Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Wisdom

The one stop place for anything with reason or logic. Share some cool science stuff or anything really in that area.

I open with Neil Degrasse Tyson.

600992_547829261904756_407155366_n.png

• Like 1

idk.. but its maybe cause as the core is big, the rest of the earth is even bigger.. the core is actually small compared to the rest.

im no scientist just a guess.. but if anything it could be that the magnetic fields in the core is part of what allows the things we use to work..

Most likely because it isn't concentrated like an actual magnet, that's like asking why metal doesn't fly towards the sky/earth because of the magnetic field.

• Like 1

The one stop place for anything with reason or logic. Share some cool science stuff or anything really in that area.

I open with Neil Degrasse Tyson.

600992_547829261904756_407155366_n.png

I have an opposing view to share regarding our species, Remember Agent Smith's ( Hugo Weaving ) Monologue in 'The Matrix' ~

I don't think it would be that sad if our race ended. In my opinion our World, and the rest of the Universe would get along just fine without us.

I don't think it would be that sad if our race ended. In my opinion our World, and the rest of the Universe would get along just fine without us.

I agree to an extent, it's obvious our planet and the universe would get along fine without us, we're nothing compared to the rest, but due to our intelligence and how much our species has evolved, if we could over come war and violence and the such then I think that it would be great to see us develop into a society that can travel in space and colonize other planets. But if we end as a species and don't reach that point then it would be somewhat sad to see, and although that will happen many generations after us and we won't be alive to see it happen, knowing that when I die there is the possibility it may come will make me just as happy.

Dude, we can't even work out how to provide every person the basic necessities of life let alone colonise other planets. Our intelligence is hampered by our ego and by selfishness - most current economic theory proves this.

• Like 2

Despite the core of the Earth being a giant magnet, our hard drives and computers and cell phones function just fine.

Why?

Magnetism is the weakest force and over a very large area the force it exhibits is very small.

Despite the core of the Earth being a giant magnet, our hard drives and computers and cell phones function just fine.

Why?

Magnetism is the weakest force and over a very large area the force it exhibits is very small.

Magnetism is greatly stronger than gravity. Think about this:

Every object exerts gravitational pull. The larger the object, the larger its gravitational force. However, a simple fridge magnet can overcome the strength of the ENTIRE gravitational force of Earth.

I will leave you with a quote and a picture.

In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time someting like that happened in politics or religion.

- Carl Sagan 1987 CSICOP Keynote address

163312_545537155467300_2058291154_n.jpg

Gravity is based on magnetism, right? So the core's magnetic strength is strong enough to keep everything grounded on the surface, but not to interfere with hard drives on the surface?

Also, Plato was an avid basketball player and fanatic:

15xlf5s.jpg

Gravity is based on magnetism, right? So the core's magnetic strength is strong enough to keep everything grounded on the surface, but not to interfere with hard drives on the surface?

Also, Plato was an avid basketball player and fanatic:

15xlf5s.jpg

Gravity and Magnetism are not the same thing.

Gravity is a force that acts between any two, or more objects with mass. No matter what they are made of, both objects get pulled towards one another just because they have mass.

Unlike gravity, which occurs between any two objects, magnetism depends on specific properties of objects. Magnetism can either pull the two objects together, or push them apart, depending on which way the magnets point. Most importantly, it depends what is going on with the electrons in the material, since each electron is like a tiny magnet itself. Most materials are almost insensitive to magnetism because the electrons act like magnets pointing every which way, with more or less equal numbers pulling or pushing.

Also both magnetism and gravity can affect objects at a distance. Both get weaker as the objects move apart. This is why you are affected by the pull of gravity from the Earth, but not from distant planets. It's also why two magnets may move together if you place them near each other, but if you set them far apart nothing will happen. However, as objects get farther apart, the gravity between them goes down by a factor of four when you double the distance, but the magnetism goes down by ( at least ) a factor of eight. On the scale of the Solar System, with planets far apart, gravity is much more important than magnetism.

I know that they're two completely different forces, but I remember reading/being taught that gravity exists because of magnetism.

Gravity and magnetism are not the same thing. In fact, they are completely separate forces. Gravity is a force that acts between any two objects with mass. No matter what they are made of, both objects get pulled towards each other just because they have mass. The reason it seems like gravity only pulls you towards the earth is because the earth is so big that the pull from you on it isn't enough to do much to its motion.

Unlike gravity, which occurs between any objects, magnetism depends on specific properties of objects. Magnetism can either pull the two objects together or push them apart, depending on which way the magnets point. Most importantly, it depends on what is going on with the electrons in the material, since each electron is like a tiny magnet itself. Most materials are almost insensitive to magnetism because the electrons act like magnets pointing every which way, more or less equal numbers pulling or pushing.

In some materials, the electrons can lower their energy by lining up magnetically into magnetic domains. In each domain, most of the electrons pull and push together, so you can get big forces. In some materials (permanent magnets) the domains can all be lined up so you get really big magnetic forces. If you measure very carefully, however, you find that there are small magnetic forces between magnets and 'non-magnetic' materials like pieces of copper or pieces of wood or people. Some of those 'non-magnetic' things are attracted to magnets and others are repelled.

By the way, only some ferrous materials are magnets, and only a few magnetic materials are ferrous.

Both magnetism and gravity can affect objects at a distance. Both get weaker as the objects get farther apart. This is why you are affected by the pull of gravity from the earth, but not from distance planets. It's also why two magnets may move together if you set them near each other, but if you set them far apart nothing will happen. However, as two objects get far apart, the gravity between them goes down by a factor of four when you double the distance, but the magnetism goes down by (at least) a factor of eight. On the scale of the solar system, with planets far apart, gravity is much more important than magnetism.

For more information on these forces, you can search this site.

-Tamara (and mike)

http://van.physics.i...ting.php?id=225

I know that they're two completely different forces, but I remember reading/being taught that gravity exists because of magnetism.

Nah bro, that shit is ignorant.

Nah bro, that shit is ignorant.

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-....

Still, between the magnetic forces exerted by the poles (not our silly Slavic friends) and those exerted by the core, why ain't our shit all fugged up?