Sign in to follow this  
Samurai_tbag

Any UK Solicitors or para-legals here?

Basically we paid an estate agent one weeks rent (£620) to take the property off the market. Nothing was signed, and the agent didn't mention that the agreed payment would be non-refundable. He has now changed his mind about that. I'm wondering how to go about challenging him legally, because I'm 99% sure he can't do that without us signing something.

Guest Marney-1

Basically we paid an estate agent one weeks rent (£620) to take the property off the market. Nothing was signed, and the agent didn't mention that the agreed payment would be non-refundable. He has now changed his mind about that. I'm wondering how to go about challenging him legally, because I'm 99% sure he can't do that without us signing something.

Who owns the property?

Who owns the property?

]

It's owned by a private landlord, so not the estate agency themselves.

Guest Marney-1

Who owns the property?

]

So why are you paying rent to the estate agent? Is this estate agent Nigerian?

• Like 1

Who owns the property?

]

It's part of the deposit. When you rent a property you pay 6 weeks rent as a deposit, normally you pay one weeks rent to take it off the market while you get the paperwork done, etc..

Guest Marney-1

Who owns the property?

]

It's part of the deposit. When you rent a property you pay 6 weeks rent as a deposit, normally you pay one weeks rent to take it off the market while you get the paperwork done, etc..

Sounds like you're going through a letting agency to me. You'd save yourself £62 a week by paying the landlord directly. Anyway, I don't get why you want the property taken off the market, are they trying to sell it?

He wanted to secure the apparentment so he could rent it.

Sounds like you got scammed. If he didnt render any services hes not entitled to payment. I would contact the police instead of hustling a gta forum.

Never, ever hand over money over to anyone without getting a receipt.

Oh I've got a receipt, and the name of the estate agents. Thats the thing, I could ring the police, but they'd probably just tell me it's a civil case (which I believe it is).

I would tell them that the guy took my money, told me he was going to reserve my apartment, didnt do it, and now i cant get in touch with him.

Taking money under false pretenses is a crime in the us...

Guest Marney-1

Oh I've got a receipt, and the name of the estate agents. Thats the thing, I could ring the police, but they'd probably just tell me it's a civil case (which I believe it is).

It's only non-refundable if YOU decide not to go ahead with taking possession of the property. If the landlord decides not to rent the property to you then you are entitled to a refund in full.

EDIT: From how you've explained the situation it looks as though the letting agent might be a bit dodgy, not saying they are but if I were you I'd read this and this, if you have any more questions ask the person who took your money to explain in clear terms how it works. If you're still unsure then contact consumer rights...or something.

Edited by Marney-1

It's only non-refundable if YOU decide not to go ahead with taking possession of the property. If the landlord decides not to rent the property to you then you are entitled to a refund in full.

That would be the case if the estate agent had specifically said so, however he did in fact say the opposite - that it was refundable.

Guest Marney-1

@Teabag I edited my post above.

Hang on a sec. After reading this again I don't see where there's a problem at all.

Do you want him to keep the deposit?

Edited by Marney-1

@Teabag I edited my post above.

Hang on a sec. After reading this again I don't see where there's a problem at all.

Do you want him to keep the deposit?

Sorry I mistyped that. Originally, he said it would be refundable. My bad.

Guest Marney-1

Aah, so now he's saying it's not refundable? I'm no expert on the legal side of things in this situation but I do rent two properties and know enough to say something doesn't seem right. Those two links I posted are where you should start first in my opinion. Hope you haven't been had mate.

Aah, so now he's saying it's not refundable? I'm no expert on the legal side of things in this situation but I do rent two properties and know enough to say something doesn't seem right. Those two links I posted are where you should start first in my opinion. Hope you haven't been had mate.

Yea that's correct. Ok cheers mate, I'll check them out! Yea I hope not, there's a lot of sharks in London hah.