CaPn bOnEs

Official Box Art Revealed...

It's probably an accident as much as the helicopters in the top corner. They don't sit there and say "how do we make it different than the last" they just put it together however they like.

Generally they keep it the same, as to where they put certain artworks on the front cover, a helicopter has been in the top left of every GTA cover since 3.

They pretty much got the SA front cover and changed it to fit in with the story and the new details in the game.

gta-grand-theft-auto-san-andreas-cover-front.jpgactual_1364906194.jpg

Copter top left, blonde center left, guy with face covered center top, guy on two wheels top right, new relevant transport in the center, cars down the bottom and guys holding guns.

Only things different is obviously Chop, new feature, no poker chips, no Vegas, and Truth the free loving hippy has been swapped for Trevor, probably the biggest maddest badass to ever be in a GTA game.

They made it so it resembles the SA front cover, and they've done a good job. I don't know why but looking a the new one, for me it makes the game look like it'll be a lot more gritty and dark, more serious than it's predeceases.

I like it (Y)

• Like 2

from a designer perspective, something was standing out to me... it's the balance of color...

post-24-0-48988200-1364964125.jpg

the flow and balance of the complimentary colors makes the presentation jump out to me (it's probably just me).. now i know why the 'chop' dog had a new BG, and the beach girl didn't have the blue pier scene from the official artwork... it's "officially" balanced :P...

EDIT: updated the image, left out poor franklin at the bottom...

• Like 6

I doubt the layout is by accident

there's quite some similarities to previous titles in terms of arrangement of the pictures, like the helicopter up left.

also, the layout it is quite equal to that of the IV era covers, as seen in this comparison at the gtaforums:

leHkGb5.jpg

and yes, bones is right about the color balance, this intention is more than obvious seeing how they changed backgrounds on certain already existing artworks to achieve it.

I doubt the layout is by accident

there's quite some similarities to previous titles in terms of arrangement of the pictures, like the helicopter up left.

also, the layout it is quite equal to that of the IV era covers, as seen in this comparison at the gtaforums:

leHkGb5.jpg

and yes, bones is right about the color balance, this intention is more than obvious seeing how they changed backgrounds on certain already existing artworks to achieve it.

My, they really are quite similar, V is just all amped up. And Chop is way better than Faustin lol

wow all this shit is cool and thumbs up on that ^ comparison of the two box arts, but im just not feeling it from the new box art maybe if they swapped the gas mask out for the guys face whos name starts with a M and swapped the jet ski out for a pic of the white van on fire then i might feel it better or if they put a different pic of Trevor in it.

so yes i feel it a little but at least i feel it.

"I noticed that nearly every Grand Theft Auto box art since GTAIII has a helicopter in the top left corner. Why is that?" - received via Mouthoff

We are not really sure. It just happened that way, and we've kept it often as a sort of signature. On the boxes, we try to give people a flavor of the game, and in every GTA, helicopters seem to play a major part, so it always seems relevant. We also change the color palette and style of art between each game, but perhaps these changes are only apparent to us! Another interesting fact - only GTA3 featured different packaging for the US and Europe. After that, we decided to keep things consistent across the world.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/2821/asked-answered-re-red-dead-redemption-la-noire-rockstar-san-dieg.html

• Like 3

"I noticed that nearly every Grand Theft Auto box art since GTAIII has a helicopter in the top left corner. Why is that?" - received via Mouthoff

We are not really sure. It just happened that way, and we've kept it often as a sort of signature. On the boxes, we try to give people a flavor of the game, and in every GTA, helicopters seem to play a major part, so it always seems relevant. We also change the color palette and style of art between each game, but perhaps these changes are only apparent to us! Another interesting fact - only GTA3 featured different packaging for the US and Europe. After that, we decided to keep things consistent across the world.

http://www.rockstarg...r-san-dieg.html

this will explain why they all ways have a helicopter in the corner

thank you fitty for that info on box art.

The box art cover brings out the colour and vibe as what Los Santos should be, like how Gta 4's box art was to show the dullness of Liberty City. Love it!

Not really seeing the point of this anymore... Why reveal the boxart before the mural is done? Why not reveal the boxart before you start or after you finish?

Shit don't add up.

Not really seeing the point of this anymore... Why reveal the boxart before this is done? Why not reveal the boxart before you start or after you finish?

Shit don't add up.

It's ment primarily as bill board ad..

The legacy... how far we've come. Kinda sad in a way that all those games are behind us.

XJW9kjC.jpg

The years have gone by so quickly. Some of us have been hanging around here talking about these games for 10 years. I wonder how many more years we'll stick around for?!

On a side note, I've always wondered what the orange artwork was behind the GTA3 logo on the cover...

Although the version of GTA III I got had the original boxart before R* started doing the classic GTA frames style... until they went back and altered it to fit with the rest.

ps2boxartUK.jpg

Before what is done?

I think me means before the painted mural was complete.

Yes that's what I meant. Got the topics mixed up for a sec.

Not really seeing the point of this anymore... Why reveal the boxart before this is done? Why not reveal the boxart before you start or after you finish?

Shit don't add up.

Then why reveal half of the boxart with it just to reveal the full boxart before it's even done? They could've just used 1 artwork or the GTA V logo as advertisement like they've been doing for a while now.

I guess it's still possible that they'll reveal a video like they did for GTA IV.

Before what is done?

Shit don't add up.

Then why reveal half of the boxart with it just to reveal the full boxart before it's even done? They could've just used 1 artwork or the GTA V logo as advertisement like they've been doing for a while now.

I guess it's still possible that they'll reveal a video like they did for GTA IV.

It's called a teaser.

Before what is done?

Shit don't add up.

I think they probably just dont have their shit together... remember when the hurricane locally delayed the release of the trailer globally...