There will be more streets than san andreas, all of them will be named in the same way gta 4 did with liberty city. Neighborhoods will more than likely comeback. And i honestly don't think that mount chilliad is going to be in the game... the mountain ranges however will most likely border one of the lands(city/wilderness/etc) edges.

Or where they'll place Mount Chilliad. Since it used to be just south of San Fierro. If they kept it in the same place the map would have to be like:

If there's a Mt Chiliad at all. I guess R* sticks to LA's geography as close as they kept NYC's geography in 4, which leaves us with more than enough mountains to explore (as seen already in the trailer and screenshots) representing Sta Monica Mtns, San Gabriel Mtns, Sta Ana Mtns, depending on the dimensions of the area covered

I don't know if its irrelevant, but another reason that leads me believe that the new map would be bigger is by comparing GTA 3 era's Liberty city with GTA 4 era's liberty city.

I don't know if its irrelevant, but another reason that leads me believe that the new map would be bigger is by comparing GTA 3 era's Liberty city with GTA 4 era's liberty city.

Yes definitely, it is actually probably the most obvious thing about GTA V. Of course Rockstar wouldn't leave Los Santos the same size as in SA, look how tiny it is.

I don't necessarily think the map size will be as big as San Andreas. You have to remember San Andreas was gigantic. Los Santos (main city) will be as big as LC (IV Era).

But I expect some mini towns (like american country towns). I expect them to be about the size of Bohan (and perfect for multiplayer team deathmatch ;D)

The countryside should be huge and might take most of the map.

I don't necessarily think the map size will be as big as San Andreas. You have to remember San Andreas was gigantic. Los Santos (main city) will be as big as LC (IV Era).

But I expect some mini towns (like american country towns). I expect them to be about the size of Bohan (and perfect for multiplayer team deathmatch ;D)

The countryside should be huge and might take most of the map.

If Los Santos is as big as LC in IV, that would be fantastic. The entire city-map in IV is roughly half the size of San Andreas. So if the city:country ratio is at let's say, 1:3 that would mean the map would be well over 20 mi^2, which would be like adding SA's map + GTA IV's map into one, fully detailed map.

I wouldn't mind another town based on San Diego, maybe the size of the Broker+Dukes area of IV. And other really small towns like Blueberry being the size of maybe 2/3 of Bohan.

Yes definitely, it is actually probably the most obvious thing about GTA V. Of course Rockstar wouldn't leave Los Santos the same size as in SA, look how tiny it is.

Yes there's no question about that, I was talking about the entire map.

The mountain hiking scene alone shows how huge it might be.

i hope the map is just massive and maybe teakes 5 or 10 minutes to fly from one end to the other because the bigger they are, the harder they fall. just seeing so many places and shops in a huge map with trees and the whole set would be fantastic the only problem is the storage but san andreas was quite big and that was on old technology so they could make it twice or 3 times as big as that and if it's too big for xbox they could make the blu ray ps3 version even bigger, i just want to go on huge road trips and a big map would be enigmatic. x

Are you guys kidding me? The trailer shows how big it is for god sakes! It's literally displayed in front of your eyes how much larger it is?? And you guys may want to check your sources, Rockstar did confirm that the map was bigger than SA and Gta 4 about one month ago when people kept asking...

I look forward to a screencap or link to where they said that.

Thank. x

Just my two cents, but are these what you're looking for?

"...it will be the largest and most ambitious open world game we’ve ever created…"

"...in what is our biggest open world game to date."

Are you guys kidding me? The trailer shows how big it is for god sakes! It's literally displayed in front of your eyes how much larger it is?? And you guys may want to check your sources, Rockstar did confirm that the map was bigger than SA and Gta 4 about one month ago when people kept asking...

Thank. x

"...it will be the largest and most ambitious open world game we’ve ever created…"

It could definitely mean it's the biggest map. Or it could mean the game packed with the most content and shit like that.

Thank. x

It could definitely mean it's the biggest map. Or it could mean the game packed with the most content and shit like that.

Yeah, definitely possible. The hint toward map size is that one of the items was in response to the question about jets, etc, stating that Liberty City was too small for that kind of flight. But Rockstar's responses are definitely ambiguous in terms of what exactly is meant by biggest/largest, so it could very well be related to content, minigames, characters, interior spaces... who knows?

In any case, I'm fairly certain one of those two Q&As was what Riley Bradeen was referring to earlier.

I honestly don't know what to expect from the GTA V map. A decently sized Los Santos, San Diego to the south, a few small towns all around, and good countryside in between is probably the most we can reasonably hope for. And I (along with mostly everyone else) will probably be very pleased with that.

• Like 1

why is so many so obsessed with 2 or more large cities? I'd rather have one larger, great city with a large, great countryside than a couple not-so-large, ok cities with a not-so-large, ok countryside...

why is so many so obsessed with 2 or more large cities? I'd rather have one larger, great city with a large, great countryside than a couple not-so-large, ok cities with a not-so-large, ok countryside...

You just contradicted yourself. 1 big city would be good for you. But 2 small cities that supposedly make up the size of the "1" would somehow take up more space in the map leaving less for countryside and for whatever reason would reduce quality. It would be a completely shitty map if there was just one city/town in the whole game, with no other small towns far in the desert or anything.

I honestly don't know what to expect from the GTA V map. A decently sized Los Santos, San Diego to the south, a few small towns all around, and good countryside in between is probably the most we can reasonably hope for. And I (along with mostly everyone else) will probably be very pleased with that.

^ This.

I randomly found this picture online of a place called Los Cantos. I've never heard of it before, but i assume it's in Spain or somewhere in Mexico/South America.

3970313156_254b281a32_b.jpg

Link

Doesn't really have anything to do with GTA V accept the fact the name is similar to Santos.

Thank. x

Yeah, definitely possible. The hint toward map size is that one of the items was in response to the question about jets, etc, stating that Liberty City was too small for that kind of flight. But Rockstar's responses are definitely ambiguous in terms of what exactly is meant by biggest/largest, so it could very well be related to content, minigames, characters, interior spaces... who knows?

In any case, I'm fairly certain one of those two Q&As was what Riley Bradeen was referring to earlier.

is that really rockstars excuse for no planes? the map was almost as big as SA. Plus planes in vice city map mods for San Andreas were great dispite vice citys size

Actually GTA IV's map was less than half of SA's map.

Since it's pretty obvious planes are returning, it tells us that GTA Vs map will be bigger or the same size as San Andreas' map.

For the first pic, you should switch the two top-right. The trailer ending is more north of the lake screenshot,

If the lake pic was south of the plane, wouldn't you be able to see more mountains on the right side of the pic?

Anyway, it's close enough. I'm more interested in the size of Los Santos compared to Liberty City.

To be honest I'd want the city to be a lot bigger than your estimation, although I am impressed by your work. IV's LC was roughly, 6mi^2. So your estimation of LS would be roughly 3-3.5mi^2. And hypothetically if the map is to be bigger than SA's, that would mean it would be 13mi^2 or bigger. So 3/13 which is very roughly 1/5 would be city. To me that's way to little, I would expect maybe 1/3-1/2 city. But what do I know!