Indy

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I bought Arkham City instead of this because I don't have the extreme amount of hours it would require to play it. Hopefully sometime next year I can find time because it looks amazing.

I'll probably be an Orc or High Elf. I'm still saving up for my PC for this so I'm getting it on PS3 for the time being. Massy, your Dup story put hair on my chest and then made it stand up. I bought my copy from Game this morning and I have it in the office with me ^_^ Stuck here til 7pm :(

Massy what's your desktop set up? have you already posted it anywhere?

I'm spending the day today reading reviews online, little stories like Massy's (third [fourth] Massy of this post) and I'm gonna open up the case, give the booklet a good smelling and then read it! :D

Posted it in several places, but it wasn't in the Setup/Specs topic, and I don't know where else to look.

AMD Phenom II Black Edition (no clue what the fuck 'black edition' is)

8gb DDR3

750gb HDD

Nvidia 9500GT

All I need to play on max settings is a non-shit graphics card. Should be able to run this at or near high.

Edit: It auto-set the graphics to high, good sign.

As for Dup's story, I'm actually considering writing a story as I play this (on my second or third file, just going to enjoy the game to start with), just chronicling my experiences in Skyrim in the creepy verbose that I do so well. Accompanied by screenshots, of course.

Another piece of fucking shit port for PC, guy from uni got it on PC so I tried it out, complete fucking shit on controls (it was made for a fucking console controller), shit interface, REALLY shit graphics even on a top end machine.

What's wrong with the controls? Are they different from Oblivion?

The community always fixes what the company won't. Any issues you have (aside from the controls) will have a mod to fix it within a week. Not saying your complaints aren't justified, just saying it'll be fixed soon.

It's FUCKED. Half the time we have to use the mouse, the other half keybinds, it's totally obnoxious and borderline proud american. It feels like the game is made for a 360 controller... on a PC.

Yup. About to get some sleep, but I'll tell the tale of my journey to the Throat of the World whenever I wake up.

While I'm away, someone decide whether or not spoiler-filled stories should go in here or in their own topic.

i am a little disappointed in you guys... where's the skyrim stories?! are you all too busy playing or what??

Yeah pretty much been too busy playing it to write anything. I'm gonna go get some sleep in a sec.

I have a small story to tell. not much, but funny.

I was strolling between some mountains on my way to a mission, and i saw my first giant standing there with his axe on his shoulder. I thought that maybe i can try and take him on with my weapons. Anyway, i sneak up with my bow and arrows, and take a sneaky headshot from the distance. i quickly change to my magic enhanced battle axe and charge in. As i run up the peak, past a large rock i see two more giants running at me with him! The bitch-honky only had is clan on stand-by, ready to gangbang my poor elven arse. They bludgeoned me into a fine paste. -_-

• Like 1

^ I've run like a pussy from any giant that has attacked me so far. I've used them to my advantage a couple of times, though. I was getting pwned by a sabre-tooth, so i ran between a giant and a mammoth, and that bitch got stomped to death.

My favourite moment in the game so far: Taking on a random dragon, getting it below 50% health, thinking "Man, this is easy", and the next minute being picked up in its jaws, and being tossed to my death. I almost pissed myself laughing.

hey massacre, you can spoil the world all you want... caves (unless it's with the story), loot, enemies, towns, guilds, etc... just be extra careful with the story of the main quest, side quests and guilds... i don't mind hearing about the world of skyrim, i just don't want the story to be ruined... i will get the chance to play it in about a month...

are the giants you all speak of from the tech demo??

Well, without saying why I was heading to the top of the mountain, I set out from the city of Whiterun, pausing out side the gate to take in the full scale of the mountain in the distance. I headed straight for it, a mistake that would cost me quite a bit of daylight, as the mountain soon became too steep for my companion and I to climb. We made our way back down, spotting a camp full of friendly soldiers on the way down. Since it was getting dark, we decided to stay in the camp for the night, sleeping in a warm fur tent after a brief conversation with the group's field commander regarding his soldiers and the goings on in Skyrim. We awoke just before the sunrise, and immediately set out, killing bandits and wolves along the way. Making our way around the other side of the mountain, we finally found the correct path and begin climbing, encountering even more wolves and bandits along the way, and later, my first troll. The trolls are tough, but nothing anyone who's played Oblivion can't handle.

Eventually we came to a small village, not unlike the one you visit after the game's opening quest. We handled a few things for the villagers, then began our journey up the 7000 Steps, the path up the mountain whose name I didn't bother to check for accuracy. Wolves appeared several times, including the much tougher ice wolf, a slightly larger wolf with a hint of white in its fur. Around the first appearance of the ice wolf, a vicious snowstorm began; a beautiful sight that threatened to kill my CPU. Soon after, we entered a short path that ran between two rock walls, a dead goat and ominous growling hinting at the danger around the corner. We rounded the corner and found ourselves face-to-face with an ice troll, who proceeded to beat the shit out of me. My companion drew his attention long enough for me to regain my composure, and I attacked from the rear, driving my warhammer into its neck and spine. The beast turned and attacked me again, but I lucked out when the camera cut to a cinematic view and my character executed a brutal insta-kill move. We finally reached the top of the steps, meeting a scene I feared would melt my computer into the floor. It was in front of this stone structure that I chose to end my day, saving my upcoming spoiler-filled adventures for the morning.

Well, without saying why I was heading to the top of the mountain, I set out from the city of Whiterun, pausing out side the gate to take in the full scale of the mountain in the distance. I headed straight for it, a mistake that would cost me quite a bit of daylight, as the mountain soon became too steep for my companion and I to climb. We made our way back down, spotting a camp full of friendly soldiers on the way down. Since it was getting dark, we decided to stay in the camp for the night, sleeping in a warm fur tent after a brief conversation with the group's field commander regarding his soldiers and the goings on in Skyrim. We awoke just before the sunrise, and immediately set out, killing bandits and wolves along the way. Making our way around the other side of the mountain, we finally found the correct path and begin climbing, encountering even more wolves and bandits along the way, and later, my first troll. The trolls are tough, but nothing anyone who's played Oblivion can't handle.

Eventually we came to a small village, not unlike the one you visit after the game's opening quest. We handled a few things for the villagers, then began our journey up the 7000 Steps, the path up the mountain whose name I didn't bother to check for accuracy. Wolves appeared several times, including the much tougher ice wolf, a slightly larger wolf with a hint of white in its fur. Around the first appearance of the ice wolf, a vicious snowstorm began; a beautiful sight that threatened to kill my CPU. Soon after, we entered a short path that ran between two rock walls, a dead goat and ominous growling hinting at the danger around the corner. We rounded the corner and found ourselves face-to-face with an ice troll, who proceeded to beat the shit out of me. My companion drew his attention long enough for me to regain my composure, and I attacked from the rear, driving my warhammer into its neck and spine. The beast turned and attacked me again, but I lucked out when the camera cut to a cinematic view and my character executed a brutal insta-kill move. We finally reached the top of the steps, meeting a scene I feared would melt my computer into the floor. It was in front of this stone structure that I chose to end my day, saving my upcoming spoiler-filled adventures for the morning.

I had pretty much the same experience as you did on my pilgrimage up the mountain and up the 7000 steps. Except i did it alone, and i had to run away from the ice troll!

For those of you that haven't played this yet, the open word never feels empty. There is always animals, game, mythical creatures roaming around, as well as NPC's on their travels, with their own stories to tell. Tbh, i spend most of my time hunting and stalking things whilst taking in the huge scale environments.

Guest Gary

Just been checking out a few YouTube videos showing Ultra High Setting or something and the detail is amazing.

What level were you guys when you fought the ice troll? I couldn't kill him directly so I had to do multiple arrow sneak attacks to take him out. Fighting ice trolls is harder than dragons!

Also, what character builds do you guys have and do you ever play in 3rd person? I actually enjoy playing in 3rd person sometimes, especially if i'm fighting multiple enemies.

I think I was level 5 when I fought him (playing on normal mode). Just smacked him with my pointless "frozen battleaxe" or something. Doubt the freeze damage did much to him, but my horse and that slag who keeps following me around helped me kill him.

I usually only go in third person when I'm on the horse, which is forced upon you anyway.

I'm just one of the regular humans. Can't remember what type it is, but I'm just a normal person mainly just using two handed weapons. My Lockpick skill is improving along with light-armour but mainly it's two handed which I'm best at. Level 40 or something with that.

Bones, go out and pick this shit up and kiss the Wastelands goodbye.

I started playing yesterday after getting home from work and got a good hour or so in before I had to go back to work. I had just enough time to get through the tutorial level, but I might have rushed it a little. I didn't get to explore every nook and cranny; but I think there is a sense of urgency in the tutorial that doesn't really encourage exploration, plus there wasn't anything worth finding. I spent the majority of the time trying to decide if I was going to be a man-cat, a lizard man or just a man-man. Ever since my halloween costume, I've wanted to be a rapping wizard. So I went with the man - Nord, I think. He's got a shaved head and a full beard (ever wizard has to have a beard). He's also got an milky eye like the guy in the curio shop in Gremlins.

I was AMAZED at the level of customization for the characters, especially with the lizardmen and mancats. The graphics are incredibly improved and the various character models are insane! I hated how everyone in Oblivion looked like a mongloid, no matter the race. The lizards and cats were the only decent looking ones, and they still looked like shit. In Skyrim, I was able to create a human character that didn't look like he was retarded. Instead, he's a badass fucking wizard. Or he will be.

By the time I completed the tutorial, I had to go to work - so I climbed to a small peak and saved. I didn't get to play again last night after I got home, too tired - but I did wake up at 3AM and just decided to stay up and pick my game back up. I had about four hours to play before I had to get ready to go back to work again. I played through the first few quests, go here, see this person, get some more missions. I'm trying to pay more attention this time around to the locations and names so I don't feel so lost.

I guess feeling lost is part of the game, like stepping into the Wasteland for the first time - only this isn't DC or Vegas where you can look for familiar sights - it's only mountains, trees and snow! I tried to stick to the first few missions to gain some experience, weaponry and gold - but it wasn't long before I was swimming up and down the river collecting salmon. Later on, I came to a farm where this lady will pay you to harvest her crops. So I did that for a while. I tried hunting the few stags that I came across, but I kept getting too impatient and chasing them off. Right now, I am a much better butterfly hunter. I have like 20 pairs of butterfly wings. Hopefully when I get a better bow, things will change.

The menus are so much easier to navigate as well, even better than the Pip Boy 3000. I like being able to cue up my favorite weapons, spells, etc. and just pull them up in game - without having to navigate the menu. This will be huge later on. It's like hot-keying, only you can select from a list and it pauses the action for you. I have my healing spells, bow and arrow, fire spells and battle axe all ready to go. The menus are pretty easy to navigate otherwise, the map is two button presses away, same as items, upgrades and magic. Buying and selling is a lot like Fallout, but again - a lot cleaner and not on a Pip-Boy.

The upgrade system is pretty crazy too. I like it much better than Oblivion - whatever you do, you upgrade that skill set. Upgrading your skill sets levels you up. I was walking around in crouch and I was upgrading my sneak ability. Using bows and arrows increases your archery. Using magic increases your penis size. When you level up, you can assign a "point" to one of the 15-something branches of character customization. There are branches for destructive magic, healing magic, sword play, stamina - basically everything you would use to develop your character and basically lets you "control their stars" by customizing what perks or abilities they have. I'm going to try and focus on magic, some light sword play and archery.

Crafting seems to be pretty well orchestrated too - you can make a ton of shit. In the blacksmith shop, you can sharpen your weapons, craft weapons, tan leather and make leather strips. Over the fire, you can make meals based on the foods you find. I've found a ton of vegetables in the game so far and have cooked a ton of stuff. I could open a Salmon Steak and Cabbage Soup restaurant. I like the cooking better than in Fallout. Real world ingredients make more sense to me than using all the chemicals and shit. There are also tables for alchemy and enchanting weapons. I only got a brief introduction to those, but I am sure I will become better versed in the time to come.

I really like it so far. Very addicting, very in depth. Everything is laid out very well. The action is great and once you get a hang of the combat system, it's a lot of fun. I like the ability to dual wield a weapon and magic.

I'm only getting started, I know there are people WAY ahead of me - just wanted to share my experiences and tell bones to just go get the fucking game. You'll love it.

• Like 1

i have to wait tell christmas, my grandma already bought it (... everything sounds amazing though, nice write-up there stoic...

DAMMIT GRANDMA! Go buy yourself a copy now and then save your receipt and return the copy she gives you at Christmas. It's like she's giving you the gift early. Thanks Grams!

I read a Kotaku article the day Skyrim came out about people putting baskets on NPC's heads to allow stealing without consequence. Naturally, I had to try this - and do it to everyone I encountered, whether or not they had anything worth stealing. I started just collecting baskets in my inventory and when I meet someone new, put a basket on their head. I came back to the first city after a mission or two and there were still NPC's walking around with their baskets intact. They seem to fall off if they go to sleep or bend over too far, but if they're just walking around, they seem to keep wearing them around.

when I meet someone new, put a basket on their head.

"This is how we say hello where I come from."

Yeah, the basket trick has gotten huge on the internet. Cheaper than invisibility (which I haven't even gotten in Skyrim so far).

Guest Marney1 is sexy

@Stoic [or anyone playing it] having just read this bit of your post - "...so I climbed to a small peak and saved." - Does your game pick up from where you actually last parked your arse or are you forced to start at the nearest outpost or whatever?

Wherever you are when you save, that's where you are when you load. No exceptions.

This. I just "waited" on the peak and it autosaved the game. I'm not positive, but it looks like I can go back to different autosaves... is that correct? That would be beneficial if I make a series of shitty decisions.