PS4 will definitely have lots of failures just like the XB1, I'll definitely be getting a 5 year insurance with mine when I get a PS4 sometime next year because I know 100% it'll probably break within that time.

Sony put the failure rate at 0.4% for PS4 so it'll be good to see what happens when this launches in the EU.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-serious-are-the-ps4-s-blue-light-of-death-and-broken-hardware-reports/1100-6416222/

I've been looking at a few of the reviews though, the headset which comes with it looks cheap but it's too early to say which system will be better.

Almost every "headset" I've ever bought has had problems, the ps3 blue tooth thing was intermittent at best , the xbox 360's headset had a bad habit of becoming really garbled and was uncomfortable anyway. Even the logitech ones I've owned for PC I don't think are very good quality. headsets are just a cheap product I think.

A better option is to buy the headphones of your choice and then buy this cheapo operator style microphone and use the little velcro dots to attach it. If you're cheap you could cable tie the two cables together but I had some spare heat shrink tubing so I used that to look better. The quality of this cheap $3 is astounding.

velcro dots: http://www.adorama.com/LQVP5.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase&utm_term=ir&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid27795

of course this wont help if the console mic inputs dont use seperate microphone/audio inputs, but it's the best for PC imo.

I realize I probably went off on a tangent

I bought a pair of Turtle Beach X41's two years ago and I had have absolutely no issues with it other than having to replace the talk back chord which was like $5.

I bought a pair of Turtle Beach X41's two years ago and I had have absolutely no issues with it other than having to replace the talk back chord which was like $5.

This. I got tired of replacing them, so I just wear a regular Xbox headset around my neck in conjunction with the headset. :lol:

/offtopicrant

==========================

In relevant news, Amazon reviewers are pissed off about the failure rate. 2,470 people reviewed the PS4; of those, 651 complained of a failure right out of the box. Crazy shit, I hope Sony rectifies this soon.

==========================

In relevant news, Amazon reviewers are pissed off about the failure rate. 2,470 people reviewed the PS4; of those, 651 complained of a failure right out of the box. Crazy shit, I hope Sony rectifies this soon.

inb4 someone blacksox blames this on Xbox fanboys again

I'm guessing that you are referring to the PS4's failure rate. Which has been blown way out of proportion by some of the Gaming News sites ( probably trying to get more hits ), and by Xbox Trolls making 1 Star Reviews for the PS4 on Amazon.

Too late they've already been blamed...

These people had legitimate gripes, Black. I doubt they'd be so extreme in their console rivalry that they'd register false accounts on Amazon and spam 1-star reviews. Oddly, most people don't take the console rivalry seriously (who'da thunk it???) -- they recognize the differences between Microsoft and Sony's product as minimal. They realize that people's preference for either company will differ and they accept the opinions of others with an absolute minimum of ranting tirades against their preferred company's rival.

• Like 1

These people had legitimate gripes, Black. I doubt they'd be so extreme in their console rivalry that they'd register false accounts on Amazon and spam 1-star reviews. Oddly, most people don't take the console rivalry seriously (who'da thunk it???) -- they recognize the differences between Microsoft and Sony's product as minimal. They realize that people's preference for either company will differ and they accept the opinions of others with an absolute minimum of ranting tirades against their chosen company's rival.

In other words, most people are rational when it comes to consoles that haven't even been out for a full week yet each unlike you.

These people had legitimate gripes, Black. I doubt they'd be so extreme in their console rivalry that they'd register false accounts on Amazon and spam 1-star reviews. Oddly, most people don't take the console rivalry seriously (who'da thunk it???) -- they recognize the differences between Microsoft and Sony's product as minimal. They realize that people's preference for either company will differ and they accept the opinions of others with an absolute minimum of ranting tirades against their preferred company's rival.

Your fake neutrality is a joke really, like a lot of Xbox Fanboys all of a sudden you like and respect both consoles. Even though for years you probably ragged on the PS3.

I already know that the majority of people in the English speaking world bought the Xbox 360 over the PS3 ( USA, Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand ), so most of them are biased, either admitting that they are Xbox Fans or pretending to be neutral now that they have seen the superior product offered by Sony.

And there is a major difference between Microsoft and Sony's products this time around, with the PS4 having the obvious technical edge. Meaning Exclusives will look and run much better on the PS4, as well as Multiplat Games looking clearly better on the PS4, and with a smoother Frame Rate ( like with BF4, COD Ghosts & Assassin's Creed 4 ). Your precious Xbox One can't even run these Old-Gen games at Native 1080p now, how will it handle more ambitious games in the future.

Plus Sony has more First Party Developers which means more exclusive AAA games. And has a better premium service, with PS+ giving you tonnes of free new games, compared too Xbox Gold giving you a pathetic selection of 2 old games a month. But idiots like you love to eat up all the crap that Microsoft squeezes out too you. So you will blindly buy the same crappy console ( like you did with the 360 ), with all the mediocre games running at 720p upscaled to 1080 ( which is the same as the 360/ which is Pathetic ). And pretend that you have a Next-Gen Console, instead of a shitty Multi Media Device which does some gaming on the side.

So good luck too you with that crap, but you're a bloody hypocrite.

I didn't rag on the PS3 at all, Black, because I'm capable of realizing that it does not matter. Given that the first point you made in that wall of text was completely unfounded and illogical, I'll not read the rest of your rant.

Enjoy your day, cupcake.

Owning a PS3 for two years before getting my 360, and playing both side by side for three years after that, the 360 was far superior in almost every aspect, and I was a Sony fanboy in the beginning.

You do not have first hand experience with both, so why do you consist on constantly bashing on it.

• Like 1

Xbox had better gui, controller and was quick to adapt to netflix/amazon streaming

Xbox had better gui, controller and was quick to adapt to netflix/amazon streaming

Free games are not a huge deal, because the majority of the free games are ones a lot of people would never touch. All games that seem important to a console are developed by major studios and sold for the full price, that's how it is. The "old" games offered on Gold were actually really good games, including ACII, Halo 3, and Fable III.

O.K. so Xbox Gold has just recently given you "3" OLD AAA Games. And you say that no one would touch the free games that were given out on PS Plus.

Over the last couple of years Sony ( through PlayStation Plus ) have given out dozens of AAA games. Only a few months after they were released at the time.

Here is a list of Free PS3 Games ( Euro & US PlayStation Stores ) just going back to about June 2012 ( even though PS Plus started in 2010 ) ~

~ Uncharted 3

~ Red Dead Redemption

~ Batman Arkham City

~ Mass Effect 3

~ Sleeping Dogs

~ Demon Souls

~ Dead Space 2

~ XCOM: Enemy Unknown

~ Infamous 2

~ Battlefield 3

~ Saints Row: The Third

~ Deus Ex: Human Revolution

~ Hitman Absolution

~ Little Big Planet 2

~ Saints Row 2

~ Just Cause 2

~ Crysis 2

~ Vanquish

~ Resident Evil 5

~ Lord of the Rings: War in the North

~ Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

~ Borderlands

~ Darksiders

~ Bioshock 2 ( very underrated for a solid game )

~ Mortal Kombat

~ Gotham City Imposters

~ Motorstorm Apocalypse

~ Bulletstorm

~ Starhawk

~ Dead or Alive 5

~ Catherine

~ Okami HD

~ Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection

~ Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

~ Limbo

~ Ratchet & Clank: All for One

~ Super Street Fighter lV

~ Mega Man 9 & 10

~ Payday: The Heist

~ Lara Croft Guardian of Light ( Tomb Raider Game )

~ Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light ( another Tomb Raider )

~ Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

~ Retro City Rampage

~ Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD

~ Outland

~ The Cave

~ NBA Jam On Fire Edition

~ NFL Blitz

~ Virtua Fighter 5

Plus more, but these are the best...

Notable PSP/Vita Titles~

~ Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

~ Super Stardust

~ Rayman Origins

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

~ Uncharted Golden Abyss

~ Gravity Rush

~ Wipeout 2048

~ Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny

~ Plants Vs Zombies

~ Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus

~ Chronovolt

~ Unit 13

~ Mortal Kombat

And more, but these are some of the better games.

Yeah you're right, no AAA games here...

Plus this list was made in June. There have been even more Games given out since then.

PS4's "Blue Light of Death" continues to swell, up taking the 360 as least reliable console on launch. http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/171143-broken-ps4-is-the-ps4-the-next-xbox-360-or-is-the-web-blowing-it-out-of-proportion

What's worrying is they don't know what the malfunction is.

Still I'd wait till both consoles have released worldwide before making a judgement.

Nah, I didn't think it was. I'm just saying compare the xbox one to the ps4. The one with the least ammount of power is want will determine the upper limit of quality this cycle

PS4's "Blue Light of Death" continues to swell, up taking the 360 as least reliable console on launch. http://www.extremete...t-of-proportion

Still I'd wait till both consoles have released worldwide before making a judgement.

Regardless of what issues are present on launch both consoles will be fantastic consoles. As big a fanboy as BlackSox is, you have to disregard the Amazon reviews for now. Most people will place a negative review before they place a positive review. This is because if they enjoy the product they are busy enjoying the product and if they don't, they feel the need to warn people. There are exceptions of course with people genuinely interested in helping other people with their purchase decisions as well as teenagers who by and large, just want to be heard (no disrepect intended to those here). There will be some Xbox fans who create fake accounts to poorly rate the PS4 but the amount of people will be negligible. At the end of the day, you can't reasonably believe that 25% of people are dissatisfied with either console.

As for the better console, Qd is spot on: the console with the lower specs will dictate the quality of games we receive. Because of this, any discussion on specs relating to games (services, streaming and video/music may be a different story) is irrelevant.

Finally, both consoles will have issues on launch, some minor and potentially some major. Hussain is right in saying both consoles need to be available worldwide before proper judgment can be made. The launch consoles won't be the final versions of each and what you get on launch may not be the day-to-day console you get in the middle-to-end of the cycle.

I will be buying a PS4 not because it's the better console but because it's the better console for me. I've had every PS since the original, never had one until 2-3 years after launch and this time around will probably be the same. I'll be happy with my purchase just like Xbox One buyers will be happy with theirs.

• Like 5

PS4's "Blue Light of Death" continues to swell, up taking the 360 as least reliable console on launch. http://www.extremete...t-of-proportion

Recently Sony was able to verify the issue by one or two of the consoles sent in for repair. The issue is actually not a failure of the HDMI port but a piece of metal that is supposed to be fleshed with the console sticking up. Plugging in the HDMI cable resulted in it being cut and thus no output image. The solution is as easy as this; simply push the metal piece down so that it is out of the way and it will work as normal! There is no faulty ports as far as Sony can tell. As a safety precaution when you get a PS4 make sure to check the HDMI port before you plug the cable in! It seems the faulty metal piece is the majority if not all of the HDMI port issues.

Another issue that seems to be coming in from a small amount of users is that some PS4s are getting flashing Red Lines. Do not get scared if you happen to see this as it is NOT a console failure but means that for some reason it is not well ventilated or getting overly hot. It’s a safety measure to keep your PS4 safe. Simply let it cool and it will be back to normal. It's not a Red Line of Death unless it's solid, and you can't keep playing the PS4 if the red line is blinking, so you'd have to have it in an oven for it to stay on a solid red line.

There is still a possibility of other issues that could happen within that %.4 or less margin. If for any reason you do have an issue that persists make sure to contact Sony right away for support and to get a new console if applicable.

It’s a huge sigh of relief that this isn’t something major and is a quick fix. It seems like hopefully the PS4 will have a smooth launch besides this small HDMI fluke. With it well into launch day there hasn’t been any uproar or reports of other issues other than PSN being up and down due to high volume. Sony said they are working fast to get everything back up and running (which seems to be the case right now) and they are actively working on the PS4 OS to clean it up and smash any performance and bug issues.

take it with a grain of salt, the guy who posted it originally doesn't have the best rep

That article is a load of biased bullshit. The PS4 is not the least reliable console at launch, that honour falls to the Xbox 360 ( with it's RROD fiasco ).

Here are 4 reasons why that article is bullshit ~

1) You have to remember that this is the biggest console launch in the history of Gaming, with over 1 million PS4's already sold ( in North America alone! ).

2) If you couple reason 1 with the idea that Social Media is more prevalent than it was during the launch of Last-Gen's Consoles, you will understand that any gamers with problem systems will be more visible.

3) There is a massive Console War going on right now ( if you haven't noticed ). With plenty of Hardcore Fans for both consoles willing to make fake reviews, and post disinformation on forums ( it will probably happen when the X1 comes out as well ).

4) There is the reality that most people will more likely take the time to write a negative review ( instead of a positive one ). As opposed to the majority of people who are satisfied with their product, and have no motivation to take the time to write a review. Because they are too busy playing games on their PS4's as we speak.

Wait until March next year, when both Consoles have launched in all territories for a better overview of the Failure Rate situation for both consoles.

As for the better console, Qd is spot on: the console with the lower specs will dictate the quality of games we receive. Because of this, any discussion on specs relating to games (services, streaming and video/music may be a different story) is irrelevant.

I wrote this in the Xbox One article, but it is pertinent to your comment.

The reduced specs for pretty much all of the Xbox One's games ( a lot of them are 720p Upscaled to 1080 & only at 30 FPS ) is a joke. Especially when Microsoft expects you to pay $100 more for it's System.

Xbox One Games Vs PlayStation 4 Games

Xbox One's Resolution & Frame Rates ~

COD Ghosts - 720p Upscaled to 1080p - 60 FPS

Battlefield 4 - 720p Upscaled to 1080p - 60 FPS

Dead Rising 3 - 720p Upscaled to 1080p - 30 FPS

Ryse: Son of Rome - 900p Upscaled to 1080p - 30 FPS

PlayStation 4's Resolution and Frame Rates ~

COD Ghosts - Native 1080p - 60 FPS

Killzone Shadow Fall - Single Player - Native 1080p - 30 FPS ~ Multiplayer - Native 1080p - 60 FPS

Battlefield 4 - 900p Upscaled to 1080p - 60 FPS

Assassin's Creed 4 - Native 1080p - 60 FPS

Thief - Native 1080p - 60 FPS

http://www.google.co...XD7LgiMLv7jhggg

And for those of you that say that there is no visual difference between 720p and 1080p, just remember that 1080p has more than twice the number of pixels compared too 720p. Here's a comparison of the resolutions ~

resolution.jpg

The games for the Xbox One have the same resolution as they do on the Xbox 360, which is pathetic. I mean if it can't output Native 1080p for the games that we have now, how is it going to cope with bigger and more ambitious games in the future ( Witcher 3/ MGS 5/ Fallout 4? ).

So seeing that there is already a noticeable difference in the Graphical Outputs of Xbox One & PlayStation 4 games ( Resolution & Frame Rates ), it's not unreasonable to think that this disparity won't continue into the future.