Sign in to follow this  
GunSmith

XBox 360 Heat Dispersion

Since my POS Xbox loves overheating, I am deciding whether or not I should just leave the case off entirely. For those of you well-versed in modifying and maintaining XBox 360s (stares at Con), I'd love some advice. Will this harm my XBox over time, do you recommend it, etc.

I appreciate any advice.

Do it at your own risk.

The worst thing to happen if you take the casing off is dust collection. I had an Xbox that over heated I took apart and ever so often cleaned it with a can of compressed air. As long as you don't mess with the motherboard and the heat sink you should be fine, just clean it with compressed air every once in awhile. If it comes down to it and you can keep it efficiently cooled outside of the Original housing then I'd say go for it.

Do it at your own risk.

DO NOT remove the DVD drive from the housing this overtime can kill the laser. On my 2nd Xbox the disc drive failed and wouldn't open. so I took it out of the housing and killed the laser from the dust (partly because I was being stupid & being lazy sucks).

Edit: If you take the console out of the housing remove the fan cover and properly clean the fans. If you'd like help doing that I'm sure I can post a picture tutorial.

( I like to take shit apart)

I'm really helpful and knowledgeable.

Yeah, its frequent deaths force me to clean it frequently. A week or so ago, I sat there with Q-tips and cleaned both sides of each fan blade. For both fans. Most boring thing I've ever done. There was about an eighth-inch layer of dust on each blade. Compressed air wouldn't budge it.

Also, the heat sinks are the things that look like about 8-10 walls, very close together, correct? I've seen so many sources saying they're this and that, and I don't know what's correct. :P

I appreciate your help, Con. Seems to be working right after I posted this, but if it does it again, I'll just drill holes in the silver sub-housing and leave the plastic one off entirely. Thanks a lot.

Cheers!

I'm really helpful and knowledgeable.

Yeah, its frequent deaths force me to clean it frequently. A week or so ago, I sat there with Q-tips and cleaned both sides of each fan blade. For both fans. Most boring thing I've ever done. There was about an eighth-inch layer of dust on each blade. Compressed air wouldn't budge it.

Also, the heat sinks are the things that look like about 8-10 walls, very close together, correct? I've seen so many sources saying they're this and that, and I don't know what's correct. :P

I appreciate your help, Con. Seems to be working right after I posted this, but if it does it again, I'll just drill holes in the silver sub-housing and leave the plastic one off entirely. Thanks a lot.

Cheers!

The aluminum housing is thin enough tin snips should be able to puncture it, you could even just remove the aluminum sub-housing it only requires I think a T-6 or T-8 or Phillips screwdriver. I took the sub-housing top off and left the bottom half in the bottom housing. so it wouldn't scuff the surfaces it was placed upon. It also gives you better vantage points to clean the dual fans seeing as you're able to clean them easily as they're accessible.

The aluminum housing is thin enough tin snips should be able to puncture it, you could even just remove the aluminum sub-housing it only requires I think a T-6 or T-8 or Phillips screwdriver. I took the sub-housing top off and left the bottom half in the bottom housing. so it wouldn't scuff the surfaces it was placed upon. It also gives you better vantage points to clean the dual fans seeing as you're able to clean them easily as they're accessible.

I'd remove the top half of the Box entirely, but I'm afraid of dust falling onto the motherboard and in the heatsinks. I'll try drilling them first.

I'd remove the top half of the Box entirely, but I'm afraid of dust falling onto the motherboard and in the heatsinks. I'll try drilling them first.

I've had one of mine torn down for about a year the only thing to have gone wrong with it was the DVD drive it refused ejecting so I took that cover off and never covered it up and killed the laser via dust. You should be good as long as you blow the dust off and keep maintaining it you should be fine. Although it's your console it's your call, I'm just offering advice from experience with Xbox.

• Like 1

Sell it and get a jasper instead. Good luck getting that to overheat.

Basically any xbox prior to jasper chipset is

prone to overheating, red rings whatever you want to call it.

identifying.jpg

It's an Elite, MFR Date is 1-16-2008. I remember seeing a sticker somewhere that told me what chipset mine was, but can't remember where. I believe it was on the inside.

What kinda box you got?

It's an Elite, MFR Date is 1-16-2008. I remember seeing a sticker somewhere that told me what chipset mine was, but can't remember where. I believe it was on the inside.

What kinda box you got?

Look at the power supply plug at the back of the console which ever one it resembles is the gen.

Look at the power supply plug at the back of the console which ever one it resembles is the gen.

TBH, I can't tell. :unsure: If you like, I can upload a picture of my connector.

You have an Opus or Falcon so it's manufacturing pre-dates 2008.

Back in early 2008, (just after IV was released, actually) the bastard RRoD'd and I sent it in for repairs. I believe they pulled a switcheroo and put an older chipset in my XBox's shell. My MFR date says early 2008. It could be that they only started to use Jaspers later on in 2008, a few months after I bought mine? I dunno.

Did they develop a new chipset when they released the XBox 360S? If they did, I think I'll just buy one of those. Con, you're invited to the funeral of my old one.

You have an Opus or Falcon so it's manufacturing pre-dates 2008.

Back in early 2008, (just after IV was released, actually) the bastard RRoD'd and I sent it in for repairs. I believe they pulled a switcheroo and put an older chipset in my XBox's shell. My MFR date says early 2008. It could be that they only started to use Jaspers later on in 2008, a few months after I bought mine? I dunno.

Did they develop a new chipset when they released the XBox 360S? If they did, I think I'll just buy one of those. Con, you're invited to the funeral of my old one.

Trinity was the chipset launched with 360S but they switched to Corona sometime in 2011 or 2012. I'd keep the old one also and fuck around with it.

Trinity was the chipset launched with 360S but they switched to Corona sometime in 2011 or 2012. I'd keep the old one also and fuck around with it.

I'd love to tinker with my XBox, but I've been afraid of damaging it beyond repair.

Do it at your own risk.

The worst thing to happen if you take the casing off is dust collection. I had an Xbox that over heated I took apart and ever so often cleaned it with a can of compressed air. As long as you don't mess with the motherboard and the heat sink you should be fine, just clean it with compressed air every once in awhile. If it comes down to it and you can keep it efficiently cooled outside of the Original housing then I'd say go for it.

Do it at your own risk.

DO NOT remove the DVD drive from the housing this overtime can kill the laser. On my 2nd Xbox the disc drive failed and wouldn't open. so I took it out of the housing and killed the laser from the dust (partly because I was being stupid & being lazy sucks).

Edit: If you take the console out of the housing remove the fan cover and properly clean the fans. If you'd like help doing that I'm sure I can post a picture tutorial.

Could have told me this yesterday

Do it at your own risk.

Do it at your own risk.

This was posted Yesterday morning at 3:36 AM

Mudu im talking is it one of the slims.

Do it at your own risk.

Do it at your own risk.

This was posted Yesterday morning at 3:36 AM

I just checked this today. Ohhh

Jk