Indy

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

take your time too... don't rush it, sit down and actually try to make the character you want... the possibilties are endless, but you don't want to be all over the place, you want to build him up the right way by working on the skills you want... once you start getting further into leveling, you can start to focus on secondary stuff...

pick your character build and style now... worry about the rest after level 15...

Guest Marney1

I'm considering restarting my game because I think I've been doing everything arse-ways round. I know there's no rule as to how you should go about playing but I feel I should have been doing the quests as I got them because now I have a 150 thousand million quests in my inventory and have to scroll through them and try to decide which one I want to do. I've explored most of the map and found all but a few (I reckon) locations but it doesn't feel like I'm part of a story, it'll be a shame to lose all the location markers on the map etc but now that I know how the game actually works I'm considering a restart.

I'm only level 15 atm - anyone reckon it would be a mistake to start over or the right thing to do?

Well since ur level 15 i dont see it as an issue.

I have the same problem tho, i wish i did it like bones now beacuse i forget which quests i wanted to do. Maybe make a plan before you restart ur game. What perks u want etc.

i thought long and hard about what kind of character i was going to be... and i've built him exactly how i wanted too... he's tough to hurt now, i literally haven't used a health potion or spell in quite some time... but i spent the entire first 10 levels just working on improving his main skills; heavy armor, one-handed, smithing, and restoration... but while i was playing i was improving sneak, lockpick, archery and enchanting without really trying...

and yes marney, you should of been working on those quests instead of ignoring them... my misc. quest list is ridiculous, but i only have maybe 4 or 5 regular quests in my list... a couple of them have to do with guilds that i have no intentions of joining, like the thieves guild... you've probably logged many hours but you are still not far at all to be honest... and you're new to this style of game, it's hard to know what you want to do without actually playing it...

i've restarted RPG's before, but with my fallout and oblivion experience, i had no problem creating the kind of character i wanted to play as in skyrim... i learned to take my time and actually wrap up loose ends before taking on new problems... games like this can be very over-bearing at times... your best offense is just to chip away at it... i turned down tons of quests in riften just because i didn't want to take on more work...

you need a sense of character direction, otherwise, you just wander the land like marney :P... i even create my characters moral values and principals too... a man willing to help the poor, and shun corruption... a man of the people, which is why i've turned down numerous theft quests and joining the thieves guild... and the more i hear of the politics of skyrim, the more i realize that i might be fighting for the storm-cloaks, fighting for the nords of skyrim... fighting for freedom :D...

Guest Marney1

Hmm looks like I might restart then, only got about 20+ hours logged anyway - fuck it yeah I'm starting over. Cheers people! ;)

i swear alduin is stalking me...

---------------

wow, learned a couple of things about the ambient soundtrack too... i got a subtle warning in the current cave i am in with a strike of a deep orchestral chime, then draugr's emerged out of the surrounding tombs... i could tell something was about to happen anyways because you don't just walk into a room of typical burial coffins and not expect the zombies to rise... but when i was done and killed the main guy, i got this soothing ambient sound... i recall hearing this numerous times, but after the warning sounds earlier, i decided to check the map... location "cleared" :D... that sound tells me i finished off the location...

that could be handy in places without a boss...

I'm considering restarting my game because I think I've been doing everything arse-ways round. I know there's no rule as to how you should go about playing but I feel I should have been doing the quests as I got them because now I have a 150 thousand million quests in my inventory and have to scroll through them and try to decide which one I want to do. I've explored most of the map and found all but a few (I reckon) locations but it doesn't feel like I'm part of a story, it'll be a shame to lose all the location markers on the map etc but now that I know how the game actually works I'm considering a restart.

I'm only level 15 atm - anyone reckon it would be a mistake to start over or the right thing to do?

I did a fair bit of exploring before I started questing and now I find myself going back to places that I've already cleared for missions. Basically, I am going through the same dungeons to find one new item on a mission instead of just exploring.

You're damn good at picking up subtle audio hints in these games, bOnEs. Unfortunately, Skyrim has no hula dolls.

I know, I was bummed, too.

that's the benefit of having a rockin' surround sound system always on when playing video games :D... i pick up everything... i was actually scared of the ambient cave sounds when i first started playing the game... the howling, wistling wind, and the sound of rocks falling and shit... made me think it was gonna be a tough cave, but then i started hearing it in most caves and got over it...

Guest Marney1

I did a fair bit of exploring before I started questing and now I find myself going back to places that I've already cleared for missions. Basically, I am going through the same dungeons to find one new item on a mission instead of just exploring.

The only dungeons and caves I've explored are those which were part of the quests I've done. Whenever I 'discovered' a new location while exploring I made a save then moved on to look for more without actually entering them so I wouldn't be running round bandit-free locations during future quests.

This is the first Fallout-esque type game I've played and it was overwhelming to begin with because there's so much to remember and learn but now that I've adjusted to this new style (for me) of game I feel ready for it. I'm going to delete my previous saves and just start again, this time I'll listen and read things carefully and try not to get distracted by random side quests on the way to 'plot line' missions.

I'll probably go with a Nord again and keep the name Boner.

Guest Marney1

Boner FTW! ;)

I didn't create or name him, Mrs Marney Sims Addict just decided she was doing it and that was that. I'm sure she was trying to make him look like Ronan Keating.

Guest Marney1

So anyway, I've deleted all my save files and started over. I'm still a Nord but this time rather than the missus create my character I did it myself so now I look just like me (from front on anyway) complete with grey hair rather than the Irish boy band singer Ronan Keating. I mean I look about 12 years older than I am but there wasn't much I could do about that.

Guest Marney1

Haven't played in such a long time! I'm loving the Riften house though, direct access to Skyrim.

I thought that was an odd thing to say at first but I see where you're coming from now.

I've just emerged from that cave thing at the beginning of the story so now my proper play-through is about to get under way. No running round like a headless chicken for me anymore I'm just going to take my sweet time. Probably won't finish it for another 2 years at this rate but it's all good. :)

well, i passed the 100 hour mark... game save says 103 hours, level 28, and the file size clocks in at 6.8MB... really, the only place i notice any lag at all is whiterun, otherwise it's not been a problem... i gotta think i am near or past the infamous breaking point by now...

- via imagic v2.1 :drool::fap:

Guest Marney1

well, i passed the 100 hour mark... game save says 103 hours, level 28, and the file size clocks in at 6.8MB... really, the only place i notice any lag at all is whiterun, otherwise it's not been a problem... i gotta think i am near or past the infamous breaking point by now...

- via imagic v2.1 :drool::fap:

Hope I don't come across that static noise again, if I do I hope I can fix it. I've made sure all auto saves are off from the very beginning this time round.

I blame the auto saves for most of the problems.

Can you believe this is the first time I've used a mace and shield?

Edit: I don't fucking believe this! During the early quest to retrieve the golden claw at Bleak Falls Temple I've ran straight into that swinging gate and gotten killed.........twice!

Edited by Marney1

the autosave sometimes pauses the action, usually when i enter the menu after some time... but i really haven't had an issue with what most PS3 users are complaining about... what was your weapon load-out the first time?? light or heavy armor?? keep with the sword and shield combo... although, if you are using one-handed as your main weapon choice, i suggest dual-wielding... blocking seems like a waste of time in skyrim...

Guest Marney1

the autosave sometimes pauses the action, usually when i enter the menu after some time... but i really haven't had an issue with what most PS3 users are complaining about... what was your weapon load-out the first time?? light or heavy armor?? keep with the sword and shield combo... although, if you are using one-handed as your main weapon choice, i suggest dual-wielding... blocking seems like a waste of time in skyrim...

I'm actually enjoying the close-up battles with my mace and shield.

This thread needs more random pics, here's one:

skyrim-price-cut.jpg

dude, dual-wielding is up close... i play up close 95% of the game... i just went through this cave earlier today in the middle of the river near ivarstead... i fought an enemy that also had the unrelenting force shout... that was EPIC!!! fucking EPIC... the best boss battle thus far... and that was all fought up close and extremely loud through the surround sound... that shout is freaky/scary good when it comes from an enemy...

what i love about skyrim is what i loved about fallout new vegas... the CQC is so worth it :D... grab your sword and get in there, it's more satisfying than picking him off silently from 20 yards out... nothing gets the blood flowing than a good 'ol fashioned duke-it-out battle...

EDIT: by the way, i always try to provide pics, but mine are usually shot from my own game ;)... speaking of which, it's been a few pages since i posted one, perhaps i need to take one tonight...

Guest Marney1

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to fight everyone with the mace and shield but it feels good to be almost touching (ahem) the enemy as you battle it out - it feels more like a scrap. I tend to make a run straight for archers with the m&s because they can't do anything about it while they try to reload. I am using my sword more too rather than being a shit bag and throwing arrows at them from across a river or something. I took out a rabbit and a deer with my sword earlier, I'm telling you, don't fuck with Boner!