Brian

Classic Titles

I'm just going to list some of the memorable titles I owned or played back in the day, i'll stick to just the Megadrive ones for now though;

Sonic 1,2, 3 S&K

Ecco the Dolphin (fucking hard game)

Streets of Rage

Mortal Kombat

Micro Machines

Tiny Toons Adventure Buster's Hidden Treasure (like an inferior version of Sonic but it had its good parts.)

Mega Lo Mania (another fucking hard game)

Jurassic Park

Home Alone

Flashback

Honourable PC mentions for;

Sam & Max Hit the Road

Day of the Tentacle

and another not as classic but still classic title from Lucasarts (R.I.P.) Grim Fandango

Here's a list of console defining games (for me) over the classic years, that really made that era for me.

My uncles and other older family members owned some of the 70's and early 80's game consoles, which i got to play when i was very young. But my very first own game console was the Sega Master System, part of the third generation, which introduced me to the 80's Gaming Era. The first game that was bought for me on that system was called Pit Fighter. It was a very basic brawler style fighting game, kind of like blood sport, but in game form, and with a very memorable theme tune for me. I had many hours of fun on that, and that was the one game that stands out in my memory.

Shortly after getting my SMS (within a year) I got my hands on a second hand NES. I played the original Super Mario Bros, and i was a changed person, knowing that gaming would be a huge part of my lifestyle from then onward.

NES was my favourite console for a few years until i hit the first Console War of my generation. SNES or MegaDrive(Genisis)... I was a bit older by this point, and i liked a number of game styles. Ultimately i picked the MegaDrive because of some of the titles i had seen, that just looked more like what i liked at the time. The game that really stood out to me in this Era was obviously Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic was Megadrive. But... I spent a good amount of time on this alternative too. Aliens 3 on MD opened my eyes to what a game could be, because this game had me terrified. Walking down claustrophobic sci-fi corridors, with next to no ammo left, knowing an alien would pop up from the floor of out from an above air-vent at any time. And you had to save other people in worse state than you!

I did get a SNES a few years down the line, and i was almost upset i had missed up the opportunity of playing it earlier. Zelda: A Link to the Past was the most outstanding game, and one i played and enjoyed for years. But my real favorite game for this console was Chrono Trigger. It had similar elements to Zelda, and Final Fantasy, but it had time travel!

I completely bypast the N64 and the Dreamcast and went straight for the new entry, which looked (at the time) like ultramodern gaming. The Playstation, which turned out to be the best choice when we look back. I had played the N64 a lot around friends houses, and i liked it, but i wanted the other console. Final Fantasy VII was probably one of the most ambitious games i had ever played at this point, and looking back, still is, ever made. My true favourite game of this generation though, was Metal Gear Solid. It was the first of its kind, and overall, a really well made game, i clocked more hours playing this over and over, than i did play FFVII...

That's the Classic era for me, maybe i'll add the PS2 era, as that's pretty classic now.

Thoughts on this nifty product? It plays NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis games.

I was thinking of buying one, mainly because it is compatible with original controllers for those systems and my old Sega is wayyyy past its prime. Reviews say that the wireless universal controllers they come with are shit, which is expected when you try to pack three configurations onto one controller haha..

retron_3_in_1_console_nes_sega_snes_2.jpg

Well it's all SOAC so the emulation isn't perfect but if you're not one of those dorks that will freak out because the background is slightly purple rather than a solid blue it's perfect. You could get your old consoles working far easier just by properly cleaning the cartridges (Q-tips and isopropyl alcohol aka rubbing alcohol) and the credit card and cloth soaked in alcohol trick for the cartridge port.

Spend the $3 or so it will cost to get proper controllers. The universal ones are indeed shit.

Haha nah I'm not one to nit-pick about little appearance differences.

I have a Sega CD that is pretty banged up, and I never actually had NES/SNES. But the idea of owning a consolidated system like that really sold me because it would be a nice collection piece for my game room.

I really only care about the controls and functionality of the hardware. Yeah, def plan on buying original sega/snes/nes controllers though..

Just got the NES/SNES duo and I'm really satisfied with it. I dont even notice any color differences. Super Mario World and DK Country look great.

The 2 wired controllers it came with are sufficient for now, except that the d-pad is really sensitive.

$50 new at the local trade-in store.

2185064_ATHENATECH_RBRDP1279.jpg

/bump

This was always one of my favorite topics to post in - so glad I decided to expand my collection by purchasing all the older consoles I enjoyed as a youth.

Now that my offspring is beginning to react to objects/lights around her, I can't begin to describe how much my anticipation/excitement is growing to introduce her to Super Mario Brothers, Sonic 2, and other various platformers for the first time.

My most recent purchase:

3229c3cc-f256-4fe7-8680-f2d757ff384b_1.5

The wireless controllers were a big sell for me on this one, plus the 80 games that come pre-loaded to the hard drive. :)

I'd love to play the old Sonics again properly. I bought a 40 games in one collection for the PS3 a few years ago that had 1,2, 3 S&K, but it didn't have the lock-on functionality of the old Sonic & Knuckles cartridge meaning you couldn't play 2 and 3 with it. Felt like I was missing out somwhat on childhood memories not being able to seamlessly transition from 3 into S&K.

Edited by ViceMan

That sounds like a great idea.  I am only familiar with Sonic 2, but it is VERY familiar.  I also played the fuck out of Eternal Champions, Mickey Mania, The Lion King, Earthworm Jim, and Road Rash.

I also had Road Rash 3D for PS1 and that soundtrack was bitchin'.

The first two Sonics are pretty much my entire childhood, 3 and S&K were good but something about 1 and 2, probably the music... I can still vividly remember and hear the music for every zone of the first two in my head. I sometimes find myself humming them randomly, probably due to some psychosomatic link my brain is creating. Just the other day I was playing Factorio, creating a refinery and found myself humming the Oil Ocean Zone music.

• Like 1

Chemical Plant zone happens to be my all time favourite. Well the entire soundtrack for 2 is really, I can't choose between 1 and 2 in terms of best music but they are interchangably my first and second place.