Sign in to follow this  
GunSmith

The Forest

Has anyone tried The Forest? Currently exclusive to PC; a PS4 version is in development.

An ever-expanding open-world forest island is populated by smart and cunning, but primitive cannibalistic natives (plus tons of woodland critters and living, lifelike flora). By the light and safety of sunlight, you're tasked with organizing and establishing a means to survive the nocturnal native activity.

I'm blown away by the AI so far. The cannibals are believably cautious; they don't charge you relentlessly like every other survival-horror enemy. They hang back, communicate and coordinate with fellow tribals, and monitor and adapt to the player's behavior. Fallen trees, remains of campfires, etc. will provoke the cannibals' curiosity, causing them to investigate the player more closely, etc.

It's very easy to sink lengths of time into this. This is the most engaging and captivating game I've played in a while. Hope there are a few players here, I'm dying to try co-op.

• Like 1

Yeah i've got it. Haven't played it in quite a while as I got pissed off with the constant updates making my saves unplayable. It scared the shit out of me at first, I was standing paralyzed in the middle of the forest paranoid of any slight movement, but like everything you get used to it after a while. One time when I got taken into the caves, got out my lighter and there's one of those spider mutants standing 15ft in front of me, just said "nope!" and quit right there.

Yeah i've got it. Haven't played it in quite a while as I got pissed off with the constant updates making my saves unplayable. It scared the shit out of me at first, I was standing paralyzed in the middle of the forest paranoid of any slight movement, but like everything you get used to it after a while. One time when I got taken into the caves, got out my lighter and there's one of those spider mutants standing 15ft in front of me, just said "nope!" and quit right there.

If you're willing to restart (again), it seems the save system works as it should now. There have likely been a lot of updates since you stopped playing. They update the map pretty frequently, too, so it might be worth trying once more. Also, fuck the caves. Haven't been dragged away yet, but I accidentally found an entrance tucked away between rocks and trees. Ventured in about 20 paces, heard growls and a distant shriek bounce and echo off the walls, had to turn tail and nope the fuck out of there.

Looks interesting.

Any word when it coms out for the PS4?

It is. No word yet, unfortunately. Edited by GunSmith

Is it still just the one island or has the second part with the mountain been unlocked yet? Might be a good place to try and hang ourselves from.

Sounds interesting, it always seems to be updating whenever Steam starts up. I wonder if they fixed the instancing with co-op, seems if you hack off limbs from a body they are still there for other players.

Had a quick go today, got a basic camp set up with a few storage bits. Went to sleep and was woken in the night by menacing music and the arrival of a few cannibals. Got attacked, killed them and went back to bed, health didn't seem to replenish despite eating cooked food and drinking. Got attacked the following night by a starving cannibal and was incapacitated because of low health, got taken to a cave (I like the new being dragged away animation.) Looted some stuff in the cave, pussied out and decided not to spelunk further then ran home and chowed on roast turtle while furtively cowering behind my shelter. Later that day the cannibals came and took my lunch money and threatened me with a sopping wet vagina on a stick, I told them my dad was part of the mafia and not to fuck with me. My speech wasn't high enough so they laughed at me. The end.

• Like 1

Fuck, you should have fought the second war party instead of relying on speech. The Cunt-club has the highest damage of all weapons, you could have made it yours.

Also, I think food just gives you energy and fills the belly. You need proper medicine for health.

• Like 1

Oh so I need medicine to fight of the evil pixies. I've only found seven of the Colonel's secret herbs and spices so far, getting the first few out of him under torture was easy but now even the kevlar anal beads aren't working, their pleasure rating isn't high enough so I need to find the carbon fibre ones.

I think today I shall take a jaunt up to the mountain... not before getting the rope from the yacht, assuming that's still a thing. I also found an actual map piece, which was nice.

Upgrade the Kevlar beads with tree sap and feathers, it increases the attack speed and nullifies the need to find the carbon fiber set.

The yacht still has rope and other treasures. I think there's some additional loot from what you remember. I believe they added an axe and a copy of "Semen on Shore Leave VIII" or something.

Edited by GunSmith