Indy

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

if you listen to the peasants in solitude, a lot of people felt like ulfric won it outright... the stormcloaks fight for the freedom of nord heritage in their native land of skyrim... and the imperials fight for the empire which rules all of tamriel...

You should really look past Ulfric and Tullius and look at the cause of their armies. Tullius wants to bring Ulfric to justice (as he sees it), and really, Ulfric just wants to be the High King. But the Stormcloaks are fighting for religious freedom and to stop the oppression of the Empire, which is the Aldmeri Dominion's lapdog, and the Imperials, like Tullius, are just trying to stop Ulfric.

That helps somewhat, thanks you guys. Since it's my first Elder Scrolls game, I hadn't really been thinking of the world beyond Skyrim. I suppose your first playthrough is for learning much of what you're going to do the second time around. If I had chosen a race other than Khajiit, loyalties might be more straightforward. For now, she's just going to keep upping skills in smithing, archery and sneaking, and stealing everything of value she comes across. :)

You should really look past Ulfric and Tullius and look at the cause of their armies. Tullius wants to bring Ulfric to justice (as he sees it), and really, Ulfric just wants to be the High King. But the Stormcloaks are fighting for religious freedom and to stop the oppression of the Empire, which is the Aldmeri Dominion's lapdog, and the Imperials, like Tullius, are just trying to stop Ulfric.

I hear what your saying but I think that giving ulfric power would have the same general outcome as overthrowing the Sha of Iran did in the 1970s.

I don't know all the details, but if a religion is enough to convince you to want to overthrow a government and install someone as morally weak as Ulfric, it's a pretty powerful religion. People talk about wanting religious freedom, but ultimately its only freedom to practice one religion, the worship of Talos.

Its my opinion that if you get rid of the structured government of the empire its only a matter of time before religious freedom becomes religious fundamentalism.

Also, although the empire has forbade worship of Talos, they seem to only enforce it when it serves their need to make some political point. There are plenty of people in Skyrim worshiping Talos.

Then you have the dragons, bandits, and other factions within Skyrim to deal with.

Ulfric might be dragonborn, but thats no reason to give him the riegns to the kingdom.

The empire has an interest in protecting skyrim from these threats because Skyrim is a source of income in the form of taxes and raw materials for trade.

I just dont see Ulfric acting in a simular or better manor. The empire is a continuing interest, which means that even when the current emporer dies, his son will take over. Because of this, the emporers want to ensure the strength of the empire over the long run. Ulfric, on the other hand is one man with a lust for power using religion as an excuse to topple a benign but unpopular government.

He might care about protecting whiterun and solitude, but i highly doubt that places like winterhold will mater to a dictator like Ulfric. His game is to sqeeze the most out of the citizens now so he can enjoy the spoils of victory and after he dies, who cares what skyrim looks like.

Ulfric might be ok if you live in the major trading cities in skyrim, because those will make him money. Outside of that, you beter start praying to talos.

the stormcloaks aren't forcing their religion on you, they're just fighting for the right to worship their god... and god worship is strong throughout tamriel... ulfric isn't this crazy leader either, he's noble and fights for most of the citizens of skyrim, and most of the residents are nords too... worship of talos is a nord thing...

the imperials want control over the people, and they've basically removed worship of any god throughout their empire because of it's ability to cloud judgement and rule decisions... imperials don't care about what the people want, they do things in favor of the true rulers of tamriel, the empire (and the thalmor), who rule from an entirely different part of the world...

they even want to get rid of the jarls as they see it as an archaic way to deal with situations, and keeps the holds free from each other...i stlll see the empire as the more evil route, but it's still a grey area...

Ulfric is fighting for the freedom of the native people of Skyrim the nords, But the downside is he is a racist, if you let him become high king your people the Khajiit will be banned from dealing their goods in the front of major cities.

Tullius is trying to help Skyrim by making it multicultural for resources. But the downside is, he is trying to ban all nordic religion throughout Skyrim and trying to make Skyrim become part of it's Empire.

In a war against the Aldmeri Dominion, possible upcoming dlc.

Ulfric as leader has no chance of survival. Tullius as leader stands and equal chance of winning.

I'm a Wood Elf and I say, no racism.

• Like 3

The great thing about it is, youre not really forced to choose a side. If you feel that your Khajit is neutral and doesnt concern herself with such matters, just go about your business and steal from their camps :P

I never planned on joining a side with my wood elf, but there just so happened to be an instance out in the plains of Solitude that i described earlier that convinced me otherwise.

Both factions are cunts.

The imperials are loosely aligned with the Thalmor. Who are the royal cunts of Tamriel and should be dispatched at first sight. Don't even think about it, just kill them. On the other hand are the religiously oppressed racists, aka Stormcloaks.

Choosing between the Thalmor lapdogs and the Nord facist army is difficult because neither is without severe flaws.

Just a bit of history to help inform your decision. The Empire (Imperials) and Aldmeri Dominion (Thalmor) fought in the Great War. The Empire lost, and subsequently the White-Gold Concordat (treaty) was formed. As part of a treaty, they have had to ban Talos worship. If the Imperials stop rebellions, they may be able to strengthen and defeat the Aldmeri Dominion at a later date. On the other hand, none of this matters because the Redguards are badass.

Learn yo history: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Great_War

Excellent responses, thanks to you veteran players for weighing in. It helps to look at this from the history and perspective of Tamriel as a whole, and not just from Skyrim. There's a lot to absorb, and I'm just nerdy enough to care about the big picture. I even read some (not all) of the books scattered on shelves in the places I'm rummaging in, that's been enlightening for many things other than tips on how to kill giants or learning poison recipes etc.

The completionist in me wants to get the trophies associated with choosing one side or the other, and I can see that both sides realistically have their good and bad points of view, i.e.:

Both factions are cunts.

Learn yo history: http://elderscrolls..../wiki/Great_War

...I always have the wiki open on my tablet while I'm playing now, researching stuff without reading too many spoilers. I'll check out that article, thanks for the tip. :salute:

The great thing about it is, youre not really forced to choose a side.

I never planned on joining a side with my wood elf, but there just so happened to be an instance out in the plains of Solitude that i described earlier that convinced me otherwise.

My Khajiit Marra is pretty neutral so far, the Thieves' Guild and the College of Winterhold have been keeping her busy without getting too political as yet. Perhaps when she makes it to other parts of the map, she'll have some sort of interaction that will sway her one way or the other, as your wood elf did. I'm pretty happy to let that happen naturally this time through, it's part of the unique beauty of Bethesda's games.

It would be fun to create another character who has a clear loyalty to either Imperials or Stormcloacks from the very beginning, and roleplay that attitude hard all the way through.

I really got into the Theives Guild questline because it pertained to my character so well. I had a lot of fun doing all the extra jobs and the special jobs to get to Guild Master status. Seeing the inventory on the shelves in the Flagon piling up and getting all that sweet armor gave me quite the sense of accomplishment (Y)

It was easier for my elf to join the Imperials, given the fact that the Stormcloaks aren't as inviting to the other races, as they are to the Nords.

Ulfric is fighting for the freedom of the native people of Skyrim the nords, But the downside is he is a racist, if you let him become high king your people the Khajiit will be banned from dealing their goods in the front of major cities.

Tullius is trying to help Skyrim by making it multicultural for resources. But the downside is, he is trying to ban all nordic religion throughout Skyrim and trying to make Skyrim become part of it's Empire.

Ulfric as leader has no chance of survival. Tullius as leader stands and equal chance of winning.

Tullius has no motives with Skyrim. He's following the Thalmor's orders and trying to kill Ulfric. Skyrim is already part of the Empire, it always has been.

The Empire has been corrupt and all around weak since the last Dragonborn emperor died during the events of Oblivion, and the Great War only made it weaker. In siding with Ulfric and freeing Skyrim from the Empire, you free them from the Thalmor. A Stormcloak Skyrim is a neutral Skyrim, to an extent. They have no obligation to even acknowledge the Thalmor or their self-proclaimed authority. With the Empire defeated, the Thalmor don't have enough men in Skyrim to stop the Stormcloaks from driving them out, and they have nothing to gain from returning to Skyrim in force.

Another war with the Aldmeri Dominion is inevitable, but the Empire is stuck licking the Dominion's boots until it grows a pair of Septim bloodline-sized balls. Until that time, a Stormcloak Skyrim is free from all that shit.

Amazing how I ignore real world politics, but will rant about video game politics at great length...

• Like 5

Tullius has no motives with Skyrim. He's following the Thalmor's orders and trying to kill Ulfric. Skyrim is already part of the Empire, it always has been.

The Empire has been corrupt and all around weak since the last Dragonborn emperor died during the events of Oblivion, and the Great War only made it weaker. In siding with Ulfric and freeing Skyrim from the Empire, you free them from the Thalmor. A Stormcloak Skyrim is a neutral Skyrim, to an extent. They have no obligation to even acknowledge the Thalmor or their self-proclaimed authority. With the Empire defeated, the Thalmor don't have enough men in Skyrim to stop the Stormcloaks from driving them out, and they have nothing to gain from returning to Skyrim in force.

Another war with the Aldmeri Dominion is inevitable, but the Empire is stuck licking the Dominion's boots until it grows a pair of Septim bloodline-sized balls. Until that time, a Stormcloak Skyrim is free from all that shit.

Amazing how I ignore real world politics, but will rant about video game politics at great length...

I'm interested to see how the rebellion will be written in future Elder Scrolls games. Regardless, I'd like to see the Stormcloaks (Skyrim) and Redguards (Hammerfell) form an alliance, and take the fight to Summerset Isle.

However, if history dictates that the Imperials beat the rebellion, I'd like to see the Empire fighting the Thalmor, ultimately ending with Hammerfell coming to the aid of the Empire. Think WW2

The Second Great War would make a great setting for the next Elder Scrolls game.

• Like 1

Level 81, due to some book found in an igloo.

I thought the exploit with the Oghma Infinium had been fixed?

Hermaeus Mora's champion isn't going to be happy with this devious trickery.

As for the Imperial/Stormcloak debate... Well, the Empire was founded by Talos. The fact that many Nords are fighting against the Empire due to their devotion to Talos is somewhat misguided. Whichever choice they (or you as the player) make it is not in the Nords best interests - they overthrow the Empire and they are no longer part of Talos' creation - they stay with the Empire and they cannot overtly worship him. It is all the Aldmeri Dominion's doing anyway, to drive a wedge between the Empire's subjects and weaken it. There is no right or wrong answer as to which faction to join, just do what makes sense for that character. I have liberated Skyrim several times, but then again I have also conquered it for the Empire equally as many times.

• Like 1

There's bread everywhere. Grab a roasted goat leg and you've got a pretty decent sandwich.

Hoarder loaf, its more economical.

http://www.bethblog.com/2013/04/15/moving-to-our-next-adventure/

Skyrim has been a labor of love for us since we started designing it in 2006. We never imagined it would become the phenomenon it has. And that is because of you, the fans. It was all of you who made it a success. We can’t thank you enough for embracing the game, spreading the word, and making it your own.

For the last year and a half we’ve been working on new content for Skyrim; from the game updates, Creation Kit, Steam Workshop, Kinect support, to DLCs. Parts of our team have also been in pre-production on our next major project, and that game is at the point where it requires the studio’s full attention to make it our biggest and best work yet.

Even though we’re moving on, we’ll still have minor updates to Skyrim as needed. We’ve invested so much of ourselves into Skyrim and will never truly say goodbye to it.

We loved hearing your stories, your in-game triumphs, and your suggestions. One thing stuck out to us through those emails, letters, and postings. And that is – video games matter. They’re as important to you as they are to us. It’s not just about entertainment, it’s about your time. And you chose to spend it with our game.

Thank you again for all your support. We hope you stay engaged in the gaming community here and elsewhere. Keep spreading the word. Games are the world’s best entertainment because they can do what other forms cannot – fill you with the wonder of exploration and the pride of accomplishment. We look forward to sharing our next adventure with you.

Until next time,

Bethesda Game Studios

Wah? I thought they had at least one more add-on left in them. Oh well.

Bethesda has posted a mysterious teaser. Released on Twitter, the six-second Vine video shows off barbed wire, a spinning record and the music of Johann Sebastian Bach.

https://vine.co/v/bFPjjheVnau

When asked if the tease is related to Fallout on Twitter, Bethesda vice president of marketing Pete Hines posted "guess again."

Interesting!