Well R* annouced this earlier on the newswire delay post:

To those of you saying or seeing various conspiracy theories about there being some other ulterior motive for this delay, rest assured that they’re all nonsense – literally the only reason we’ve delayed the release is because we want the game to be as good as it needs to be

This is an interesting read. Wall Street Journal give the stats on the console game market. Consoles aren't doing too well atm. Hopefully the new wave of hardware is what we need to bring back the console!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323701904578276672168365276.html?mod=rss_Technology

This sounds a bit too close to be a coincidence. It's one thing to have a spring release date and hear that next-gen consoles aren't due until next year, then hear the game is delayed until fall and now next-gen may be bumped up. I just don't see how they can release a major title like GTA for a current-gen console when the new one is imminent. We'll have to wait and see how this shapes up.

• Like 1

I don't think we'll have to buy a new console. It will probably come backward compatible though. But i think they may try to port it, in the same way they port the PC version, with slightly improved graphics etc...

The delay could be completely unrelated, which makes the timing really bad for R*, knowing that their game will be released around the same time as the new consoles which will probably have some good quality release titles that are under wraps atm.

Only problem now is, knowing how M$ works, they'll catch the waft of the PS4 specs, and then make the "720" more powerful and release it a few months later. But will this work? Because that's exactly what Sony did with the PS3, and it didn't really pay off.

that's not true anymore... PS3 numbers caught up with xbox numbers late last year... it all evened out in the end, they just had a rough start to the new gen...

as for new consoles this year, i call bullshit... i think both will announce new consoles this year, but neither is willing to give up on this gen just yet with a whole slate of games still left to release...

either way, i once again will not be an early buyer... i'll wait it out for a year or two like i did with the PS3... i was thinking though that i might actually wait in line overnight on launch day to buy a few of them, only to sell on ebay to make some $$$$... i'll think about that one...

• Like 2

From the way it sounds atm, the new consoles will be out before GTA V even hits the old consoles... This is all a bit strange.

Idk the new consoles will come out until Christmas or during that Sep-Feb period

I dunno, might skip gta and buy the ps4 xbox 720 games... Fallout 4 is probably a next gen title and im more excited about that anyway..,

http://www.edge-onli...ion-4-revealed/

Development sources with working knowledge of both next generation consoles have told us that PlayStation 4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox, will ship with a redesigned controller and launch by the end of the year in Japan and the US. PlayStation 4’s European launch will follow in early 2014.
The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

The specification

Sony has already earned an enormous amount of goodwill among studios working with PS4 development hardware. Privately, Sony representatives have conceded that the company made a mistake in creating such esoteric architecture for PS3, and its strategy for PS4 gives developers more opportunities this time around, notably because the hardware is much more PC-like in its makeup than PS3.

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

Both platforms are driven by eight-core AMD CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz, with Microsoft opting for a D3D11.x GPU from an unknown source and Sony utilising a more capable solution in AMD’s ‘R10XX’ architecture, alongside the so-called ‘Liverpool’ system-on-chip.

It’s clear Sony has designed a system that, on paper, outperforms Microsoft’s next Xbox. One source familiar with both platforms tells us that in real terms Sony’s console is “slightly more powerful” and “very simple to work with”.

Ultimately, the performance differences between the two consoles will have as much bearing on multiplatform releases as the differences between PS3 and 360 – very little – but Sony will be expecting big-budget firstparty releases such as the PS4 Uncharted sequel to demonstrate its console’s superiority.

GTAIV made me jump into the next gen, i bought my PS3 a month before it came out... if fallout 4 comes out early in the next gen, i will probably be forced to buy into it... there's no way i'm not playing fallout 4...
Ditto, negro. Games like Watch_Dogs, while great-looking, aren't going to get me to spring for a new console. It's going to take Fallout, Saints Row, or something else I have a history with and an attachment to for me to spend that kind of money.

More so with this upcoming console generation, because I'm not really spending money on anything, anymore.

One thing that's always pissed me off about new consoles is the games are like £50 and yet a PC version is superior and is only £30...

Games like GTA, Fallout, Elderscrolls and Uncharted will ultimately make me buy the next gen console...

GTAIV made me jump into the next gen, i bought my PS3 a month before it came out... if fallout 4 comes out early in the next gen, i will probably be forced to buy into it... there's no way i'm not playing fallout 4...
Ditto, negro. Games like Watch_Dogs, while great-looking, aren't going to get me to spring for a new console. It's going to take Fallout, Saints Row, or something else I have a history with and an attachment to for me to spend that kind of money.

More so with this upcoming console generation, because I'm not really spending money on anything, anymore.

If Watch Dogs can't get you to Spring. Nothing will.

If these consoles are meant to last 5-10 or so years, surely they need to be prepared for 4X resolution TV's which will probably be flooding the market half way through their life spans. Can't imagine how insane Uncharted would look with 3840x2160 pixels!

4x Resolution:

crysis20120929221254862.jpg

crysis 3 and the last of us will prove just how much life is left in this gen of consoles when those gorgeous landscapes hit us in the face...

crysis3_libertdome.png

the-last-of-us.jpg

---------------------------

and like the quotes fitty posted said, the next gen uncharted series will usher in the new era of console defining graphics... but there's still a lot of life left in this gen, i would be really surprised if they launched this year...

I agree, there's plenty of life left in current gen. But Sony have proven with the PS1 and PS2 that they're comfortable with multiple consoles out at the same time. For this consoles to make an impact now, they need something more than just graphics, as they can only really get around the same as high end PC graphics right now, and it's not really a huge jump ahead of current gen stuff imho. Some new technology is key to winning us over, and i don't mean gimmicky peripherals. Something essentially new, kind of like the HD format, and Bluray storage being the major upgrades for this generation. I expect a bit of a jump in storage, solid state drives being a good standard. I don't see the controller having a touch pad really necessary, but oh well.

I can just invision the new xmb home, as Sony have changed the PS Store to be a bit more like the windows 8 slates. I can see Sony probably integrating the PSstore into home in some way. Sony's main issue i think though, is social interaction. PSHome was meant to be their social hub, and it turned out to be a fucking hubba hotel full of perverts waiting to get into websexchat with every female avatar they could see. They need to overhaul their concept of what makes multiplayer fun.

I just hope we're in for a big surprise on the 20th, as they're holding an entire event for this instead of waiting for E3. They must be confident that they have something unbeatable in terms of winning over the population...

I agree, there's plenty of life left in current gen. But Sony have proven with the PS1 and PS2 that they're comfortable with multiple consoles out at the same time. For this consoles to make an impact now, they need something more than just graphics, as they can only really get around the same as high end PC graphics right now, and it's not really a huge jump ahead of current gen stuff imho. Some new technology is key to winning us over, and i don't mean gimmicky peripherals. Something essentially new, kind of like the HD format, and Bluray storage being the major upgrades for this generation. I expect a bit of a jump in storage, solid state drives being a good standard. I don't see the controller having a touch pad really necessary, but oh well.

I can just invision the new xmb home, as Sony have changed the PS Store to be a bit more like the windows 8 slates. I can see Sony probably integrating the PSstore into home in some way. Sony's main issue i think though, is social interaction. PSHome was meant to be their social hub, and it turned out to be a fucking hubba hotel full of perverts waiting to get into websexchat with every female avatar they could see. They need to overhaul their concept of what makes multiplayer fun.

I just hope we're in for a big surprise on the 20th, as they're holding an entire event for this instead of waiting for E3. They must be confident that they have something unbeatable in terms of winning over the population...

I hope they sort out the L2 and R2 buttons, for some games it's really hard to play with, especially FIFA 13, it's hard to do the skill moves, although it's not much easier on the 360 controller.

a clipping in the newspaper today said the new playstation will be £300. but that's far too cheap

haha, if this happens I will buy it on release day. I doubt it will be £300. PS3 on launch day was £425, but in reality it went upto about £500 to get a good bundle deal.

With regards to the discussion above, I'd like to quote my nation's great president, Barack Obama:

"Shit's gettin' waaay too complicated for me."

Anyway, I just may have to switch to Sony this generation. Have had to disassemble my ShitBox far too much in its lifetime.

Just found this. Could be a hint towards the PS4 xmb/interface. It's pretty much what i expect if im honest. If they're saying the PS4 OS will be more like Microsofts, architecturally, then a basic tile xmb will be minimal to run, leaving loads of the system for gaming.

http://www.product-r...2013-bravia-tv/

Just found this. Could be a hint towards the PS4 xmb/interface. It's pretty much what i expect if im honest. If they're saying the PS4 OS will be more like Microsofts, architecturally, then a basic tile xmb will be minimal to run, leaving loads of the system for gaming.

http://www.product-r...2013-bravia-tv/

The PS4's Main Menu and Store interface should be as simple as possible. So that along with the simple XMB/Interface, and maybe some background loading ( which could be integral to ideal performance for the console ), navigation ends up fast and seamless.

I want to touch that controller too, but there's only one..

What can we do?

I know! I'll just touch you while you touch the controller. That way we'll both get to touch...