magic kills pretty quickly, but you'll be buying a lot of magicka potions, and most other magic users you fight will use an annoying magic ward that blocks your spells. Bows aren't too effective at first, but spend a few perks on sneak and archery, and you'll be one-shotting most enemies. Shield and sword is good if you have a follower who uses a bow, because you can alternate between blocking and striking while your buddy stands back and flings arrows. Dual-wielding and two-handed are effective, but you'll want to either have a steady supply of health potions, or just spend perks on your heavy armor skill.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to sneak and archery, my wood elf has gotten to the point where I can wander around in clothing instead of armor, so he looks like a hooded/bearded Link. I don't need to armor up unless I see something that I think might get within melee range before I can kill it, or has decent ranged abilities (i.e., dragons, or any bear/sabre cat who's lucky enough to get the drop on me).

Run away.

Farther into the dungeon is a rounded wall with words on it, one is glowing, and the light fades in and out the closer you get to it. Don't do it yet, though, because, based on what you've said, you're not ready for the fight that follows. Wander around killing shit for a while.

Magic kills pretty quickly, but you'll be buying a lot of magicka potions.

Bows aren't too effective at first, but spend a few perks on sneak and archery, and you'll be one-shotting most enemies.

Thanks to sneak and archery, my wood elf has gotten to the point where I can wander around in clothing instead of armor, so he looks like a hooded Link. I don't need to armor up unless I see something that I think might get within melee range before I can kill it (i.e., dragons, or any bear/sabre cat who's lucky enough to get the drop on me).

Thanks for the tips, i think im gunna wonder around for a bit and really get a feel for the game and understand it all better before i do proper quests.

Most of the battles haven't been hard thus far, you just find a spot to get the enemy stuck so you can just shoot arrows and flame them to death. Even dragons aren't that hard as they just circle around perpetually while you take potshots at them, it's very tedious though. Killed three so far.

The only hard battles I had to retreat from were the one I already mentioned with the two spriggan and the bear, and one with a master vampire and several other vampires in Haemar's Shame.

I've been playing for 22 hours and i've already noticed a few small lag spikes where the map has to load itself. It freezes for a second and then some trees pop up, hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Guest Marney1

I can't figure out how to carry a sword and shield together, seems whatever I try I end up with just one weapon at a time and have to use that weapon for blocking, anyone help? *pissed off face*

Guest Marney1

Are you certain the weapon you're using is one handed? Obviously you can't use a two handed weapon with a shield. :ike:

Erm, that may well be the problem. It's ok I'll add the emoticon: :luis:

So I spent the last 6 hours just boosting all my magic skills after Enchanting various clothing which effectively reduced the cost of magic to 0%, meaning I could use whatever spells I wanted for however long I wanted. Real pain in the ass though, took ages. That ended up boosting me to level 66 or something and using the perks I improved my Enchanting so I can attach 2 enchantments to 1 item, then spent ages "waiting 48 hours" for the shop keeper to respawn with Daedra Hearts. Once I had enough I created a batch of new Daedra gear, then enchanted it all with 2 of the best enchantments for me, then improved it to the max on the smithing tools.

The end result is as follows (click for screenshots):

Daedric Armor (Legendary) - Armor: 180, Enchantments: Health regenerates 37% faster. Stamina regenerates 37% faster.

Daedric Helmet (Legendary) - Armor: 88, Enchantments: Bows do 48% more damage. Can swim underwater without drowning.

Daedric Boots (Legendary) - Armor: 82, Enchantments: One-handed attacks to 48% moredamage. Stamina regenerates 37% faster.

Daedric Gauntlets (Legendary) - Armor: 82, Enchantments: Bows do 48% more damage. One-handed attacks do 48% more damage.

Daedric Bow (Legendary) - Damage: 585, Enchantments: Burns the target for 29 points. Targets on fire take extra damage. Target takes 29 points of frost damage to Health and Stamina.

Daedric Sword (Legendary) - Damage: 151, Enchantments: Burns the target for 29 points. Targets on fire take extra damage. Target takes 29 points of frost damage to Health and Stamina.

Daedric Shield (Legendary) - Armor: 104, Enchantments: Block 48% more damage with your shield. Increases your health by 74 points.

Silver Necklace - Enchantments: Bows do 48% more damage. Stamina regenerates 37% faster.

Silver Ring - Enchantments: Bows do 48% more damage. Health regenerates 37% faster.

So I'm doing:

192% more Bow damage

96% more one-handed damage

Regenerate health 74% quicker

Regenerate stamina 111% quicker

Breathe Underwater

That's me finished though. Not enchanting anything else ever again. Might make some Daedra boots for Lydia once I get more Daedra hearts but that's it. Cranked the difficulty up to Master and I'm not even bothering to pick stuff up anymore. Just doing the quests. Have enough gold to buy anything I want and my weapons and armor mean I can take down anything in no more than a few shots. I'm still finding it fun though, which is good because I've put in around 100 hours to get to this point, so from now on I just have quests to do.

Oh yeah, and here's an Uber Potion I made.

Guest Marney1

So I've just had a quick guided tour round the Hall of the Elements in Winterhold and joined some other college students in listening to Tolfdir blabber on about how important safety is when practicing magic. He offers to demonstrate a simple Ward Spell and asks me to stand in front of him and that's it, we're all standing round looking like knobheads.

Dunno what to do now, not sure if it's a glitch.

Here's a better way of explaining it - just jump to about 11:00

I'm ready to block what he throws at me but he's just standing there. Pweese help I wants to learnz majik.

Oh great, now I've got this static problem with the sound, thought it was my speakers taking the knock but it's a common problem with the game.

It's severely pissing me off now and it's impossible to ignore. Bethesda best be working their asses off on a patch because I can't concentrate with this stupid static noise.

Guest Marney1

You have to cast the ward spell and then he will cast his spell. As for the sound, it's a pain in the arse but I've found that with most things like that, if I save, quit the game and reload it usually sorts it out.

He asks me to cast the spell and to keep it up which I do but he just stands there. Apparently this is also a very common problem.

Dunno if it's worth starting the game from scratch again, I might run into the same bugs again.

Guest Marney1

Dont u have another save file? Just start from there and try again.

I had been alternating between 2 save files but because I thought the crackling static sound was my speakers I turned them off and because the TV volume was a lot lower I saved again without realising the sound was still there. So much for having a back up save, they're both fucked now.

I'm going to leave the PS3 turned off while I go the shop and see if it magically fixes itself when I get back.