The Mad Dooby

Cars/Vehicle Talk

Just came across a 2012 Dodge Charger R/T Max with 22,000 miles on it at a dealership for a good price. It's black with black interior, and really clean.

Here's what it looks like, but it has no spoiler.

2014-Dodge-Charger-Coupe1.jpg

Now I'm conflicted about getting this, getting a truck (family wants to get rid of their Ram but could use one time to time so I figured I could probably get one), or keeping the Mustang.

Hmm. Bit of a dilemma. That charger is nice but then again it is a dodge. I'm no mechanic and I can't afford to fix something like that. The ram might be a bit easier to maintain and last but then you've got to start paying pickup truck gas prices. I guess if you don't drive far or very often the ram would be the better option. But honestly with the way gas is going I'm convinced it's not worth driving anything bigger than a 4cyl.

• Like 1

Hmm. Bit of a dilemma. That charger is nice but then again it is a dodge. I'm no mechanic and I can't afford to fix something like that. The ram might be a bit easier to maintain and last but then you've got to start paying pickup truck gas prices. I guess if you don't drive far or very often the ram would be the better option. But honestly with the way gas is going I'm convinced it's not worth driving anything bigger than a 4cyl.

If I do get a truck it won't be that Ram, it's running alright but it's pretty beat up and it's a '98 with 136,000 miles so issues are not too far ahead in my thinking. I'd likely get a newer F-150, Ram, or Silverado. Chevy is coming out with the Colorado this year too. Trucks also are getting in the low to mid 20's in MPG now which isn't all that bad considering I'll only really be driving to work or school which I'm not too far from.

The Charger has a lot of awesome features with a lot of safety and comfort. Chargers would likely be cheaper on insurance being a sedan too, but this is a 8-cyl Hemi so I doubt I'd save on anything really compared to the Mustang.

While not popular on here, I love Mustangs, I love the look of mine, and I have a lot of options for customization, and it is my first car which is another reason why I'm hesitant to get rid of it. The Mustang gets a lot of compliments and attention which anyone would like.

If I do get a truck it won't be that Ram, it's running alright but it's pretty beat up and it's a '98 with 136,000 miles so issues are not too far ahead in my thinking. I'd likely get a newer F-150, Ram, or Silverado. Chevy is coming out with the Colorado this year too. Trucks also are getting in the low to mid 20's in MPG now which isn't all that bad considering I'll only really be driving to work or school which I'm not too far from.

136,000 on a ram is not much. That's barely half of it's life cycle. It'll probably do another 100k given that it's been taken fair care of. Not to mention my best friend has one that has about 250k on it and it's barely starting to show problems. I honestly think that ram will do you good if you drive it, pickups are meant to be driven around as old beaters. I know a guy who drives a Silverado, 280k, the rear leaf suspention has popped up through the bed of the truck, the sideskirts have rusted off, the rest of the truck has rust holes clean through, and he still drives it 30 kilometers to work and back every day. The only thing I ever hear him complain about is gas.

As for Chevy, I'm told avoid the Colorado like the plague, supposedly they're money pits. And I'm not a fan of the newer Silverado's (Made in Mexico vs Made in the good ol' Dirty Shwa) although I hear they're still reliable. But I'd honestly put in the extra work and find a 2000 Chevy.

Ford pickups I am a fan of, however avoid the V6 ecoboost. In fact, avoid ecoboost altogether. It's nothing but problems waiting to happen. Ask my neighbour who had to declare bankruptcy because he couldn't afford to fix as well as pay for an ecoboost F-150.

I agree with your sentiment on the charger, the charger will most likely be more on gas, insurance, maintenance etc. Although I don't think any muscle car is a good beginner. A lot of people can let the fact that their car is higher end than others go to their head. Which is one of the main reasons I went out of my way to buy something not-so-fancy.

• Like 1

136,000 on a ram is not much. That's barely half of it's life cycle. It'll probably do another 100k given that it's been taken fair care of. Not to mention my best friend has one that has about 250k on it and it's barely starting to show problems. I honestly think that ram will do you good if you drive it, pickups are meant to be driven around as old beaters. I know a guy who drives a Silverado, 280k, the rear leaf suspention has popped up through the bed of the truck, the sideskirts have rusted off, the rest of the truck has rust holes clean through, and he still drives it 30 kilometers to work and back every day. The only thing I ever hear him complain about is gas.

As for Chevy, I'm told avoid the Colorado like the plague, supposedly they're money pits. And I'm not a fan of the newer Silverado's (Made in Mexico vs Made in the good ol' Dirty Shwa) although I hear they're still reliable. But I'd honestly put in the extra work and find a 2000 Chevy.

Ford pickups I am a fan of, however avoid the V6 ecoboost. In fact, avoid ecoboost altogether. It's nothing but problems waiting to happen. Ask my neighbour who had to declare bankruptcy because he couldn't afford to fix as well as pay for an ecoboost F-150.

I agree with your sentiment on the charger, the charger will most likely be more on gas, insurance, maintenance etc. Although I don't think any muscle car is a good beginner. A lot of people can let the fact that their car is higher end than others go to their head. Which is one of the main reasons I went out of my way to buy something not-so-fancy.

Gas is the issue. I mean it's a nice truck and I'd certainly get some of those parts fixed and what not because the rust isn't all that bad but 11/12 mpg is not worth it, that's why I'd rather get a newer year truck. I was reading up on the ecoboost and heard great things about it. GMC is also coming out with their Canyon, a version of the Colorado, but I suppose it'll be about the same.

What's with the word of Dodge's always breaking? Also now Ram is owned by Fiat, so how does that change the Ram lineup? I'd likely go the Ford route but Rams sure are sweet.

I suppose I'd rather keep my Mustang over the Charger anyway as I like the two door and general look better, but just the features that R/T has is incredible.

Do cold air intakes really do much for fuel efficiency or horsepower gains? I like the sound of them but other than that I'd like to see if there is anyone practicality with them.

35040-kn-cai-9904-v6.jpg

http://www.americanm...ai-9904-v6.html

8631-bbk-cai-v6-46.jpg

http://www.americanm...-cai-v6-46.html

Oh yes they do sir! The increase of horse power is usually 7-15hp, you'll notice it believe me. fuel economy will be a little bit better depending on where you live, but your engine will last longer because it's easier to make power with performance equipment. Easier going up hills too, less RPMs=Less wear and tear. It will just make it better in most ways. It really is worth the money. I'm helpful sometimes see.

Yeah the K&N is a good idea, i'd go with that. Check summit racing. they might have it cheaper.

You know what... I think I might trade/sell my crown Vic for another muscle car, I'm thinking 73/74 charger again...hmm

• Like 1

You know what... I think I might trade/sell my crown Vic for another muscle car, I'm thinking 73/74 charger again...hmm

Pick a fucking car, Ace. You trade one car for another car three times per month.

• Like 1