Massacre

Assassin's Creed

well, i've tried to take on a few ships too strong for me and died... since there's no penalty for dying i kept at one and eventually got the upper hand... you can always take on smaller ships to repair your ship after winning the battle, otherwise if you die you start out in a fully repaired ship (unless mine was always fully repaired before entering the battle)... and i guess there's notoriety as well... destroy too many and they send the navy after you... i haven't taken one of those big boys down yet, but i will ;)
I can easily take down frigates now and also took on a man o' war or two. Those legendary ships though, fuck are they hard. Once you know each ship's strategy you can counter it, brigs just go for you with the ram so you lure them in and then drop fire barrels while speeding away, frigates you just try to circle them and stay behind them while pummeling their backside with your big black balls. I've even stopped attacking schooners now as they are small fry. Although I do go for them when I need repairs. What does the "send to fleet" option actually do? Apparently I need to be signed in to PSN and the Uplay thing to make it work.
In an attempt to stop myself from rushing out to purchase this, I made Edward in Skyrim. My game has proceeded to crash every time I try to play it. Clearly, Edward is too cool for Skyrim to deal with. And I have nothing to distract me from this game.
AAARRRRRRRRR!! Ye know ye want t' *tempts*

after upgrading my ship, i can take down brigs now with relative ease... and i am just now getting used to maneuvering against them and using barrels... it's still a work in progress... i still go after schooners because of the ship repair, but also because i can lower my notoriety as well... it's worth it, even though it's a bit of a chore to board something that small with little reward...

what is the item on the list at the top of the screen on the far right? i need a lot of it for building shit, but i don't ever see it as supplies on other ships...

The three materials you use for upgrading your ship are cloth, wood and metal. I think you can get metal from brigs, but maybe it's frigates onwards.

Going to head into the hard map areas soon and see how long I last against multiple men o war.

Already enjoying myself more than I did in 3. Not waiting until halfway through the game to get my assassin robes was a nice touch. Still not sure what they were thinking, making us wear rags for half the game in 3.

Already enjoying myself more than I did in 3.

Better than 3 you think? 3 was pretty bad I thought. It is the main reason I haven't seriously looked at this game. Starting to change that opinion though.

Ubisoft should probably have spoken to someone who has killed a whale rather than assuming that the weapon designed to kill a whale is going to do almost zero damage to said whale. 30 hits at full power are more than enough, contrary to what people may believe.

Why the fuck am I in a rickety rowboat, anyway? Do they not know they can kill a whale from the ship?

i am just about to kingston, so i've traversed the easy and medium waters for the most part... i have spent most of my time sinking ships and upgrading my own :lol:... the story is moving along at a jumbled pace... too much time passing in between sequences i think? or not enough build up to the missions themselves?? dunno... the lore and the feel is there, but the story so far is kind of meh... i hope the assassins and templars story picks up more soon...

the combat and naval stuff is where it's at anyways... the cities are better than 3, and the stealth is back... i have still been able to play through most of the game in cover, with the occasional pop out to take down a couple before ducking back into a bush... now boarding a ship is another thing... there's no stealth there unless you want to drop down into the action from above... then there's one or two stealth kills :P... and utilizing 4 pistols in the middle of a battle is fun too...

harpooning is a bit of a joke i guess... once you put some $$$ into upgrading the boat, there's nothing stopping you from catching anything on the map... it's a pretty east minigame as well... the mammals are too predicable... even hunting feels meh... i want to play something like those arcade hunting games, or even GTAV's hunting experience... not hide in a bush waiting for the creature to predictably walk by, or drop in from a tree branch, which are few and far apart in general hunting areas... what happened to bait and traps?

but man, unloading the cannons on some prey never gets old :D... stalking ships, following convoys, watching another battle and cleaning up afterwards... it's fucking awesome... sometimes i find myself way off course because i was chasing after some booty :lol:...

$90?! holy shit is that what new releases cost over there?!? i'd only pay that price for a few games... if it helps though, it grows on you... AC4 is a pretty good addition to the series once you get past the initial change in game focus and direction with open seas exploration over horseback and giant cities... but that's a judgement call on your part... i wouldn't pay $90, but i'd drop $60 any day... perhaps if the add-ons look good, i might eventually accumulate $90 invested...

i'd go for it unless you had a rental store... rent it, see what you think... or just replay ACIII naval battles and see if that's what you really want to do, because there's a ton of naval warfare and sea shanties :D...

seriously, the piracy aspect feels so close to a 3D version of sid meier's pirates!... the only thing lacking was the ever changing merchant market... places to sell sugar at a higher price, and turning small villages into city fortresses... the fortress battles feel just like a 21st century take on sid's turn based strategy for taking over a town ... but the sea battles are just as strategic with vastly upgraded graphics over a game from 20 years ago...

this is the best representation of what being a pirate captain is like in video games... seriously, AC needs to drop the pirate gig and move on to a chinese dynasty or something... turn this blag flag franchise into it's own series... you've got the right idea and i love it :D...