Sign in to follow this  
DuPz0r

Broken Audio jack removal...

My little one got hold of my PS4 controller when i was at work, and managed to snap off the tip of an audio jack in the controller. So far, tweezers and micro screwdrivers haven't helped remove it...

The only two options i can think of involve pulling the controller apart or the use of super glue... Any other suggestions?post-28-0-26057300-1432121272.jpg

Not using superglue would be my suggestion...

Taking it apart probably won't get you at the goods either.

I think you could get a needle and pick at it (a lot) until it comes out.

If your really confident with your drilling skills you could get small drill bit and drill it out.. It's really thin metal so it should rip right out once the drill tip hits it.

Or you could bash it on the skull of your A-hole kid till it drops out.

• Like 1

That's a good one.

Try bending the tip of a sewing needle into a hook, and see if you can get it in alongside of the broken tip and try to pick it out.

As a last resort, you could try superglue on the end of a Q-tip or toothpick and see if it'll bond just with the broken bit and pull out in one piece, without sticking to the controller. I doubt a magnet would work. If the bit is plastic, you could always heat up a pin and jam it in to melt the plastic.

I don't think using superglue or melted plastic on electronics is a great idea...

Sewing needle :thumbup:

That's a good one.

Thanks, but it wasn't my idea. I saw on the news once :D
  • Like 1

Yeah i was kind of not going to go down that route anyway, i know electronics and glues don't mix, but i did think the same way as gtagrl suggested.

I may try bending a needle or clip and try that. If no luck it can just be my spare controller for when friends come over.

I haven't tried to play with it in, but i was hoping i can still get sound from the tv even if it thinks there'san audio device plugged in.

I figure the tip of a needle will be narrower than a straight paper clip, so you might have better luck getting it in next to the broken bit. I don't suppose suction would work...

The tip is also the locking mechanism for the audio input. So you would have to overcome the little latch. 

I would take the controller apart and get to that circuit board. I can't find any good pictures of the backside of the port to see if there's a place for a pin to disable the lock or dislodge the tip.

From an electronics standpoint I would think the tip stuck in there wouldn't do much. I'm pretty sure the first section nearest the wire is ground so the other sections aren't connected to anything else. Worst case you won't have a mic or one side of your audio.

Audio jacks are fully encased, there is plastic covering all the other sides

http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/390611649895_/10-Pcs-PCB-Mount-Female-25mm-Headphone-Stereo.jpg

I actually found a pic of the audio jack on adafruit...

post-12-0-82797100-1432141971_thumb.jpg

The top pin is left channel audio

Also, dupzor the controller detects resistance between the mic and speaker and their grounds... In this case there is infinite resistance so the controller won't detect a headphone plugged in

That looks like a bitch to get into. But it sounds like it shouldn't give me too much trouble then...? My headset is USB anyway. I've packed my PS4 away for now as i'm moving house on Friday, so i'll check it out when i get it all unpacked.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Just FYI, I'm now going to write an epic country music song about a drunken, homeless country singer. I call it, the Ballad of Audio Jack.

The chorus goes...

As he stumbled on, down the railroad tracks,

They all thought they'd broken Audio Jack.

But sooner or later, he'd sure be back,

Ain't no one fucks with ol' Audio Jack.

[Guitar and fiddle solo]

• Like 4