Here's a game version of my cinematic 'bus camp' I'm working on. This low poly version is for my showreel only, not the final film. The film version should be much more detailed graphically. :).

Marmoset_Camp_Lit_02.jpg

Marmoset_Camp_Lit_01.jpg

For a bit more of a break down, i've started a development blog at: chris3d.tumblr.com - If anyone is interested. It's more for the industry though, to show my progress and time scale spent on projects.

• Like 1

Thanks Mass. Anyone got any tips for the camp - In terms of props. I want to make it look more interesting using junk and found items. This is set in London bearing in mind, so think about what sort of things they would be able to find in that region?

What are those portable toilet-looking things that the cops sit in, those kiosks? Put in one of those, converted into an outhouse. Also, I don't know if you feel like doing any major changes to it, but the bus would look great as an open-top double-decker. The upper deck could be, well, a deck. It looks like the bus is at the top of a hill or sand dune, so the upper deck would be a good sniper perch, assuming this wasteland is a hostile place.

And a phone booth. I don't know what purpose it would serve, though. Maybe an overturned booth could be a tank for some kind of small animals, something to be raised for food? If you need a makeshift prison or some sort of slaver camp, the booths could be wrapped in chain link fence and used as cages.

I dunno, it depends on what kind of wasteland it's supposed to be. I've got plenty of ideas but I don't know what kind of style you're going for.

Well it's set in an alternative-near-future London. Most of the world has been covered by sand, because a sudden expansion of the sun. That's a vague overview anyway.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely be working harder on this one before i leave uni. I'll take some of your advice for sure. For now though, I've ran out of time for a hand-in.

ChirsBush_Camp01.jpg

ChrisBush_Camp02.jpg

ChrisBush_Camp03.jpg

Check out my blog for a quick high-speed turnaround of the camp:

http://chris3d.tumblr.com/

• Like 1

You missed a spot on the right, looks like you forgot to model the entire other side of the building silly. :P

Looks good man, love the detail in the architecture.

Thanks Zen. :)

I made some improvements to the marmoset version (in-game). The normal maps were inverted in the last one, which consequently inverted the lighting on the texture, meaning the light was underneath and the shadows were on top. I had to flip the green channel in photoshop.

LdnRuin_Marmoset2.jpg

It's not a full game as such. It's my final major project at university. I have to make a 1 minute trailer for a game designed by me and my group. We obviously have to design the game type, characters and environments with-in the game, but we'll only be making what is seen in the trailer.

The game is called 'Sable' which means sand. The main character is a 12 year old girl also called Sable. It's a third person, survival game. It's set in an alternative version of London, which has been engulfed by sand due to a rapid growth of our Sun. The game is set around 100 years after the Sun event, which is why the city is covered in sand.

The Sand covered city was sort of inspired by Egyptian ruins, and a little mining village called Kolmanskop in Namibia.

IMG_4091 - Kolmanskop.jpg

does that answer your question? :)

I'm also working on my showreel at the same time, so this thread will have a mixture of random 3D modelling, texturing and concept art by my self.

A survival game with a 12 year old girl? Surely it's a bit of a taboo (If there's any morbidity in it) for a games project at University?

Guest Marney1

A survival game with a 12 year old girl? Surely it's a bit of a taboo (If there's any morbidity in it) for a games project at University?

I think it's a good thing he's being original.

And DuPz0r - I thought you were going to forget to weather the window guards and was getting ready to point it out but as usual, my concerns were unjustified. ;)

It would be if the girl is seen to be in a mangled condition due to violence. but she isn't. We've cut the trailer in such a way that you don't see any harm to the girl. If the game would be made on the other hand, it would contain some violence. The tutors seem fine with it anyway. ;)

Last year there was a group that had a children fps, fighting zombie children, in TDM style. That wasn't approved though.

I'm modelling something from our game trailer film for my last showreel piece, but I don't want a completely sand themed showreel. So I've decided to make it in a normal sort of condition. This one is mostly to show my developing skills in modular building.

This is my progress so far:

PicCirc_Progress02.jpg

PicCirc_Progress01.jpg

PicCirc_Progress03.jpg

Well, there could/should be at least one area that's not completely covered in sand. Put a Megaton junk wall in the background and say that a there's a group trying to retake parts of London from the sand.

Well, there could/should be at least one area that's not completely covered in sand. Put a Megaton junk wall in the background and say that a there's a group trying to retake parts of London from the sand.

And a bulldozer, for sand moving. That'd be dope.

That's a great idea. I only have two days to hand this in right now though. So i went with a run down look. Boarded up windows, and metal shutters, and the signs are broken and worn. But that's something i could try for my portfolio in the long run!

You should use your free time (not all of it, you need to play Skyrim) over the next several years to make this into a real game. I like the concept, because Fallout.

Also, I hereby declare "because Fallout" to be an acceptable and grammatically correct phrase.

"Dude, we haven't seen you in three weeks, why haven't you left your house?"

"Because Fallout..."

Also, because Skyrim.