Massacre

Fallout

Check Synch's long post on the previous page, he covers a lot of newbie tips.

i couldn't find it, i was gonna quote it for him... his post on the previous page has to do with mothership zeta... synch has a lengthy post here with tips for newbies because at the time, i think two new people were getting into it... i went back about 5 pages and couldn't find it, it's buried in here somewhere...

icon11.gif

o well, ur post is pretty good.

woke up, it never finished downloading cause my computer went in sleep mode. that fucking pissed me off.

gotta wait like, an hour

I think I miss the Chinese assault rifle just as much. I even have a mod for New Vegas that adds the 3 weapons into New Vegas, just so I could get it back.

D-O, find a Chinese assault rifle early on. You'll be set for life with one of those. Also, let us know when you get to the museum, I want to make sure you don't fuck up and miss out on the Xuanlong Assault Rifle.

yea, the xuanlong is something easily missed by those who suck at math like i do... i am glad i reloaded that save the 1st time when i realized something was up... i had to look it up online and i was glad i did...

it's at the museum of technology, in the DC mall... you'll run into it through the main story if you help a brother out...

icon11.gif

trying to do a side quest right before I go find my dad and I got my ass kicked by some crab people below some station. Fuck

*sticks to main storyline

well for at least a few levels

k, just got the hang of that select where to shoot the person system. lol

falling for this game

IDK if I fucked up, put a lot of stats in big guns and energy guns right off the bat, but dont have an energy gun.

Yeah, you fucked up. Big Guns and Energy Weapons are practically useless. Stick to small guns. No one will hold it against you if you use the console commands to change your skills to something useful.

Also, Mirelurks (the crab people) were the bane of my existence when I first played Fallout 3. Ran into them at way too early a level.

damn, i should of mentioned big guns, you can be effective with them even with crappy skills... there's nothing wrong with energy weapons, you won't find the best weapons, but you'll still be quite effective with a very select few rare ones that deal great damage... one is housed on mothership zeta, and it also requires a very very high skill in science to get... energy weapons will pay off in the end if you stick with them... but anyone starting out should use small guns, even if you want to eventually use energy weapons...

small guns are in abundance in the wasteland, energy weapons are in the 2nd act of the game...

icon11.gif

so in not too far in.

just did the side quest to find food and medicine at some super mart for the chick who is researching stuff from the first city's general store. i actually have a decent amount of engery cells from that missions. I have a laser assault rifle and two plasma guns. I think i might be able to tough out the energy guns thing and whoops ass later in the game, but if not....let me know. not that far in. starting over and focusing on small guns and sneak doesn't seems like a bad idea. i've bin such a goodly little two shoes so far its starting to piss me off. I wouldn't mind going full whore...stealing shit..and rocking small guns and sneaking, early skills seems to cater to that.

My thought was to be a energy fuck with big guns would rape....like how I started my skyrim with my 2hander nord. to this day...after doing a mage and a duel wielding thief in sky rim...i still found my nord 2hander whooped more ass.

but yah, after a day of playing fallout seems like a different animal where money plays a bigger role. I could keep rocking my energy weapon nice guy thing which I felt was the prissy happy boy way to play the game..but I'm starting too think there id more benefit to ignoring karma and just steal mad shit and reap the money benefits. let me know, cause I would rather play the more beneficial game first them do the nice guy approach after.

it's hard not to steal something in fallout... plus, you can at least sell stolen items because in the wasteland, no one cares where you got it from..

in case you didn't know,

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Fallout_3

this place has all the answers you will ever need for quests and items...

while i wouldn't tell you to not restart, i would encourage you to press on, and at least give it a shot... you can always create a new character once you know more about the game, but there's plenty of good energy weapons lying around... go through operation anchorage at some point, there's a great energy weapon rewarded for completing it... also, the mutant overlords you might run into could be carrying the tri-beam laser rifle... also, BE CAREFUL OF SUPER MUTANT OVERLORDS!!

the only thing i see being a problem was tagging big guns... but as long as you sink your points into something else for now, you should be alright... there's nothing wrong with a little skill at big guns, it keeps the weapon more steady the better it is... and really, if you want to, use them... i usually have a million pounds of ammo for those weapons... and the gatling laser is pretty nasty... and so are the incenerators... kinda makes me want to create a character and focus on big guns... my last character focused on melee...

@DiO... and karma-wise, it's really all how you play the game... chances are, even if you're a little evil, you'll still be considered a good person... in fallout, the line between good and evil is very thin... a lot of quests have a grey direction, sometimes you don't really know which path is the good path... some are quite obvious, and others are almost reversed, being evil for doing a potentially good thing...

icon11.gif

Im just gonna stick with it. I'll be fine with energy guns. Skyrim taught me that I'll probably play through the game again. So ill be an ahole sneak thief then

it's hard not to steal something in fallout... plus, you can at least sell stolen items because in the wasteland, no one cares where you got it from..

in case you didn't know,

http://fallout.wikia...ortal:Fallout_3

this place has all the answers you will ever need for quests and items...

while i wouldn't tell you to not restart, i would encourage you to press on, and at least give it a shot...

DO: Always good to go through a game first like bOnEs said, so you can learn.

Stealing is easy, red for "don't" and green for "ok"...but keep in mind there is plenty

(and I mean plenty) of looting to provide you with things to sell, and use.

Some places will have so much junk it can fund your next move.

New to the game, a good place to start is Springvale Elementary School. Loads of fun.

About energy, I still end up with 100% energy weapon skill, due to the fact that the Tesla books

are everywhere. Plus in current game upped intel by one adding over all skill to each.

Again the skill books are piling up like a collection of trophies. This time I am trying to organize

them on my book case in the Megaton house but it's surprisingly hard to stack them. Think I will try

stashing the collection at my Tenpenny Tower Suite. (Yes, I have both)

About the Wiki, note that they will sometimes "dumb-down" issues. For example when I found the

un-marked location called Musty Cave, I found a ton of good loot, including darts, like at least 30.

The Wiki guys blow it off to "various unusable low money items"...but if you are a scaver, and especially

new to the game, take what they say with a grain of salt. There is a lot of shit to be had in this game.

I am on day 2 of looting the Enclave Mobile Crawler in my Chinese Stealth Armor.

There is like $20,000 worth of stuff in there, including rare weaponry.

Once the "storyline" is completed, I won't have access to that goodness.

It's easy to play the main storyline, but keep your eyes open and be careful.

Something you ignore or throw away could be golden down the road.

Speech is *really* important for getting things done in Fallout. Lockpick will take you places as well.

If you like stealth, don't throw out radscorp stingers, or toy cars for example. You'll see why later.

Read my write up for Cyantist page back, it's how to get 100% skill sets.