Sign in to follow this  
Handsome B Wonderful

2011 Game(s) Of The Year

2011 GOTY  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm interested to know what games people here consider the best of 2011. I made a poll of some of the big names, but if you thought something else was the ants pants, then you are WRONG, and should seek help immediately.

Also, I'm listing my favourites of the genres I played. I don't play RTS games, so if you thought "Starcraft II: 2011 moar Korean people edition" was great, then by all means, add a catergory for that.

My GOTY list (keeping in mind I haven't played all these games, but I have seen them all in action)

Best Action/Adventure

Winner: L.A Noire

2nd: Uncharted 3

3rd: Infamous 2

L.A Noire just beat out Uncharted 3 for me. Probably because it something different. Also, you could feel up corpses. I really enjoyed Infamous 2 as well.

Best RPG

Winner: Skyrim

2nd: Dark Souls

3rd: The Witcher 2

Derp.

Best Survival Horror

Winner: Shadows Of The Damned

2nd: Dead Island

3rd: Dead Space 2

I know it wasn't anyone's cup of tea going on sales, but I really enjoyed Shadows Of The Damned. The world needs more talking phallic shotguns.

Best FPS

Winner: Crysis 2

2nd: Bulletstorm

3rd: Resistance 3

Crysis 2 had some really awesome moments. Even Skyrim couldn't match it for "giant dude sneaking around in a kickass suit" thrills. Well, not unless you have a kickass assassin with enchanted Daedric daggers or whatever.

Best Racing Sim/Sport

Winner: Forza 4

2nd: FIFA 12

3rd: NHL 12

In almost every respect, Forza 4 blew GT5 out of the water. Still, it was missing a certain charm that GT5 has. FIFA 12 was solid as usual, but not a big enough improvment on 11 to win.

Best Fighter

Winner: Mortaaaaaaaaaaal Kommmmmmbat

2nd: Marvel vs Capcom 3

3rd: I don't play enough fighting games to warrant a third, I'm afraid.

Despite being banned in Australia, I managed to put many hours into MK at a friend's place earlier this year. Much fun was had by all.

Worst Game Of 2011

Duke Nukem Forever

Was piss.

Overall GOTY

5th Mortal Kombat

4th Crysis 2

3rd Uncharted 3

2nd L.A Noire

WINNER

Call Of Du...

I mean, SKYRIM!!!

I chose assassins creed, although a short game i love the series and the characters, the way its written is brilliant. The trouble with skyrim is 1. LOTS AND LOTS OF GLITCHES 2. I never really care what happens to anyone, i never feel like your gaining a relationship with the characters and i find myself just thinking, let the dragons eat em i dont care.

I didnt choose uncharted 3, i dont have a reason really, it was a good game, longer than the last one and i thoughly enjoyed it but even though the guy who voices desmond also voices nate i feel that nate is a bit boring at times, they try to make him mysterious but it doesnt work, still a great game it would be my second choice.

Skyrim would be my third choice. I applaud the makers for the sheer size of the game, the fact that you can play for hours on end and still find some fucker who wants you to find some rock in a cave. But as i said i dont feel i care about skyrim and frankly 30+ hours in its getting all samey. Like i have been in this cave so many times i could do without it. Killed one dragon and u have killed them all. But its still an enjoyable game.

Worst game of 2011: ummmm....the NCIS game, havent played it but was going to buy it until i found out it was all point and click like CSI.

I've put 90+ hours into Skyrim, and I still find new things every time I play. Hell, I didn't even know what spell tomes did until yesterday, and I bought it on the day it came out! I think the more imagination you have in regards to what you don't see in the fallout and elder scrolls games, the more fun you will have.

Oh yeah, my disappointments for 2011

Dragon Age 2

Brink

Homefront

Rage

Star Wars: The Old Republic

For me nothing except LA Noire offered anything different to what we've seen before. The depth and vibrancy of Skyrim's world makes it my number one for 2011 though. I paid £20 for it and racked up over 70 hours of play time. There's always something to keep you occupied, it's brilliant.

I forgot about LA Noire, i enjoyed that a lot. However the fact i forgot about it shows it wasnt that amazing. However the engines they used for the facial anamation was brilliant.

I havent played the others on the poll so cant judge them unfortiunatly. Can u guys name your top 5 favourite games of all time?

Ummm. 5. Rock and roll racing 2 on ps 1, brillian game, really strange racer but brilliant, i recently payed 10 pound on ebay just to get it back.

4. Fahrenheit on ps2. I made a thread on it, just an epic game!

3. Tomb raider series. I enjoyed every single one (exept angle of darkness lol) love using your logic to solve puzzles. Great MC.

Joint first. GTA series. Always a step ahead and brilliant story everytime! Assassins Creed: brilliantly written, great acting, always leaves me wanting the next game straight away, im even reading the brotherhood book.

this is a tough one... i played quite a few good games this year...

L.A. Noire was the early front-runner, but i've played better games as the year rolled along... infamous 2 was good, but not GOTY good... crysis 2 kicked ass, and saints row III ended the year on a good note... and i am currently playing skyrim, but i don't think i can call it my game of the year just yet because i am still in the infant stages of it... level 11 and still in the first castle despite 30 hours sunk into it already...

so i will give it to the game that continues to amaze me with each release... uncharted 3... this epic adventure really was a fun ride, yet again... it's always fun to be in the shoes of nathan drake :D...

does DLC count?? because if i counted DLC, fallout new vegas would be my GOTY two years in a row!!

• Like 1

For me nothing except LA Noire offered anything different to what we've seen before. The depth and vibrancy of Skyrim's world makes it my number one for 2011 though. I paid £20 for it and racked up over 70 hours of play time. There's always something to keep you occupied, it's brilliant.

How come y'all are at 70 hours and i'm probably over 140? Oh yeah, you have social lives. Hah!

Uncharted 3 for me. Epic game which I played through effectively 3 times to get the platinum trophy, and now that I have finished everything, I miss it! Definitely gonna play it again in the future.

Ooo, this is hard. I liked LA noire a lot, Crysis 2 was a fresh angle for FPS, Uncharted 3 took its action to another level. And Skyrim made the biggest-content-packed game in the last decade. It's quite a tough one.

I think Skyrim has my vote due to the amount of time I've put into it so far, and still feeling like there's so much left to discover.

L.A. Noire was the most original game of the year though.

Guest Marney1

Exactly what he said ^

Skyrim is game of the decade, hands down. Assassin's Creed: Revelations and Saints Row: The Third were both great additions to their respective franchises, but I found them both lacking compared to the previous game. Gears of War 3 and Infamous 2 were both amazing sequels, each wrapping up their series' stories perfectly and improving on the previous games in every way. I haven't played Uncharted 3 or Arkham City, but I'm sure they're worthy of the praise they've gotten.

So, my top five are:

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

2. Saints Row: The Third

3. Assassin's Creed: Revelations

4. Infamous 2

5. Gears of War 3

I don't give a shit about the rest of the games in the poll, but I would like to point out that anyone who thinks Modern Warfare 3 is even in the top ten games of the year is an idiot.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations great additions to their respective franchise, but I found it lacking compared to the previous game.

Agree with that part completely.

Bonus points for Ezio being old, though. An older, wiser, world-weary Ezio really added to the story. I loved the endings for Altair and Ezio; the "Sit down and rest a while..." part of Altair's ending really got to me. Having not played the first game, I really didn't give a shit about him going in, but his parts in this game made him grow on me very quickly. The Desmond part kind of ruined the ending, but they kind of have to end the game with him.

i guess i ought to create a top 5 as well... note that skyrim has been disqualified as i am still playing it... but i think it would be pretty high on this list, maybe not tops, but up there...

1) uncharted 3

2) Saints Row III

3) infamous 2

4) LA noire

5) crysis 2

there's lots of follow up games on that list... while of course i thought uncharted 3 was the best of the best, saints row and infamous really really improved drastically over their predecessor, more so than uncharted 3 did over the 2nd one... more so for infamous 2 though, i thought it just flowed so well, and the boss battles were fun... makes me wonder why there wasn't really any in the 1st one... looking back, the 1st game was rather lackluster now that i think about it...

i would love to include games that i played this year that were older titles as i found a few gems out there... and there's still a few games from this year i have yet to check out... i really want to play the new batman and the new assassin's creed but those will have to wait until sometime early next year...

hands down though, i think the worst game i played this year was bodycount... i rented it for one night, and took it back immediately... i somehow managed to get 13% of the trophies and all i did was run around shooting nonstop... talk about boring, i can shoot people thru walls in lots of games these days, and games all have destructible environments too... this game thought it was being original but it wasn't even close...

honorable mentions for GOTY for me would be "bulletstorm" and "007: bloodstone"... both were good old fashioned fun :D...

Bonus points for Ezio being old, though. An older, wiser, world-weary Ezio really added to the story. I loved the endings for Altair and Ezio; the "Sit down and rest a while..." part of Altair's ending really got to me. Having not played the first game, I really didn't give a shit about him going in, but his parts in this game made him grow on me very quickly. The Desmond part kind of ruined the ending, but they kind of have to end the game with him.

Have you watched assassins creed embers yet? Its brilliant and i meant to say on the AC thread to you, collect all the memoir pages and you find a hidden tomb, in there is some sweet armour! I found it strange that they wanted you to have a relationship with desmond but in his parts its first person, surely it should have been third? Im going to miss Ezio in the next one. I felt sorry for altair, i never played the 1st one through but i felt like i should when i finished it. I still prefere Ezio tho.

1. Skyrim (It's a Fallout replacement but better)

2. L.A. Noire (even tho it was really short it was still good)

3. Deus Ex (Sort of reminded me of Metal Gear)

4. Football Manager 2012 (i hate it cos it's so realistic and Andy Carroll is still shit! and no one will buy him from me!!! But it's still amazing)

5. Mod Warfare 3 (Good to finally finish the storyline, it almost ended up being like the Matrix films, 1st one amazing and the other to you just wanted to know how it ends. Bad Company is funner to play)

My Games of the Year:

Action/ Adventure- Uncharted 3 with Batman Arkham City as a close second

RPG- Skyrim

Shooter- Battlefield 3 tied with Resistance 3

Sports Game- NHL 12

Fighting Game- Mortal Kombat

Racing Game- Forza 4

Biggest Disappointment- Duke Nukem Forever

Worst Game- Duke Nukem Forever

Overall-

5. Resistance 3

4. Saints Row The Third

3. Batman Arkham City

2. Skyrim

1. Uncharted 3

Dark Souls was majorly under the radar for me, but I heard about the others almost non-stop throughout 2011. Odd he hasn't heard of a lot of them. I'm sure there's a reason for it, though.

Ughh I barely have time to play games from a few years ago.

Sports NCAA football 12

fps bf3 I never played crysis

RPG I guess skyrim only about 3 hours in had it since November

Action adventure dead island

Haven't played to much this year

Game of the year NCAA football 12 hell yea