Sign in to follow this  
DuPz0r

I need a good Camera...

I'm in need of a digital camera that can produce clean sharp images and has a reasonable optical zoom. The resolution isn't really my concern, i just want a decent ISO/shutter/apature range to play around with.

The catch is that i can't really afford a quality DSLR, so i'm looking more towards a mirrorless hybrid. So a compact with a decent size sensor & lens. Removable lenses if possible.

My budget is about £250- £300 (Whatever that is in dollars).

I know there is a couple of avid photographers on these forums, so i ask, can anyone recommend me a good camera in this price range?

Edit/

That's my budget not including lenses and memory cards, i can buy those at a later date.

I find my camera pretty amazing because it has a really impressive zoom. I use it mostly for concerts though so that's why it's important for me to have that, it also has anti shake and fast capture. It's far cheaper than you're wanting and probably not high tech enough but it's a canon powershot sx410 IS 

adele concert how far from the stage we were image.jpg

up close with zoom from seat to stage

image.jpg

picture from my recent holiday

image.jpg

• Like 1

I can vouch for Sony and Canon cameras from personal experience. 
Your post got me thinking, Dup, I actually wouldn't mind getting something similar to what you're describing - these days, an average smartphone camera is at least two times better than my current generation of camera, a Sony that's been everywhere in nature with me. So, I did a couple of searches out of curiousity. Found this page...the Olympus looks interesting, and is in a reasonable price range. 

• Like 1

Can't offer a great deal of help when it comes to normal point & shoot cameras as I'm very much used to DSLR (or in the case with my Sony camera, a DSLT).

Stating the obvious I know, but always do some thorough research - what features do you want, whats important/not important, what you'll be using it for (e.g taking pics at a gig, sporting event etc).

Being biased, I'd always recommend Sony: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/cameras - I have two cameras from them, a DSLR (A330) which was my first (entry level) DSLR and a A65 (DSLT) which I always use now.  Having said that, my mobile is an Xperia Z3 compact and I personally think the camera on that is shite - although that's probably because I'm a lot more use to having better control of the pics I take with my DSLT.

Sony have a very good range of interchangeable lens cameras which aren't DSLR/DSLT although some don't fit into your price range.  This one does however: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-5000-kit but bear in mind, you'll probably able to get it cheaper elsewhere.

Just use this website: http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/ - find a few cameras you like the look of and have a nosey on here to find the best price.

• Like 1

Thanks for your suggestions. Some good things to look at there. I was personally looking at the Canon EOS M10 before i posted this thread, but i think i might look in to see what Sony have to offer after seeing your comments.

canon_eos_m10_black_double_lens.jpg

Also, i want it for outdoor environments, from close up vegetation, architectural and wide landscape shots.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

My sister and my mum both have professional-quality Canons and they are drool-worthy for sure (out of my price range, though). I've used my Sony for lots of nature shots, both close-up views of flowers and critters, and wide landscape shots as well. (pretty sure there are some examples in our photography thread.) I don't have any lenses for it though, wish I had a telephoto for that eagle nest I pass every day, and a macro lens would come in handy too since I like to look up close at flowers, birds and bugs.

Keep us posted once you look around, I'm curious to see what you get! :)

Definitely go the Canon route. For that budget you won't get anything spectacular, but it'll do the job.

I also recommend looking at the Samsung Galaxy cameras as they have an impressive zoom.

I have a Galaxy S7 phone and the camera isn't anywhere near on par with a real camera. 

It's high-res, and takes good point and shoot snaps, but in personal experience, any kind of zoom just makes it grainy and then pixelated in digital zoom. The autofocus is terrible too, it has a hard time finding the right focal plane especially when it's close.

But Samsung make Galaxy standalone cameras too? That sounds interesting. Looking in to it.

I'll update you when i finally decide.

Thanks agaim for your input.

I've been waiting for the sales all this time. I finally snagged myself an EOS M10 with a 15-45mm lens in the boxing day sales for only £200. Super bargain! Might treat myself to another lens!!

• Like 2

How are those newer smaller "point and shoot" lookalike EOS's? I was expecting something much bulkier when I saw EOS but saw it was what I had my eye on for a while.

I have a fujifilm point and shoot, but the battery is fucking dissapointng. It drains 4 AA's so fast, not that I'd get an EOS, I'm probably selling my fujifilm and under going a rapid life change really.

On 1/3/2017 at 1:22 PM, Shogun said:

How are those newer smaller "point and shoot" lookalike EOS's? I was expecting something much bulkier when I saw EOS but saw it was what I had my eye on for a while.

I have a fujifilm point and shoot, but the battery is fucking dissapointng. It drains 4 AA's so fast, not that I'd get an EOS, I'm probably selling my fujifilm and under going a rapid life change really.

A point and shoot will work well if you're just trying to get pictures that you want to take for memory, want decent quality, and don't want to lug around a DSLR. Honestly though, with how cameras are now in phones (like in the 7 Plus) they match point and shoots and sometimes exceed. A DSLR is a whole new range of quality, and given the ability to interchange lenses allows you to get into a whole new world of photography.

Canon is my favorite, all model bodies after the late 80's fit with all lenses from after the same time. I have a Rebel T4i and it still let's me take some nice photos. Lenses are more important in terms of quality. 

I'd look into a T4i, T5i, or T6s. It's worth it in my opinion. You can slap on a prime lens for quick photos while traveling or get a nice telephoto lens to zoom in. You can get basic photos or adjust aperture and iso and all these other settings to get what you like. Not only that, it'll last you years, has better resale value, and imo is always a great hobby to get into. 

If a DSLR isn't your thing though still, then definitely go the Canon route.

I got a camera recently you might like. It is older, I think about 4 years old now but it gets the job done for me. It is the Lumix DMC-FZ200. You can find it quite cheap these days. I got mine for like $320 in  August last year.