Sign in to follow this  
GTAfriekSA

Protagonist/Plot-Line Predictions?

I saw there was a topic about protagonists already, but that one was to see if people thought any of the existing protagonists from IV would fit the bill.....

First off, this is my first post here for some years (we're probably talkin' pre-San Andreas days here when it was gta-sanadreas.com) because I've recently been looking out for any new updates on what could be coming next.

I didn't really do the whole speculation thing with IV, just watched the trailers really.....(especially that first one.....who doesn't remember that night? haha), but this time around, I think I know enough about the last game to not spoil it for myself by learning to much about what we can or should expect in the next installment.

It got me thinking, Due to magazine speculation and such putting their money on V being set in LA/Los Santos again, about what sort of take on it they could possibly go with. With IV they did the completely unexpected and went with a Russian protagonist which was an obscure route, and quite an original and interesting perspective for the series itself to take. I think with V, they could do something quite similar.

If I was to go with the specualtion so far, I would probably say it's going to be based around Packie Mcreary in some way, with a whole range of different character backgrounds and ethnicities, accumulating to one big plot-line. But if I was to put my money on it, I think they'll play it a bit differently............

With San Andreas they kind of did the expected (atleast of the Los Santos part), with the African American gangs of South Central being the main focal point. Where-as with V my prediction is that they will go from the other side, and it will be about the Hispanic/Latino gangs.

This prediction has no basis in any truth put out by Rockstar or any source of speculation, I simply thought about it in factual terms considering present day South Central (again just throwing it out there as a guess as to what time period might be considered) which from what I have seen on certain programs, nowadays tends to be primarily Hispanic and Latino gangs, who tend to be more of a new threat on the streets, with a more un-precendented amount of ruthlessness.

Now if I'm not mistaken, I don't think we've had a Hispanic gangster as a main protagonist before, I mean the whole hood thing again could be a bad idea, because looking back to CJ, some of that could be considered quite cheesy now, but if it was to be taken more seriously, like Niko's Russian personality, it could make for a very interesting take on an incredibly versatile series. I don't know about anyone else, but if the hood thing was done properly, with enough seriousness to make it a gripping and ruthless plot-line, they'd definitely put a smile on my face again.

What are peoples thoughts? What pro's and con's in a GTA environment do you think a story like this could entail? or if you would prefer a different spin on things, what type of protagonist or story what would that be?

I saw there was a topic about protagonists already, but that one was to see if people thought any of the existing protagonists from IV would fit the bill.....

First off, this is my first post here for some years (we're probably talkin' pre-San Andreas days here when it was gta-sanadreas.com) because I've recently been looking out for any new updates on what could be coming next.

I didn't really do the whole speculation thing with IV, just watched the trailers really.....(especially that first one.....who doesn't remember that night? haha), but this time around, I think I know enough about the last game to not spoil it for myself by learning to much about what we can or should expect in the next installment.

It got me thinking, Due to magazine speculation and such putting their money on V being set in LA/Los Santos again, about what sort of take on it they could possibly go with. With IV they did the completely unexpected and went with a Russian protagonist which was an obscure route, and quite an original and interesting perspective for the series itself to take. I think with V, they could do something quite similar.

If I was to go with the specualtion so far, I would probably say it's going to be based around Packie Mcreary in some way, with a whole range of different character backgrounds and ethnicities, accumulating to one big plot-line. But if I was to put my money on it, I think they'll play it a bit differently............

With San Andreas they kind of did the expected (atleast of the Los Santos part), with the African American gangs of South Central being the main focal point. Where-as with V my prediction is that they will go from the other side, and it will be about the Hispanic/Latino gangs.

This prediction has no basis in any truth put out by Rockstar or any source of speculation, I simply thought about it in factual terms considering present day South Central (again just throwing it out there as a guess as to what time period might be considered) which from what I have seen on certain programs, nowadays tends to be primarily Hispanic and Latino gangs, who tend to be more of a new threat on the streets, with a more un-precendented amount of ruthlessness.

Now if I'm not mistaken, I don't think we've had a Hispanic gangster as a main protagonist before, I mean the whole hood thing again could be a bad idea, because looking back to CJ, some of that could be considered quite cheesy now, but if it was to be taken more seriously, like Niko's Russian personality, it could make for a very interesting take on an incredibly versatile series. I don't know about anyone else, but if the hood thing was done properly, with enough seriousness to make it a gripping and ruthless plot-line, they'd definitely put a smile on my face again.

What are peoples thoughts? What pro's and con's in a GTA environment do you think a story like this could entail? or if you would prefer a different spin on things, what type of protagonist or story what would that be?

hate to break it to you, but Niko isn't russian, he's slovakian or ukranian or something in that area.

You really shouldn't correct him if you don't know yourself, but I chuckled a little, so no harm done. Niko is Serbian.

well i didnt know exactly what he was but i was 110% sure he wasn't russian. i just thought id point it out

good points he's mae other wise

You really shouldn't correct him if you don't know yourself, but I chuckled a little, so no harm done. Niko is Serbian.

*Slaps hand to forehead* haha......yeah I actually knew that, and considering I have close family friends who are Serbian, kinda makes it worse......ahh well....the general hove beach part of the game was based around Eastern European gangs in one way or another, easy mistake to make :ph34r:

Going back to the original topic........does anyone actually think it's plausible? or what would you like to see instead in another LA based GTA city?

I would be happy with a Hispanic protagonist in LA, and I think it's entirely possible.

i know rockstar is going to make a good character, they never have failed us yet. Im still going to buy the game no matter what, i will be however disapointed if its ONLY in Las Santos, hopefully there will be some back country at least

totally plausible to have Packie as the lead, however I dont beleive he will be considering the casting calls and gilbert shooting his mouth off, however, the mcreary's could possibly be a large factor in the next game. Packie had a good reason to leave liberty city, there was almost nothing left for him there, brother in jail, another murdered, one gone to who knows where and his sister murdered. seems to be that people leave liberty city when tragedy strikes

I would be happy with a Hispanic protagonist in LA, and I think it's entirely possible.

They could use any ethnicity and make an epic story out of it. To a certain degree I think it's almost irrelevant. I mean, we knew literally nothing about Claude in GTA III and the game was still brilliant.

they should make the game be set in three places San Andreas (modern), Vice City (modern) and finally a made up place, im sure rockstar can create a great place which is made up, either way if this does happen the game would be toooooooooo epic

Also adding to that having a great protagonist

Why not just re do SA with GTA graphics and throw in the POSSIBLE extras we have suggested. Maybe a secret island way out in the ocean would be cool though, something to fly into the sea for

CJ was never a very well built up character, we knew alittle bit about his history, but thats it. I think that we all liked his character is because we got to choose who he was, how dressed, what he looked like, where he lived, what he drove, what his skills were. Then theres Rockstar who throws in missions like the garage in San Fierro that tied well to the character.

Overall, I want another Character like CJ, but with a back ground like Niko

I think an Hispanic character is plausible. I can imagine some crazed religious, santeria, voodoo character giving the protagonist hit missions at some point. Like sacrificial kills.

I think an Hispanic character is plausible. I can imagine some crazed religious, santeria, voodoo character giving the protagonist hit missions at some point. Like sacrificial kills.

Like for the Haitians in vice city. I loved all that voodoo.

they should make the game be set in three places San Andreas (modern), Vice City (modern) and finally a made up place, im sure rockstar can create a great place which is made up.

I know what you mean, but I still want to say vice city and San Andreas are all made up aswell.

An Austrailian (or New Zealand) ex SAS man. Can't think of a plot.

Haha, being Australian I don't think I could take an australian lead seriously. Having said that, back story for an ex sas is easy, whole group of them go mercenary, theyve been running around for awhile doing that when a job comes up which requires them to kill woman or children or something, he refuses (cause we all love our feux morally righteous characters) and convinces the team to pull out. The paying person gets pissed off, kills most of your crew and your family so you set off all lone ranger to find him and f*ck the world on the way.

• Like 1

Glad I remembered this topic, I really didn't feel like starting a new one.

How likely do you guys think it is that Packie will be the main character? TBOGT's credits and the McReary name on that casting call make it a pretty safe bet that he'll be in the game in some form, but do you think he'll be the protagonist, or another supporting character?

With IV they did the completely unexpected and went with a Russian protagonist

Niko was Serbian, not Russian.

But yeah, I agree with this whole hispanic thing. If the game is to be set in San Andreas/California, it would only make sense to play a hispanic protagonist. Hispanic gangs are predominant, especially in this new age. This would also be an opportunity to utilize hip-hop culture in a game again. I don't think the "hood" idea is cheesy at all, I think it's pretty cool. But with the font of the "FIVE", the game might be more focused on class and money, so I'm thinking Venturas.

How likely do you guys think it is that Packie will be the main character? TBOGT's credits and the McReary name on that casting call make it a pretty safe bet that he'll be in the game in some form, but do you think he'll be the protagonist, or another supporting character?

I don't think Packie will be the main character. That just seems too dull to me. R* North always invent someone new for the main character so you know nothing about them when you start. Like a clean slate for a new story. It's like an unwritten rule in the GTA series. But i do believe he will make an appearance. Packie was one of the more interesting characters from GTA IV and has to make some sort of comeback.

I don't think Packie will be the main character. That just seems too dull to me. R* North always invent someone new for the main character so you know nothing about them when you start. Like a clean slate for a new story. It's like an unwritten rule in the GTA series. But i do believe he will make an appearance. Packie was one of the more interesting characters from GTA IV and has to make some sort of comeback.

Forget Toni Cipriani? Anyway I am kind of hoping that its Packie, We know who he is, but hes in a new city, new place and he sees that leaving Liberty City didn't help. The plot might be Packie goes to San Andreas to meet his cousin Eddie (was revealed in casting call), While there Packie decides to bring the McReary name respect again. Put other GTA 4 era characters mixed with new ones and I think we will have a fun story on our hands.

Guest Marney1

I just hope the protagonist is a Mexican or some other lesser breed so we can avoid the "I don't wanna play as a nigga" or "Rockstar don't like black people" bullshit. A Mexican could be a cartel member on the run in America after bumping a big shipment of cocaine. Kind of like Scarface but not really, know what I mean?

ue-mg.jpg

After a long career building up your empire with fancy houses and getting in with the Hollywood A listers your world finally comes crashing down with a dead cert you're gonna do a million years to life unless you help the DEA take down your former boss back in Mexico. When it's all over you reflect on your life of crime and return to normal life with a new identity as a schmuck - like in Goodfellas.

You started from the bottom, reached the top, and ended up losing everything because crime doesn't pay. But really, you've used your head and now that you have a fresh start with no criminal record you're free to go and dig up that secret fortune you stashed away before the DEA got onto it.

Next stop: GTA V DLC #1

250-millions-dollars-in-cash-001.jpg

I just hope the protagonist is a Mexican or some other lesser breed so we can avoid the "I don't wanna play as a nigga" or "Rockstar don't like black people" bullshit.

I lol'd.

Forget Toni Cipriani? Anyway I am kind of hoping that its Packie, We know who he is, but hes in a new city, new place and he sees that leaving Liberty City didn't help. The plot might be Packie goes to San Andreas to meet his cousin Eddie (was revealed in casting call), While there Packie decides to bring the McReary name respect again. Put other GTA 4 era characters mixed with new ones and I think we will have a fun story on our hands.

Fingers crossed. Packie was my all-around favorite character from GTA IV, and that includes DLC badasses like Johnny K.

Well Packie could also just make a significant apperance. Rosenberg from Vice City was in SA, The Vance brothers are quite significant as well. What was that drunken ass british guy that hung out with Love Fist in VC that was also in SA? Which leads me to believe the next GTA should be back in the 80's and/or 90's because that is where the basis of the old characters are. Or, Because GTA 4 was the start of a new trilogy of GTA's, the characters from Liberty City will be in the next GTA's down the road.