That new screenshot with the heli above Pacific Palisades and that "little" piece of stretch of the pacific coast highway from bottom right corner to the tunnel entrance show actually how big the city is, so those who talk shh on the city size maintain silent :D

Edit: This one stretch is like 3/4 of the "central park" in LC

I thought it was weird they didn't have the standard "69" joke. That orientation of the western runway seems accurate given the screenshots we've seen of the airport overall.

thats the first thing i noticed no 69 but 21 is my lucky numbah

Nice updates. I believe I recall one magazine saying that the Alamo Sea will be used as a map border. I may have misinterpreted that, though.

Nice updates. I believe I recall one magazine saying that the Alamo Sea will be used as a map border. I may have misinterpreted that, though.

Yeah, Two previews made it seem like GTA V's Los Santos and Countryside was an island. With the Ocean on one side and the Alamo Sea on the other. But this would mean that the Alamo Sea would be massive.

Or at least extend into the ocean surrounding the map. In which case, it wouldn't really be a sea.

Yeah, I don't understand how it can extend into the ocean and still be a reference to the 'real world' inland sea ( the Salton Sea ). But then again Rockstar made California into an island, and included Las Vegas in it ( which is in a separate state ) in GTA San Andreas.

I hope we'll see the map sometime in the summer. It's looking quite big from the screen shots, not to mention the articles constantly saying so as well.

Total playable area is roughly 25mi^2 or something like that, if RDR is roughly 5mi^2. That's huge for a game. I wonder how the city:countryside:underwater ratio will go. If everything is 1:1:1, then they would each be around 8mi^2 each, which is not bad at all. However, the countryside will almost definitely exceed the size of the city, and there isn't really any way to estimate the size of the underwater area.

That new screenshot with the heli above Pacific Palisades and that "little" piece of stretch of the pacific coast highway from bottom right corner to the tunnel entrance show actually how big the city is, so those who talk shh on the city size maintain silent :D

Edit: This one stretch is like 3/4 of the "central park" in LC

yeah that pic is amazing as it shows how crazy devs at R* are.

I mean, take a very good look at it and see how accurate it is to it's real life counterpart - neglecting scale of course - and then think of the many other areas we've discovered already that are so freestyle that they don't match up anything it takes it's real life inspiration from (eg alamo sea)

Total playable area is roughly 25mi^2 or something like that, if RDR is roughly 5mi^2. That's huge for a game. I wonder how the city:countryside:underwater ratio will go. If everything is 1:1:1, then they would each be around 8mi^2 each, which is not bad at all. However, the countryside will almost definitely exceed the size of the city, and there isn't really any way to estimate the size of the underwater area.

according to xbox magzine:

A few bits of trivia to polish off. GTA 5's land mass is three and a half times the size of that of Red Dead Redemption, and the actual playable area (which includes underwater areas) is five times as large. Franklin alone has more textures than the entire pedestrian population of GTA: San Andreas. GTA 5 offers the largest selection of vehicles you'll find in a Grand Theft Auto title, and the largest arsenal too.

still doesn't say anything on the city, but one can expect the countryside outside LS to be considerably bigger than the city, so you can get a vague idea of the actual ratios...

I'd say the city itself is somewhere in the area of the RDR-map, give or take a few sqft

Apparently RDR had a map size of 12mi^2, not 5 like I thought for some reason.

12x5= 60mi^2 for the total map size

12x3.5= 42mi^2

That's fucking huge, so I don't know if RDR is really 12. Can't find a definitive answer though since it's all estimations by players.

If the landmass is 42mi^2, I'd hope for the city to be maybe 15mi^2, and the countryside to be 27mi^2.

I hope that it isn't an island...I hope that its connected to a mainland in a way RDR was. I know it would be difficult with the inclusion of aircraft but, I thought GTAIV was incredibly stupid in terms of the map.

Alderney was part of New Guernsey and not part of Liberty City, yet, it was an island connected to three islands that were Liberty City and used LCPD police cars.

Bah!

So if in fact they do have it on the mainland...image what they could do with expansions. Where GTAIV added characters, they could add cities seeing as how they have an interstate.

The map is apparently not just an island, so it is connected to other land. Does anyone know how the map will stop on land? Will it just have a invisible wall or will it be some sort of clever Rockstar feature to stop you going out of the map?

The map is apparently not just an island, so it is connected to other land. Does anyone know how the map will stop on land? Will it just have a invisible wall or will it be some sort of clever Rockstar feature to stop you going out of the map?

it will probably be unauthorized air space and you will be shot down. Also were did you read this information.