Sign in to follow this  
Psy

Website Comment Improvements

Given that a number of our pages have a lot of comments, I'm trying to think of ways to improve the size of the page. It's a bit of a pain to scroll down 70 comments to read the latest ones, but at the same time I don't want to display them in order from newest to oldest as I think the first people to comment should be shown at the top.

I was thinking of maybe grouping them by date and making it so when you click on the date it will hide/show the comments on that date. Then the dates within 3 days in the past will be open by default, so you're effectively ignoring everything but the newest comments and there's less to scroll through.

Another solution involves pagination, similar to the forums, where 25 comments are shown per page then you can click [2] or next to view the rest.

I could also implement something similar to facebook/twitter where 25 comments are shown by default and as you scroll down it either automatically loads more, or there's a link to load more which loads the next 25.

Because the comments are text only, they don't use much bandwidth or space, so it's not a major issue for loading the website, it would just be good to tidy them up a bit.

Any ideas?

I could also implement something similar to facebook/twitter where 25 comments are shown by default and as you scroll down it either automatically loads more, or there's a link to load more which loads the next 25.

That last part is what I was thinking. I vote for a "load more comments" option.

Only problem with that is it doesn't solve the main issue I have, which is I want to read new comments quickly. Doing it that way, I'd have to wait for it to load the rest of the comments first (unless I switch the order of the comments to newest first so it works exactly like twitter)

I suggest "purging" comments; hiding posts that have been down-voted, then making them viewable by clicking on them. Since most of the comments are fucking retarded, it would save a lot of space.

Have two lists of comments? One list with Old to new whereby it shows only 25 comments at a time and then you have to select a comment page [1] [2] [3]... [8] etc.

Then a second list beside it, which updates with only the latest 10 or 25 posts?

Added pagination to the comments. It's all done with JavaScript so you don't need to reload the page to view other 'pages' or comments. What this means is it loads all comments when you first load the page then hides them in groups of 20. What do you all think? I'm personally pretty happy with it.

I think with paginated comments it makes sense to have newer comments appear first. Otherwise barely any after the first page will be read.

Guest Bruce Willis

Can you somehow highlight the latest comment at the top, or maybe the most popular comment?

Hmm I'll have to think about it. OPx mentioned that too but I'm not sure if I want them to display in newest to oldest order.

Bah what the hell. There you go. Now just gotta decide what to do with "your" comment when you make one. Can't exactly make it appear at the top of the list and move everything down one.