Sign in to follow this  
DuPz0r

4k TV Problem

I just got a new TV, had my old one for well over 8 years, so i needed an upgrade.

It's a 50" Panasonic Viera 4k Smart TV. It's great, and looks sweet in my living room. But one thing that was bugging me from the moment i started watching it. All my favourite classic movies which i have on Blue-ray or 1080p copies of, suddenly felt like TV series, like a soap opera...  They almost lose their grainy look and aesthetics, and feel like you're sat there in the scene with the actors...

I'm sure some of you here know what i mean, if you've watched 24fps movies at 30 or 60fps. 

Well anyway, i looked it up on google, and sure enough it isn't just me. It's called the soap opera effect (SOE), it's a dynamic picture smoothing feature or something, which pads out the frames to make a 24fps, 60fps. It's gonna ake a lot of getting used to. Games look great at 60fps, but films, just lose their film feeling, and look ore like cheap TV episodes in my opinion.

My question is, does anyone here know how to turn this feature off? I'm on a Panasonic Viera.

Sounds familiar, I had to do something similar on my Sony Smart TV, pretty sure it was called Cinema mode as well. Makes a big difference for sports, action movies or video games, where there's lots of fast movement on the screen.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/131319-panasonic-viera-tx-50ax802b-4k-tv-review-ultra-high-definition-bargain

Apparently you can manually tweak the video setting for each input, if this review is for the same model as what you bought.

There doesn't seem to be an option from what I've noticed. Been through all the advanced settings too.

It's not a major problem, everything is sharp and smooth to perfection. It even does a great job of upscaling 1080p to 4k. But i just can't shake that feeling it all looks recorded on a handycam, which the smoothing gives it. I just watched The Amazing Spiderman, and the animation is so smooth, his jumps and acrobatics feels slow and CG, because the animation pacing is off... 

yea, i noticed this a year ago when my buddy was watching some old movie and i couldn't get over the look... he didn't have a clue what i was talking about, but days later i found out it had a name, soap opera effect... it is super noticeable to me, it kind of pulls me out of the experience... my TV doesn't quite have the FPS to notice it, but i have seen it on other people's newer TVs...

Newer tvs are giving people less and less options with regards to this.

I'd call up Panasonic support though... There are too many differences in tvs of even the same brand... It'll be faster...