Massacre

Assassin's Creed

I've been focusing too much on the story. Looked through my trophies last night, and it turns out I'm on the last sequence.

I kept being told to upgrade my ship before starting certain missions, but I never did it. Only massive battles took multiple attempts, and one of those was without my all-powerful mortars. I'm ramming ships, for the most part. I really want the plans for the elite ram. That thing does more damage than any of my cannons.

What? The last sequence already? I think i'm only on about 5 or 6. I've been doing the opposite, pirating and not doing the story.

Plus I upgraded my ship as far as I could go, just need the elite plans now.

A heads up about the end of the game. I don't consider it a spoiler, but I guess one of you might.

The game basically ends at sequence 12. Sequence 13 is just cutscenes and a few minutes of steering your boat during the credits.

I suggest biting the bullet and reading that spoiler. The ending would've seemed less anti-climactic for me had I known this.

Also, disappointed...

That there's no closure for the real-world portions. It ends very abruptly without any explanation as to what Shaun and Rebecca have planned.

dont temp me like that :angry:

*restrains from reading*

i'm on sequence 5 at the moment, still on my way to kingston... keep getting distracted by little towns and ships full of goodies.. probably wont play this until tomorrow...

Completed AC IV last week (only bought it just before Christmas) and glad to say its back on form after the massive disappointment of AC 3.

Really enjoyed all the plundering other ships, diving & exploring ship wrecks and all the plenty little things inbetween.

Only criticisms are:

the storyline/memory sequence seemed a little short and, as mentioned by Massacre, the real world portions left plenty of unanswered questions.

Oh, and I'm not very keen on the multiplayer either.

Unrelated necro-post, here...

Starz is replacing the now-over Spartacus with a pirate show called Black Sails in January. I've decided I'll be waiting until then to pick this one up.

what, really? if those end up on netflix like spartacus did then it'll give me an excuse to use it again... i have a friends login information and have had it for months and months and i still haven't gotten on there... i'll watch anything with a pirate premise...

Yep. It's a prequel to Treasure Island. Not much information beyond that and the cast.

Well, it's a prequel, so it won't have that coming-of-age vibe, and Starz wouldn't have bothered if they didn't plan to stuff as much blood and full-frontal male nudity into it as they did with Spartacus.

This premiered Saturday. Other than 4 characters, there's next to no connection to Treasure Island, that I've noticed. The first episode has an attack on a ship, a bloody one-on-one fight, a very faithful representation of Nassau, and other fun things. Anne Bonny made a minor appearance (she'll have a more important role later on), and other pirates like Charles Vane will turn up throughout the series.

Also,

Fuck. Now I'm considering putting off Watch_Dogs for this. They need to delay one so I don't have to keep changing my mind.

Score.

yea, i saw the pilot episode last week and wasn't all that impressed... characters were flat, and the story doesn't look like it will hold up for long... i know it's only the first episode, but it's not quite what i was hoping or expecting...

in other news, i haven't play AC4 since my PS3 died :(... i knew GTAO was still gonna be killing my video game time, and it surely has... i really really need to pick this up again and jump back in... i was just on my way kingston...

The first episode of Spartacus wasn't much of a start, either, but it ended up being a great series. I'm going to withhold judgement until the end of the season.

If nothing else, I'll keep watching for the same reason I still watch Game of Thrones: There's nothing else on TV that night.

Sometimes the first episode or two of a new series feels pretty flat because it's all set-up and exposition. Once the setting and characters are set up a bit, the story can flow a little better.

I still don't have AC4, but then my gaming time has gone down lately, I don't get enough time to play GTA V/O as it is...but I still want to get this one at some point.

So, I've played Ass Creed 1 and Ass Creed 3. Was disappointed by 1 and mildly amused by 3, but only for a short period of time. 4 looks like a lot of fun, especially since I quite enjoyed the ship battles. Is it worth trying 4 when it gets nice and cheap?

Gamestop has an Assassin's Creed: Ezio Trilogy you could pick up. http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/assassins-creed-ezio-trilogy/105564

Gameplay in general is very similar from game to game, so it's a bit repetitive albeit fun. The story builds and and flows well from I to II to Brotherhood to Revelations, so it's worth playing all three after the first. II's map is awesome; Brotherhood is like an expansion add-on to II; and Revelations is the climax to that whole storyline. Brotherhood is when they introduced multiplayer (which I've played a total of 10 minutes of). There is a distinct incremental improvement from each game to the one that comes after it, they clean up some of the movement and controls, add better/new weapons and 'finishing' moves, and introduce bombs and traps you can craft from the treasure you collect, etc.

AC3 breaks away from that with the new character and location, and feels a bit disconnected, although the story was really cool. I haven't played 4 yet so can't comment on it, but everyone who liked the ship battles the best from AC3 say that 4 is worth it.

Once it's around $20, purchase 4 without hesitation. Buy the aforementioned Ezio trilogy immediately, because Ezio is awesome, as are his games.

They're all the same stuff, in terms of gameplay (though, the first game is primitive, compared to the controls of the later games), but the story is what makes this series.

Honestly, Desmond is my least favorite part of the games. I get taken out of this great story only to deal with someone I have no interest in what so ever.

Maybe I just don't get the point of Desmond. I feel he's an unnecessary connection for the games.

• Like 1