With Grand Theft Auto Online information looming, I'm pretty excited to hear what all the hype and secrecy is about...

Can we expect a fully functioning world where you role play as your character within the crew, protect your assets from rival gangs, spend your hard earn't money on safehouses, businesses and other useful investments? Will it be a long term experience that we can expect to be playing for a long time after GTA V has had its run? Hell, we still play GTA IV multiplayer years down the line, and that was essentially basic GTA gameplay! GTA is still a unique style of game that no-one else has managed to successfully replicate. So why should GTAO be any different? For GTAO to be a success, it just needs to stick to the drawing board, and be what GTA has always been about. Stealing, racing, dealing, killing, and gang rivalry...

samp040vg.png

Will there be ranks or ladders to climb in crews on GTAO? Showing exceptional skills, or cold killing techniques, will there be an experience system which can help gain respectable positions within your crew? Crews are clearly an important aspect for GTA V, and i really think that it was originally designed for GTA, and not Max Payne. Max Payne 3 just happened to be the experimental budgey (imo) between GTA releases. Will you be able to build some sort of empire, or crew presence withint the world of GTAO, not just on the stat screens?

gta-iv-harlem-shake-at-rockstar-games-03.jpg

I didn't even get started on customization....There's so many questions to be answered, with such a small amount of time until release. I kind of want them to leave it til last minute to unveil it properly. Just as long as the hype is worth while.

• Like 4

I've seen a few people comment about buying or taking over properties ("empires" as you put it) and role playing. It just doesn't work well in a game that isn't an MMORPG or similar. The main problem is that free roam sessions are not enduring. That "world" where you did a bunch of stuff only exists while you are there. Once everyone leaves that world is gone and everything is reset. Sure they could give every Crew their own session to keep (which I find unlikely for various reasons) and then you'd have to allow another crew to come in and fight for territory. But that's pointless to a degree where you might as well just start a fresh free roam session so everyone has a fair chance. It would be ridiculously easy to take over the whole map while the other Crew isn't online or has very few players (derp).

I think there could be some areas to take over and defend during a session (like RDR's Land Grab) but nothing permanent as explained above. I would expect gang hideouts (computer controlled) more, though.

As for roleplaying itself that's left up to the fans to decide. GTA isn't a roleplaying game and I hope it never becomes one. Having the option to do so is fine but not something to be forced upon players. Maybe one day Rockstar will have something like APB that works. I'm sure Rockstar has some cool Crew features for GTA V and beyond but not a whole new genre. It's still going to be Grand Theft Auto.

• Like 1

I understand what you're saying Fitty. I don't want GTA to be a endless role playing game. I was just summarising a lot of the general questions we've been seeing since the beginning. But what i do want from GTAO is something more than deathmatches and ghostroam. Clearly there will be a mixture of GTA IV, RDR and Max Payne 3 gameplay modes to expect. So i'm going to assume we'll be getting scenarios to fight out, which could cover co-op and Vs modes. But that still leaves freeroam, which left a lot to be desired in GTA IV.

As I mentioned a few posts up, GTAIV's multiplayer info was expanded upon a month and a half from the release date.

Since we're exactly a month and a half away this coming week, I really hope the info dump is due... (fingers crossed)

Although, if the marketing is anything like RDR, we may get multiplayer info the following week (think August 7th). Although, RDR released the achievement list and had hands on gameplay by this point...

Hmm... I've never been on a gang or team ect. Ect. I wouldn't mind seeing a MMORPG what I mean by that is, you make a gang weather its just you or 20+ people you get a starter hideout which could be a small warehouse. And you get to choose a gangland that could have 1 or 10 gangs in it, I agree it would be to easy to take over but it goes both ways and you could possibly when you get bigger have AI protecting your turf while you or your members aren't on and you can equip them with guns ammo vests ect. Then the more you accomplish missions or more land you get money and can buy things either to expand your hideout or decorate it or can like I said buy ammo and guns for your AI. Mission wise it could go out to all gangs to rob or pull off a mission and get so much money. Sometimes it could be first one to get, such and such and sometimes it could be everyone vs. Everyone to do something. Then if you want you can just select free roam and play on a separate world. I mean there are holes in everything I just said but its something that I would like to do.

R* posted this with today's new pics

Stay tuned for much more details and media from the game in August including the first proper unveiling of Grand Theft Auto Online."

so for those wondering when, now you know when you will get some answers. Can't fucking wait.

BIJ79Zp.png

I don't know how reliable Yahoo Finance is, but from what i see here, they claim that GTA Online will earn R* and Taketwo $250 million.

http://finance.yahoo...-210652848.html

Does this mean we are to expect fees. Whether that comes in as DLC, micro-transactions or even subscription fees? I'm not about to speculate on the matter, we have tons of information and a trailer tomorrow, so i'll wait and see. But this could potentially be a serious bit of information...

The article also says "It is unlikely that GTA Online will offer a monthly subscription service like World of Warcraft, but we would expect more opportunities for players to spend real money on character, vehicle, or weapon upgrades via micro-transactions." So I guess you only get a few customization options, unless you are willing to pay for it with real money.

Rockstar is still a company trying to make money, and the future lies in these micro transactions. simple cause people tend to think it's only 99 cent right ,yeah it is but do that 20 times and since people dont keep track of how many times they did it. Combine that with the fact that current gen and next gen consoles have a finance system build in ms points or psn money combine that with the fact that 70 % of the people have there creditcard signed to theyre account

then get some ignorance and some human competition drift and you have a win Win WIN $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ situation...

that they put so many effort in it, only fuels my thought that they want something in return

but well you know ......

Qoute: Time will tell, Sooner or later, Time will tell ( into C&C Red Alert )

Brace yourselves, chaps; there will be items available for real-money purchase, certainly in GTA Online, probably in single-player. Think Red Dead DLC (i.e. Golden Guns, War Horse, Liars and Cheats, etc). None of this will be required to enjoy a fully fleshed-out game experience, but it's there if you want it. This concept will bring on much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but it's no different than any other game that offers DLC, it is not new, and it is now the industry standard (read: it's not going away).

• Like 5

I can live with that sort of thing (clothes, tatts, etc) provided it doesn't affect the enjoyment of the overall experience. Like you said, you can choose to buy things, you can choose not to buy things and you're ultimately playing the same game.

• Like 1

Anyone know what time the multiplayer video drops? Or have they only announced the day?

my guess is that it will be at (for me in the middle of the U.S., the rest will have to do the math) 9 CT