Massacre

Assassin's Creed

I would happily buy a standalone pirate game, but if this is real, I'll be on the fence about it until I've played it.

The naval combat didn't really feel much like AC to me. Ironic, considering it was one of the best things about AC3.

I've still got my fingers crossed for a modern day AC, or even the futuristic version I mentioned way back. On that note, Watch_Dogs seems very AC-esque to me. I thought the title was just a codename at first. This says to me that a near-future AC game would work, but the fact that Watch_Dogs exists makes it pretty unlikely, because the games would be too similar.

A man can dream...

It seems Ubisoft listened to the fans with the naval combat, that was the best thing about ACIII. However the game itself was a little lacklustre and consequently I can't get hyped for any news about AC IV, which is a shame because i'd like to be.

This is plausible considering the relatively short turnaround time between release dates. I can see them taking existing naval battle mechanics from 3 as the basis for 4.

There are great historical eras to mine for pirate lore in which the Assassin/Templar battle could fit...I'm just not sure if they can pull off "Assassins of the Caribbean" and make it feel like part of the existing series.

The Barbary Corsairs were notorious pirates from North Africa so it's a possibility it could be centred around there in the Mediterranean.

Although it seems Edward Kenway might be the main character according to rumours.

Can't say I'm too hyped for this after how disappointed I was with AC3, it seems like their milking this series with half assed cash ins at this point. Hope they prove me wrong but I doubt it.

• Like 2

So it's official.

http://au.ign.com/ar...ox-art-revealed

The protag has 4 pistols on the box art? lol, is this a FPS AC?

I can't say I'm opposed to the AC series as a whole, and there is a severe lack of quality piracy themed shenanigans in the gaming world, but I just don't think these two things will go together well.

If Ubisoft had announced a spin-off game set in the Caribbean that had similar themes and fighting mechanics to AC, but no shitty Desmond storyline, and no jumping into haystacks every 20 seconds, I would have jizzed all over myself. Instead, when I heard about AC3: Walk The Plank Edition (face it, that's what this is), I thought "hmm, sounds original" and went back to thinking about games that actually sound interesting.

Thanks Ubisoft for listening to the majority of AC fans who have been asking for a feudal Japan setting since the first game. Oh well, there's always next year.

@HBW - pirates typically carried multiple pistols in a fight because of how long it took to load them... i gotta say though, if the flag from this game is in a collector edition, i will buy it :D...

post-24-0-27502000-1362060439_thumb.jpg

i too am concerned at how this will fit into the world of assassin's creed, just like the rest of you... but AC3 proved that they're evolving the series into it being more than just stealthy assassins... hell, in brotherhood i started to get that feeling... the order of assassin's wasn't much of a kept secret anymore...

also, i don't know if anyone saw this, but supposedly the other side of that leaked poster a few days ago had this on the back of it, the map of AC4 :thumbup:...

post-24-0-29696200-1362060659_thumb.jpg

while i agree that this should of been created as a seperate entity, and i also don't know why it's called IV when it's more like 3.25, but i've wanted a true pirate game and if this game can deliver on just a fraction of that lore, i will be forever grateful because i know this will open the door for others to test the waters in this particular genre...

that thought alone is what has me excited about this game :D...

I feel as if AC III is still a pretty new game, I've barely played it... I hope not every game after this is going to be annual. The only annual game that succeeds is CoD, due to the online aspect. AC though, has complete shit MP (in my opinion). I don't even play CoD anymore, but AC multi-player is just terrible, and serves no replay value.

If the game is centre around 1715, then the assassin could definitely be

Edward Kenway

. I wonder who they will put in the animus this time though, maybe

William Miles?

No spoiler needed for this one. Edward Kenway has been confirmed as the protagonist.

where was this confirmation massacre?? i haven't heard anything along those lines except speculation... kotaku seems to have insider information from the source itself, but they're refraining from leaking it for fear of losing those connections...

@hussain - not a bad guess for the modern day protag... didn't think about that one... i thought maybe they'd tap into a new guy who had no idea of his past... but then we'd be re-training a new character to be an assassin... you're probably right on that one...

Second link prompted me to begin a 30mb download, mp4 file. Thought it would be a very low-res version of the trailer, but it was actually a pretty decent resolution. All CGI, very well done. Wasn't excessively boat-ish. Has my interest.

If you can't wait two days and the download works for you, give it a go.