Sign in to follow this  
TreeFitty

Passage of Time in RDR2

Going through screencaps of the trailer(s) again to map out Valentine, I noticed something about one of the buildings...

Map for reference. We are looking at Keane's Hotel just below this:

radar-valentine.png

This shot is from the very end of the gameplay trailer during a heist/robbery of some sort. Notice the building on the left with lumber out front and no big signs on it (there is a "Help Wanted" sign on the post):

keanes1-2.png

Now in these two shots construction has moved along. There is only a sawhorse out front with a wagon that has some wood and a (assumed) temporary ramp instead of stairs:

keanes2.png

And now in these shots from previous trailers/screenshots there is a sign advertising "Keane's rooms for rent". Note the building is still not finished:

keanes3.png

This seems to be more than game development/progression. This is Rockstar changing props to show in-game progress.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Yeah there are quite a few differences in certain terrain that we have noticed - snow atop mountains in some shots but not others, more green and lush plain compared to the old, dry dusty grasslands in the older trailers. Certainly seems indicative of time passing. Have yet to see a game really implement seasons properly (aside from The Sims 2: Seasons,) but then I don't play many games.

i mean, they never did finish that damn skyscraper in downtown los santos, lol... i see what you're getting at tho, perhaps the map does develop the more you advance the story... which also brings up the elephant in the room; does RDRO take place before or after the story? because then that would be the map we all see... so that's a tricky one...

They also do a pretty good job of destroying Valentine during the trailers/screenshots but this one building seems to be the only one with any kind of change.

As we've seen there will definitely be some areas/ranches that get wiped out as the story goes on. Similar to the O'Neil ranch in GTA V getting burned down. Good question about when RDRO will take place.

There's got to be a point to these progressive building mechanics. It can't just be for show, that would be a wasted opportunity. Maybe we'll see new shops open up as we progress, giving us more provisional options than we previously had, or side business opportunities, giving us a little extra money?

From IGN's preview:

At one point, I rode up to an old man watching two younger men building the frontage of a house. The old man told me how these were his sons, that he thought teaching them how to build their own home would build characters, and that, sadly, they were awful at it. As if to prove a point, the frame of the house promptly fell on and killed me. Unintentional comedy aside, Rockstar points out that, over time, this house will become more developed, and the old man will have more to say, emphasising how long you’ve spent with Arthur.

It’s not clear how long will pass in the course of the campaign, or how extensive those changes will be (could we see towns grow to reflect the progress of the 19th Century west?) but it seems that story missions will be what initiates a time jump.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/20/we-played-2-hours-of-red-dead-redemption-2-heres-what-happened

• Like 1