Sign in to follow this  
CaPn bOnEs

Red Dead Online BETA

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/news/article/60579/Red-Dead-Online

2054867851e75429a5fc0b9e25d6b4d52d6749b9

Today we’re excited to announce Red Dead Online, a new online connected experience set against the backdrop of Red Dead Redemption 2's enormous open world.

Red Dead Online is an evolution of the classic multiplayer experience in the original Red Dead Redemption, blending narrative with competitive and cooperative gameplay in fun new ways. Using the gameplay of the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2 as a foundation, Red Dead Online will be ready to be explored alone or with friends, and will also feature constant updates and adjustments to grow and evolve this experience for all players.

Red Dead Online is planned for launch in November 2018, initially as a public beta, with more news to come soon. As with most online experiences of this size and scale, there will inevitably be some turbulence at launch.  We look forward to working with our amazing and dedicated community to share ideas, help us fix teething problems and work with us to develop Red Dead Online into something really fun and innovative.

Access to Red Dead Online is free to anyone with a copy of Red Dead Redemption 2 on either PlayStation 4 or Xbox One.

Red Dead Redemption 2 will be available for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on October 26, 2018.

For more information about Red Dead Online, check out IGN's Q&A here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/19/red-dead-online-devs-reveal-first-details

• Like 1

<snip>

Lol beat me to it ???

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 / 19 SEP 2018 10:15 AM PDT

RED DEAD ONLINE: DEVS REVEAL FIRST DETAILS

An exclusive look at what to expect from Red Dead 2’s Multiplayer

BY JON RYAN Rockstar recently revealed Red Dead Online, Red Dead Redemption 2’s multiplayer component, will launch in November 2018 (initially as a public beta). Considering the many questions we’ve had about the nature of Red Dead 2’s up-til-now mysterious online mode, we asked Imran Sarwar, Director of Design at Rockstar North, and Josh Needleman, Senior Producer at Rockstar San Diego, to go into a little more detail about Rockstar’s evolution in the realm of multiplayer.

The pair elaborated on what elements of GTA Online will appear in RDO and how it will differ, as well as why they aren’t launching it alongside the single-player mode and the lessons learned from GTA Online’s rocky start and subsequent success as an online game.

IGN: What can players expect from Red Dead Online? Will we have as much open-world freedom as we do in the single-player component?

Imran Sarwar: Of course. Red Dead Online will use the world and gameplay mechanics of Red Dead Redemption 2 as a jumping off point for a new world of cowboys (and cowgirls) and outlaws that combines multiplayer and cooperative gameplay and narrative components in a huge open world. Players will be able explore alone or easily join with friends or other players to compete or work together. We’ll take full advantage of the entire world, as well as all the aspects of a 19th century setting that make Red Dead Redemption 2 unique and fun.

IGN: What do you want players to get out of Red Dead Online? What ambitions does Rockstar have in terms of evolving their idea of online open worlds?

Josh Needleman: Red Dead Redemption’s multiplayer was a real leap forward for us at the time. It was the first game that hinted at the real opportunities for open world multiplayer beyond cities, where the world was open as a place to create your own freeform gameplay, while at the same time was as a sort of living lobby for other, more structured kinds of game modes. Red Dead Redemption 2 will take those ideas much further and combine that with everything we’ve learned in the years since then with our favorite elements from Grand Theft Auto Online about how to make really fun and complex competitive and cooperative experiences in open worlds, and how to introduce narrative elements into multiplayer.

IGN: Why aren't you releasing Red Dead Online alongside Red Dead Redemption 2’s single-player experience?

Imran: There are a few reasons for this. The first is that even though Red Dead Redemption 2 and Red Dead Online share the same gameplay mechanics and geography, we see them essentially as separate products that will grow and evolve independently of each other.

We love story-based, single-player games and they are the foundation of everything we do. Red Dead Redemption 2 is an absolutely massive story-based game that we hope people will be lost in for a long time and we want people to experience everything that world has to offer before we build on that with the Online experience. Not to mention, playing through the story and getting to know the controls and mechanics of the game is the best way to get ready for playing inside the world of Red Dead Online.

Also, as we have learned from experience when launching Online games at this scale, there are bound to be a few issues and we want to ensure that we have time to gradually roll out the game and make the experience as smooth as we possibly can for everyone. We believe this way of rolling out will give people the best overall experiences with both single player and multiplayer.

IGN: Aside from the obvious - the 21st-century setting/vehicles/tech/etc - how will this experience be different from Grand Theft Auto Online?

Josh: One of the biggest differences between GTA and Red Dead universes is that you’re often speeding through or flying over a GTA world, whereas in Red Dead Redemption the change of pace elevates the intimacy of the overall experience. Like the single player game’s story of Arthur Morgan, we want people to settle into their online characters and feel like every activity makes sense for the character, the setting and the time. This should feel intimate and personal while still feeling fun and action-packed from moment to moment.

We’ve tried to take the best elements and best content packs from Grand Theft Auto Online and use them for templates for what we are making here. We feel Grand Theft Auto Online really only found its feet creatively with Heists. That pack, along with After Hours, The Doomsday Heist, Gun Running and a few others represent the best of Grand Theft Auto Online, and provided the template for what we wanted to use here, (not in terms of content, obviously, but how they combined narrative, gameplay, modes and other content into a cohesive thematic whole) alongside all of the elements we liked from the old Red Dead Redemption multiplayer.

IGN: What have you and the rest of the team learned from your experiences launching / designing / updating / supporting Grand Theft Auto Online?

Josh: The biggest problem with the original Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer was that every update we released fractured the audience. As the game got bigger, we separated our player base. Avoiding this was the inspiration behind Grand Theft Auto Online – we are obsessed by keeping the audience complete and experience beyond perpetual. Beyond this, after lots of trial and error (!!!), we feel we have found a way to make multiplayer games that feel like Rockstar experiences, combining personality, gameplay, style, narrative and variety into the packs. That did not really begin to happen until we released the first Heists pack. Our aim this time is to hopefully get there a bit more quicker, but still be responsive to what people enjoy playing and evolve as we go.

IGN: What happens to Grand Theft Auto Online after Red Dead Online launches?

Imran: We still have big plans for Grand Theft Auto Online and we will continue to roll out updates for the foreseeable future. We vaguely plan to stagger the updates of both games so that players can switch between the two, but our development plans may not always allow this! We think there will be a lot to love about Red Dead Online for fans of Grand Theft Auto Online, but we think that Red Dead Online will generate its own audience ready for something entirely new – however, exactly what form Red Dead Online will take as it finds it’s feet, we are not sure ourselves, but we think really want a focus on role-playing and morality. That may all change as the game comes out, but that’s the direction we are heading in now! And we are going to be working together on that with our incredible community to make this online experience into something amazing.

You can see the official announcement from Rockstar here, and check out everything we learned about the mechanics of Red Dead Online from its Ultimate Edition pre-order bonuses.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/09/19/red-dead-online-devs-reveal-first-details

I edited my post and pasted the interview instead.

Yeah, i dont mind though really. I think it's great we all get to play through the story first. Instead of coming online to all the day 1 Onliners at level 1000 because they glitched some exp somehow and completely unbalanced the gameplay for you since you just rolled in on your level 1 jackass with a waterpistol.

yea i'm fine with the delay, i figured they'd do that... what i didn't like was the part about using DLCs like gun running as a template for their online... to me that just says more public lobby stuff that you need to do to make money, if cash is going to be a big deal or not...

*cough* new topic *cough*

Not that many people will see this but I think it sums up our thoughts:

Beta. Not a word we're used to when discussing Rockstar Games. The company was always about delivering a finished product - even at the cost of multiple delays. But for everyone that experienced the launch of GTA Online, it was obvious Rockstar Games was a little too ambitious for their own capability. GTAO took months to become stable and even then it was still a rocky road. Nearly five years on and it still has some bugs but for the most part it works aside from modders sneaking in.

But for Red Dead Online, Rockstar has conceded that it will take time to get it right and have officially announced it as a beta release in November 2018.

There isn't much else in the official announcement but Rockstar gave IGN an exclusive Q&A about it. Again, there isn't much. More or less "this will be like GTAO for Red Dead" and "GTAO will continue after RDO". Check it out here and join us in the RDR2 forums!

http://www.ireddead.com/news/reddeadredemption2/499/red-dead-online-beta-info/

i mean, since i'm buying RDR2, i will be spending time online, i just hope it's not heavily pushing the public lobby aspect, because GTAO was a very toxic world with zero repercussions for being a troll in a jet... i hate when public lobbies just turn into deathmatches, i hope they find a way to encourage competitive cooperation instead of just saying, "hey! that gang over there is trying to make it back to their base with supplies, kill them for extra cash and RP!" that shit got old real fast in GTAO...

and if that's the case, i'm jumping on some early money glitches so i don't get stuck grinding out gang attacks for $20...

The free roam lobby is better in that it doesn't require constant loading screens, but R* did a shitty job at balancing it. Passive is abused by twats in jets, who as soon as it starts smoking run off to spawn another one. R* knew exactly what they were doing with it later on in the lifecycle, especially Biker sell missions that favour your attackers while you try to dodge explosive ordnance in a delivery van tumbling down a hill. Their shitty practices are why I started duping, if they want to be cunts about it then so will I. I'm not going to give them 10 quid just to afford one vehicle when I can easily make 900k in a few minutes. GTAO could've been so different, but they chose that route.

I'm going to stop myself ranting any further, suffice to say online isn't my priority, I will check it out of course. But Fallout 76 has me covered in that department.

"Red Dead Online will be ready to be explored alone..."

That sounds like a dream come true for me! But this being R*, I'm not holding my breath. Still waiting for all that amazing GTAV story DLC...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrMister81 said:

"Red Dead Online will be ready to be explored alone..."

That sounds like a dream come true for me! But this being R*, I'm not holding my breath. Still waiting for all that amazing GTAV story DLC...

That's what they said about GTAO and it was true to a point...  and then it became a grind.

Surprise! Trying to fulfill their promise of a November release, Rockstar Games will begin launching the Red Dead Online Beta starting tomorrow! It will be introduced to the masses in stages so check below to see when you can take part.

"Built from the ground up for the latest hardware, Red Dead Online blends the classic multiplayer of the original Red Dead Redemption with the best of everything we have learned since then about creating deep multiplayer experiences. The result is something completely new and fun, and an experience that will continue to expand and evolve over time."

A VIBRANT OPEN WORLD
With the gameplay of Red Dead Redemption 2 as its foundation, Red Dead Online transforms the vast and deeply detailed landscapes, cities, towns and habitats of Red Dead Redemption 2 into a new, living online world ready to be shared by multiple players. Create and customize your character, tailor your abilities to suit your play style and head out into a new frontier full of things to experience.

Explore the world solo or with friends. Form or join a Posse to ride with up to seven players; gather around the fire at your Camp; head out hunting or fishing; visit bustling towns; battle enemy gangs and attack their hideouts; hunt for treasure; take on missions and interact with familiar characters from across the five states; or fight against other outlaws in both spontaneous skirmishes and pitched set-piece battles; compete with other players or whole Posses in open world challenges and much more.

BETA PERIOD AND ACCESS
The launch of the Red Dead Online Beta is the first step in what will be a continually expanding and dynamic world, and the beta period will allow us to deal with the inevitable turbulence of launching any online experience of this size and scale.

During this process, we will be looking to our dedicated community to help us report and fix problems, share ideas, and assist in shaping the future of the full Online experience. As with all of our releases, we will strive to make the launch of Red Dead Online the best it can possibly be, and we ask that the community share that spirit with us over the next weeks and months.

To help us ease into the beta and to mitigate major issues, we will begin the early access period starting Tuesday, November 27 at 8:30am EST, and gradually scale the player base up to full access beginning on Friday, November 30. This will help ensure that our servers can handle a steadily growing volume of concurrent players in the early hours and first days of the Beta and hopefully reduce the likelihood of any server crashes during the launch week as we get things up and running. Full rollout details are as follows:

• Tuesday, November 27th: All Red Dead Redemption 2: Ultimate Edition owners. Please note, players who purchased the physical Ultimate Edition must redeem the Ultimate Edition code in the packaging to be eligible.
  • Wednesday, November 28th: All players who played Red Dead Redemption 2 on October 26th according to our data.
  • Thursday, November 29th: All players who played Red Dead Redemption 2 between October 26th to October 29th according to our data.
  • Friday, November 30th: All players who own Red Dead Redemption 2.

The Red Dead Online Beta will be available to anyone who owns Red Dead Redemption 2 on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One starting Friday, November 30. When booting up Red Dead Redemption 2 and arriving to the title menu, you will see an option in the top right of the screen to select Online.

"as of right now" :P... their main goal is to get you to buy those gold bars, so there's going to be incentive, especially if you can earn in them in the game... it's coming, lol... and that will be the beginning of the end for some of us... i'll be on the lookout for gold nugget exploits in the coming weeks lol...

i see the lasso is online as well, and currently private lobbies are not available...

this online BETA is toxic as fuck lol... it's GTAO public lobbies all over again :lol:... i'm done until we get private lobbies, it sucks having to go to the stable to get your FREE arabian horse because someone always shoots your horse, and you can't afford the 5 gold bars to get it insured lol...

like seriously, this game has miscro-transactions written all over it, unless you want to grind for hours on end... and right now, there's not a lot going on to make money... this a hard pass for me right now, i'd much rather play single player over this crap they call online...

• Like 1