Sign in to follow this  
Pothatuu

A History of GTA Fan Speculation

Hi all,

Since there has been little to no info on GTAV since it was announced, the rumour mill has been grinding non-stop in the these forums. I've been following the GTA series for a while now, so I thought I'd share some funny fan speculation about the previous game in the series, just for shits and giggles!

Please feel free to add any rumours you remember hearing/reading to add to the hilarity!

GTA IV

GTAIV was originally theorised to be set in a totally new city (most said London).

Early on, it was said that Niko could climb telegraph poles.

One fan insisted that the game would expand on San Andreas' RPG elements so much that Niko would have to brush his teeth (A fond memory for all)

A LOT of people said that the two DLC packs would include Vice City and San Andreas as new areas.

Vice City Stories

VCS was rumoured to be a sequel to Vice City, set in either 2001 or present day.

Mitch Baker was rumoured to be the main character, as was Leo Teal.

One fan insisted that there was no way that you could play as Vic Vance, since he was dead, nor was he important.

Another rumour suggested that the plot involved Vic and Lance being kicked out of the trailer park, as it was being developed into real estate by Avery Carrington.

Liberty City Stories

It was announced early on that the first PSP title would be set in Liberty City, so that kinda killed the rumour mill a bit.

Of course, fans automatically assumed that you would play as a younger CJ during his time in Liberty City.

Some also assumed that it would be a direct sequel to GTA 3.

Many of course hoped that the tunnel would open up Carcer City.

One rumour (that I stupidly bought into straight away) suggested that the tunnel would be open and would lead to Vice City.

San Andreas

It was originally rumoured to be called GTAIV: Sin City

“Speculation about the next GTA is going strong and of course IGN isn't immune. Their latest "Off the record" column restates a rumor about the next GTA being based in Los Angeles during the LA riots. Personally I think their rumor is more than a little far fetched.”

Many were under the belief that SA would have ragdoll and "impact" physics.

Early magazines suggested that you would loose health and armour in big crashes.

Vice City

It was originally rumoured to be called GTA:Miami and was thought to be an expansion pack for III.

It was later rumoured to be called "GTA: Vice".

GTA IV was rumoured to be the next full GTA game, continuing the story from GTA III. (This turned out to be partially true).

Vice City is not a sequel, nor is it a prequel, and it certainly isn't an addon. It's just another slice of the GTA "universe".

“GTA: Miami will be released for the PS2 this fall. Very little is known at this point, but GTA: Miami is believed to be a GTA3 expansion pack that will continue GTA3's story line.

Many fans insisted that they saw bullet holes in the car windscreen in some trailers.

Tommy was rumoured to have the ability to swim.

It was rumoured that you could be eaten by sharks while swimming.

GTA III

It was rumoured that 3 would be released on Gamecube and Dreamcast.

“GTA3 is set completely in Liberty City, but sectioned off into three parts, Brooklyn/Queens (mostly industrial), Manhattan (mostly commercial), and New Jersey (suburban). You can travel from one section to another via trains, tunnels, bridges, and even ferries. Each of these subsections is broken down into smaller sections with posh areas, run down areas, docks, etc.”
(This is mostly accurate, but doesn't it sound a lot like a newer GTA game?)
“The radio stations will feature news reports to detail your latest criminal activities and may give you clues as to the police presence in the area.”
“Your ex-girlfriend, who was originally mentioned in Game Informer's article, is named Miguel.”

As I said, feel free to contribute what you remember, or dig around and see if you can find something funny!