Sign in to follow this  
Mercy

Sony patents new touchscreen controller

Money is going to be made with the Wii u. Sonys not dumb and they want a slice of this new frontier. Odds are these new controller/consoles will take off setting a new standard in gaming. Other companies would be stupid to not do some research and invest.

Money is going to be made with the Wii u. Sonys not dumb and they want a slice of this new frontier. Odds are these new controller/consoles will take off setting a new standard in gaming. Other companies would be stupid to not do some research and invest.

nailed it. they've realised that nintendo got it spot on with the 1st wii and they're going to copy them from the first moment with the next gen consoles. thats how everything is now, someone does something good and everyone else copies them

Every brand will follow. Look at pawn stars and all the spin offs. Same with those storage and auction shows. Company makes bank.

Other companies want in on it. Without said product, the other company is looked down upon for not being up to date. Kinda like At&t. Took them forever to get 4g, and by the time they did, some users switched to Verizon and sprint. In my time magazine issue from last year it said AT&T might not be here today. They fell so far behind and customer satisfaction dropped too. Fuck, get me baked and i go off topic. My 2 sense

Touch screen controllers fail. It's why we don't have touchscreen keyboards for PCs. They're unergonomic and there's no tactile response. How would you put decent force feedback into a touchscreen controller? What would the battery life be like? How often would it go wrong?

Filing a patent doesn't mean much. They're probably patent trolling more than anything else. They aren't doing particularly well financially at the moment so anything to get some money from licensing would be appealing for them.

With patents you can patent a segment of the design, they may have patented one aspect just so no other competitor can then use this.

I doubt they would have a full touch screen controller, otherwise why did they swap the touch screen on off switch and the touch screen eject button on the original PS3 for more of a rubber push button.

I remeber they tried this before with this controller:

PS3_controller.jpg

Everyone said it was not going to work and obviously they never used it. I hope this is the same sort of thing.

i could see it being beneficiary if it's used for menus or casting spells and shit like that, stuff that's not used 95% of the time like a control stick... being forced to use it for cheap gimmicky games will undoubtely kill off sony for good... look at how well the kinect and move are doing as competitors for the wii... yea, not as well as expected...

core gamers are still not sold on cheap parlor tricks like motion tech and touch screens... it's the casual gamers that are dilutting the gaming industry and the only way to reach them is to roll out this shit... the gaming insustry has drastically changed since the wii and ipod touch came out, and core gamers are starting to get left behind because we don't want to use that tech..

I think partial touch screen controls would be ok....

You could set custom buttens.. Minigames... ECG

My Penis, Your Ass

Btw, casual gamers probably out number core gamers by now or very soon... So I suspect video game developers and console developers are more concerned with them....

My Penis, Your Ass

The playstation controller is one thing that doesn't need improving.

That's where I think you're wrong. While the layout and interface of the controller are perfect the size is not so much, I'm over six foot tall so I naturally have large hands which means they don't comfortably fit on the PS3 controller yet I can comfortably hold a 360 controller because the size is much larger and gives me more comfort.

That's where I think you're wrong. While the layout and interface of the controller are perfect the size is not so much, I'm over six foot tall so I naturally have large hands which means they don't comfortably fit on the PS3 controller yet I can comfortably hold a 360 controller because the size is much larger and gives me more comfort. (quote)

Maybe controls should come in different sizes, similar to the DS Lite & the DS Lite XL. Though Im 6'5 and the control size doesn't bother me. Im typing with it right now. About the touch screen controllers, I DO NOT WANT THEM. Maybe they can use it for the PS buttoun in the middle, but keep the buttons the same. The joy sticks could use some work. While were talking about joy sticks (lol)anyone else think that forceful feedback should be an option for the joy sticks in driving games. Maybe they can add it to future GTA games.</p></p>

I agree that touch and motion devices do not go down well with core gamers. But i also agree that the market is now bigger for the casual gamer. There will always be developers out there making core games though, that wont stop. But trying to play GTA V for example, with a touch screen controller, is pure fail. It wont be responsive enough. I still find simple flash games sometimes unresponsive on touchscreen phones, and tablets, so i don't know how they'd expect much from a full console touchscreen device.

Another rant about touchscreen devices: I think they're restrictive, and i don't see a player being able to hold the device and press more than two or three buttons at once. With a controller, you have the power to hold 6-8 buttons at the same time if you need to. which allows a lot more variety.