Sign in to follow this  
Handsome B Wonderful

Game Of The Year - 2012

So, I'm starting another GOTY topic. I'm not going to bother with a poll this time. Top 5/10 lists are better anyway. Here's mine..

10. Assassin's Creed 3

It didn't really do that much for me, but I loved the setting, and the naval battles were awesome.

9. Mass Effect 3

​Once again, I preferred the games before it. It had it's moments, but it just was a let down for me, especially as it was the end of the trilogy. It only made my top 10 because the multiplayer was surprisingly fun, and Javik is a pimp.

8. Dragon's Dogma

A flawed game, but the pawn system was unique, and I still go back to play it. Hopefully the sequel can expand on the many good ideas, and combat can reach Dark Souls standards.

7. The Darkness II

Barely a 2012 game, I'd say it's also one of the most underrated games of the year. It's a bit short, but it's heaps of fun.

6. The Walking Dead

Barely a game, but it tells a great story. All fans of the show should have played it by now.

5. Max Payne 3

Great presentation, and heaps of fun. I didn't think I would like it at first, but it grew on me.

4. Borderlands 2

So much to do, so many weapons.

3. Hitman: Absolution

A good story, heaps of different ways to knock off people, and contracts are awesome. I thought it was going to be my GOTY until I played the next 2 games...

2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown

That feeling when you lose a soldier who has been through 20+ missions. "Cpt Thunderstick! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" To think you can spend ages getting you're shit in order and still lose is sweet/fucked depending on when you last saved.

1. Far Cry 3

What more to say about this that I already haven't mentioned in the topic? I've been playing for 2 weeks straight, and I'm still seeing new stuff. Now that it works, the multiplayer is surprisingly good. Co-Op is fun even when you play with strangers. I can not stress enough that everyone should buy this game.

Now the top 10 is out of the way..

Honourable mentions

Spec Ops: The Line

Vice City 10th anniversary

Most Overrated Game

Dishonored. Too short, boring story, just not enjoyable. I've seen it win GOTY on a couple of sites now. How? Because it's a fps stealth game? If I wanted to play fps stealth with idiot AI, I'd play Skyrim. OHHHH SNAP!

Game you were hoping would be good, but knew it wouldn't be

Black Ops II. I only play the multiplayer to be social. The multiplayer was shit. I would rather be antisocial now.

• Like 1

5. Max Payne 3. The only game in the series I've played. Pretty good game. Didn't even think about it until I realized I didn't have a solid top 5.

4. Mass Effect 3. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Was disappointed with the ending.

3. Assassin's Creed III. Again, thoroughly enjoyed. First AC game I've given a second playthrough.

2. Borderlands 2. What a masterpiece. I usually can't stand first-person shooters, but I enjoyed the first game in spite of that, and the sequel has been extremely enjoyable. Unlike the first game, I actually care to explore everything and do side quests. Fucking love this game.

1. World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria... It just wouldn't make sense to people who don't play WoW, so I'm not going to make a tl;dr post explaining it. But it's my GOTY.

Honorable mention:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Not as bad as I though it would be. Pretty much a knockoff of Fable in a lot of ways, but pretty decent.

Best DLC:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard. Nuff said.

Game you were hoping would be good, but knew it wouldn't be:

WWE '13. God damn, I wanted to love that game...

i can't do a top 10, so i'll do a top 5... i'm not even sure if i played 10 new games this year... i replayed a lot of games i already had, like skyrim, fallout, hitman, san andreas, and a couple of others... this year wasn't a very exciting year for games for me... too many of them were delayed till 2013...

5) Grand Theft Auto Vice City 10th Anniversary - it's only fair that i rank this 5 since it's a game from 10 years ago... but i can't put it down!! i've been playing it at least an hour a day it seems... it's conveniently right there on my phone, i'm only a touch away from mayhem... and the world looks 10 times better than the original, the HD treatment really brought out the colors of vice city... the controls, while tough to get used to at first, are actually pretty damn good for a mobile game...

i reccomend it to everyone here... we're all GTA fans anyways :P...

4) Assassins Creed 3 - what a dissapointment this was... i'm not so sure the wide open space of the cities were a good idea... i miss the tight condensed cities of the renaissance... but the wilderness was a nice touch, it's just a shame there wasn't much to do with it besides hunt and run through trees... the story was really good, but that's something you expect with the series anyways... and the naval battles were the defining moment for this game.... if they made an entire game out of sea battles, i would buy it... they've got a real cool idea here, i would love to see it flushed out and turned into an epic pirate game series full of naval battles, historic pirates and full of port towns and hideaways, full crew control, ship modifying, etc... please recreate the age of piracy!!

speaking of pirates...

3) Risen 2 - Dark Waters - here's the other half of the equation... if only this game and the naval battles from AC3 would have a baby... this had a deep RPG element, with crews, pirate towns, giant islands full of creatures and animals to fight, and inhabited by lots of characters and stuff to do... things to craft and spells to learn... skills to improve, etc... the only downside to this game, and it's a big one... if this is a game about pirates, then WHERE'S THE SEA PART!!! i never have control of a ship, i just watch a cutscene where it leaves a port and shows up in another...

like i said, if this game and the AC3 naval battles had a baby, i would be the happiest man in the world... except, i wouldn't want this fantasy-magician spell casting world to be the story, i am sure ubisoft could do something more realistic... but this game was the shit, i spent a good month playing this, and will probably play it again as there's multiple skills to learn and an alternate path for developing your character... plus your fighting a titan and mythical sea creatures...

2) Max Payne 3 - i didn't follow this very closely, but knew i'd rent it one day... but when i was able to rent it on day one, i jumped right in... this was one of the most stylish games i ever played... the atmosphere, the lighting, the design, the action, the bullet-time... from start to finish it was like someone accelerated to 100 MPH and closed their eyes... the heart-pounding music was easily the best sound i heard all year... hearing the drum beat harder as wave after wave of enemies appear in front of you, gets your adrenaline going...

my best description for this game would be, it's noir lore mixed with die hard flair... it's a modern day noir film, with over the top action...

1) Hitman: Absolution - no surprise there, this game was loads of fun... you're in the shoes of agent 47, the greatest stone cold killer in the history of games... he's the greatest assassin of all, he's methodical, adaptable, flawless... he kills without hesitation... all the contracts were fun, and offered lots of variety and challenge... he's also got some of the coolest kills i've seen in a while... i can't recall how many times i had a screwdriver in my inventory :lol:...

but he's adaptable... you make decisions on the fly a lot... take a disquise or sneak past the guards... set up accidental kills or distractions... silently take out patrols or shoot up the entire level... it's all up to you on how you want to finish the contract... and the multiplayer is suprisingly good for a single player game...

i could keep rambling on about hitman, it's easily my GOTY... and i've still got a ton of challenges to knock out before i stop playing it... i foresee plenty more nights of playing this, there's still a lot to do, lots of alternate level routes and challenges to collect...

Dang, I forgot ME3 came out this year. I'm sure that will probably steal the show on most counts, which is a shame because ME1 & 2 were better in many respects.

For me, it's Far Cry 3 hands down. The other big titles this year have either been way to short (Dishonored, Hitman, Max Payne), or horribly underwhelming (AC3, Sleeping Dogs, and Black Ops 2).

I haven't played Halo 4, but I'd imagine that's pretty decent.

I'll make this Quick:

5. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 10th Anniversary Edition

4. Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection

3. Assassin's Creed 3

2 .Hitman: Absolution

1. Max Payne 3

Far Cry 3 Would probably be on this list, but I've not bought it yet.

3. Jak and Daxter Collection

2. The Darkness 2

1. Far Cry 3

Most overrated game: Assassins Creed 3

Game you were hoping would be good, but knew it wouldn't be: WWE 13 (Fuck THQ, they haven't made a good wrestling game in years. Hopefully a developer like 2K gets the license next, would be awesome to see what they could do with it.)

5. Black ops 2 - Only cos i needed to make up the numbers, majorly overrated, and i love MW3.

4. Sleeping Dogs - Wasted a good day or two making my way through this, fun while it lasted.

3. Far Cry 3 - Got it today, played about 15 minutes so far, but it's looking awesome so far.

2. FIFA 13 - love this, I don't buy FIFA yearly, so when i do i play it non-stop for months.

1. Hitman: Absolution - It's a masterpiece, though this year hasn't been amazing for releases, in other years I might of waited till it went down in price, glad i didn't.

Haven't played Assassins Creed, Borderlands, or Max Payne, but if i had they'd probably of been in there somewhere.

Best game buy of PSN: Journey

Worst bought game: Resi 6. - I was so disappointed i actually downloaded Resi1 off PSN and played that again instead.

5. Max Payne 3- Being Liam Neeson is awesome

4. Halo 4- "I like aliens"

3. Assassins Creed 3- Your an assassin what's not to love

2. Hitman- Very awesome

1. Sleeping Dogs- Always loved martial arts

You know what game isn't on any list?

Diablo 3. Fuck you Blizzard.

Agreed. I lost interest within the first month. I kept going on to catch up with friends, and ended up getting bored to death with the constant grind of infinity. Never felt like i'd get anywhere, and lost too many hours i can't get back!

Fuck you Acti-Bliz, you're ruining the games industry!

Yeah, even from the beginning you could see... this shit ain't real Diablo.

If you liked D2 and actual challenge, check out Path of Exile, I got into the closed beta and plan to play it at least for a while with a few friends once it goes into open beta in January.

edit:

Massacre, I played it for a while during my 10 day free trial, got very bored very fast. Guildies kept saying PvE is not worth it and that everything else is either gay (pokemon fights) or just totally broken (PvP).

My guild is having a hard time with server progress, seems like a lot (A LOT) of guilds have opened ranks for more than 1 team, there's a few guilds on my server who run up to 4 10 man teams... we used to sit top 5 on one of the busiest servers in Europe and now they are having problems breaking into top 15 lol.

I'll make this Quick:

3. Assassin's Creed 3

2 .Hitman: Absolution

1. Max Payne 3

Far Cry 3 Would probably be on this list, but I've not bought it yet.

Revision:

3 .Hitman: Absolution

2. Max Payne 3

1. Far Cry 3

On reflection AC3 was pretty cool, but not in my top 5.

5. Black ops 2 - Only cos i needed to make up the numbers, majorly overrated, and i love MW3.

4. Sleeping Dogs - Wasted a good day or two making my way through this, fun while it lasted.

3. Far Cry 3 - Got it today, played about 15 minutes so far, but it's looking awesome so far.

2. FIFA 13 - love this, I don't buy FIFA yearly, so when i do i play it non-stop for months.

1. Hitman: Absolution - It's a masterpiece, though this year hasn't been amazing for releases, in other years I might of waited till it went down in price, glad i didn't.

Strange how a couple of weeks changes your opinion.

Revised:

5. Sleeping Dogs

4. FIFA 13

3. Far Cry 3: Played a little more of this, seems a bit repetitive, only played a few hours though cos of XCOM.

2. XCOM:Enemy Unknown: Thanks to whoever had this on their list, it was the last push I needed to get it, brilliant game. Why can't there be more games like this for console.

1. Hitman:Absolution