Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marney-1

Smells Like Teen Spirit Xmas No.1?

Guest Marney1

Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit to be re-released for Christmas

Universal to reissue 1991 grunge anthem following Facebook campaign to stop X Factor winner from reaching Christmas No 1

Nirvanas-Kurt-Cobain-Dave-007.jpg

Nirvana's label is getting serious about Christmas, announcing it will re-release Smells Like Teen Spirit in a bid to bag the Christmas No 1.

More than 100,000 people have "liked" a Facebook campaign to send Smells Like Teen Spirit to the top of the charts for the week starting 18 December. Once again it's a campaign against The X Factor, whose winners clinched the top spot in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2010. Organisers claim the campaign was inspired by SyCo's spat with Rhythmix, and they hope to raise money for the Brighton-based charity.

The model is Rage Against the Machine's 2009 victory over Joe McElderry. In that case, a 17-year-old anthem against institutionalised racism defeated McElderry's soporific song about uphill battles. But the novelty has since worn off: last year's major Facebook campaign, for the Trashmen's 1963 hit Surfin' Bird, fell well short of its prize. Whereas X Factor's Matt Cardle sold 439,000 copies of his Biffy Clyro cover, Surfin' Bird shifted fewer than 70,000, reaching No 3.

Even if Nirvana's odds aren't good – Ladbrokes puts them at 6/1 – their label is showing its support. According to campaigners, Universal has announced it will reissue Smells Like Teen Spirit as a limited edition 7in, two decades after it was first released. "They feel this campaign is worth backing and giving their support to, which is brilliant news." campaigners wrote. Just so long as Simon Cowell doesn't assign the song to an X Factor contestant …guardian.co.uk

They should do this every year, not release this song, just anything that'll stop the X Factor winners of the future from reaching No.1.

Why can't they have an Xmas anthem for Xmas #1 to make x factor not #1? Im a joe fan and the campain annoyed me, i hate x factor, its a shit label just a money making machine, if you dont make simon money u are dropped. Joe for example got a number 2 album and single went to number 4. A normal artist this is great for a debut single and album but xfactor is different, most acts get dropped.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I fucking hate Nirvana nearly more than I'll hate whichever proud american wins Excrement Factor. Why can't we get Iron Maiden to number 1? :(

Well, you fucking suck then.

dude, nevermind was the album of my life in middle school... that and evil empire... i would totally support this if it wasn't a european thing... plus, fuck these singing competition shows, i wish they would just die... instead, every year, a whole new batch of them pop up... fuck TV...

• Like 1

Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine, and Sublime was the official soundtrack for any real stoner in the 90's. Of course, I obviously wasn't a stoner back then, but I heard all of their songs when I was a kid hanging out with my older cousin, who I didn't realize until much later was stoned all the time.

I still frequently listen to them when I'm high.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I fucking hate Nirvana nearly more than I'll hate whichever proud american wins Excrement Factor. Why can't we get Iron Maiden to number 1? :(

Kurt Cobain > Psy

Why can't they have an Xmas anthem for Xmas #1 to make x factor not #1? Im a joe fan and the campain annoyed me, i hate x factor, its a shit label just a money making machine, if you dont make simon money u are dropped. Joe for example got a number 2 album and single went to number 4. A normal artist this is great for a debut single and album but xfactor is different, most acts get dropped.

Before you or some prick posts it, The Pogues want no part in these campaigns, have said numerous times.

Kurt Cobain > Psy

FC_Infinity_41717_lg.gif

• Like 1

Guest Marney1

Iron Maiden is my favourite band EVER but nevermind.

Edit: I'VE SHOOK STEVE HARRIS' HAND :v

Ask him yourself, I was the one with the white Seventh Son of A Seventh Son t-shirt on - 4th October 1990 - ASK HIM ASK HIM NOW!!

"The eyes of the nile are opening you'll seeeeeeeeeee"

Iron Maiden is my favourite band EVER but nevermind.

Edit: I'VE SHOOK STEVE HARRIS' HAND :v

Ask him yourself, I was the one with the white Seventh Son of A Seventh Son t-shirt on - 4th October 1990 - ASK HIM ASK HIM NOW!!

"The eyes of the nile are opening you'll seeeeeeeeeee"

I asked him... I didn't know you were a fat 50 year old woman.

Before you or some prick posts it, The Pogues want no part in these campaigns, have said numerous times.

I dont like that shit song anyway. I mean its just an old couple swearin at each other, wow makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! I meant like something from cliff richard, or wham last christmas, an actual christmas song. Then more people would do it. Xmas songs are universal, everyone knows them.