Sign in to follow this  
ConQueSteD

Along with Megaupload, btjunkie shutdown.

It was only just two weeks ago that one of the greatest file sharing websites, Megaupload, was shutdown by the FBI. This caused panic and pandemonium as the file sharing giant became non existent, and the sorrow of much of the online community grew.

Well today February 5, 2012 BTJunkie, another potent file sharing site (through torrents) has been closed. However the difference this time is that the website closed itself through its own will. The reason why is unknown, but perhaps it is due to fear of what happened to Megaupload. This would be understandable as what happened to them was traumatic and I would not want that happening to my company, but I feel that if is the case they are giving up on the community.

BTJunkie wasn't as popular as Megaupload (being a torrent website) but it was still a major player that I, and many others used because of its great organization and collection of torrents. I don't know about others but this affects my internet life significantly.

Other than the fact it has closed and their website states "This is the end of the line my friends. The decision does not come easy, but we've decided to voluntarily shut down. We've been fighting for years for your right to communicate, but it's time to move on. It's been an experience of a lifetime, we wish you all the best!", nothing else is known about them or why they closed. BTJunkie had an average of 13,113,020 visits per month according to ninjastat.com

R.I.P. 2005-2012

Sources:

http://btjunkie.org.ninjastat.com/

http://btjunkie.org/goodbye.html

Even though they closed down willingly it's still a major blow against "warez"

i don't mess with torrents, at all... i used to, but i got sick of downloading viruses and crashing my computer... you can stream just about any movie or song through the internet these days, there's no point in downloading anymore...

i pay for programs and games though... call me old fashioned, but i like to support what i like... hollywood and the music industry?? they've screwed me over plenty of times, they hardly ever get my money anymore...

Whether you agree with taking these sites down or not, it seems like a total waste of time and money when there will always be thousands of other sites that do the same thing. You're never going to take them all out, particularly when they all begin to move out of the US. They need another solution.

PS: Just a reminder that promoting warez is against the rules.