Edgecrusher

Show Us Your Setup/Specs

I have a big roll of those in a box in my attic I got years back, looks to be about $300 worth of gear but the solder joints are all fucked up or something, probably just need reflowing but I dont have my antex tip, leaded solder or even the fumes mask anymore.

The new ones don't require soldiering....

I have a big roll of those in a box in my attic I got years back, looks to be about $300 worth of gear but the solder joints are all fucked up or something, probably just need reflowing but I dont have my antex tip, leaded solder or even the fumes mask anymore.

The new ones don't require soldiering....

sPHjW6j.png

I would check to make sure they arent cut in the wrong place.

You can only cut them in certain places, and some people dont pay attention, you can just recut them to remoe the bad spot..

Also, positive and negative matter, it wont work reversed...

I'm looking out of pure curiosity, I don't plan on buying it any time soon, maybe in two or so years, but I've been looking around anyway. I also thought 8GB would be good.

I'm looking out of pure curiosity, I don't plan on buying it any time soon, maybe in two or so years, but I've been looking around anyway. I also thought 8GB would be good.

50 bucks in ram is a two year decision for you?

Also, you could probably by a whole computer two years from now for $50 that will be faster than your air, with the memory....

Gigabyte are what I use. They're the most solid motherboards I've ever owned.

As a list of what to avoid:

Foxconn: Cheaply made, stupid limits on RAM (my old one couldn't handle over 3gbs despite having two slots)

Abit: Randomly stop POSTing. There's a pretty popular meme on hardware forums called "make like an Abit motherboard, and stop posting"

Biostar: these use the absolute worst capacitors in existance. My cousin dropped off a small departments computers from where he works (7 computers approx). All custom built, different motherboards as they were built at different times as the department expanded and all of them had bulging capacitors.

Low end MSI is also complete and utter shit. If it's on the logical increments website though it isn't going to be low end garbage so go ahead and buy it.

Speaking of msi being shit....

My motherboard crapped how (bios issue i think) so i ended up getting a gigabyte...

Msi boards have no diagnostic lights or horns... The gigabyte i got has an lcd code read out and two bios's... And an extra pci 3 slot, though i doubt ill ever use it...

No it's not a two year decision, I'm just looking for price estimates. If I wind up buying one sooner so be it.

50 bucks in ram is a two year decision for you?

Also, you could probably by a whole computer two years from now for $50 that will be faster than your air, with the memory....

Gigabyte are what I use. They're the most solid motherboards I've ever owned.

As a list of what to avoid:

Foxconn: Cheaply made, stupid limits on RAM (my old one couldn't handle over 3gbs despite having two slots)

Abit: Randomly stop POSTing. There's a pretty popular meme on hardware forums called "make like an Abit motherboard, and stop posting"

Biostar: these use the absolute worst capacitors in existance. My cousin dropped off a small departments computers from where he works (7 computers approx). All custom built, different motherboards as they were built at different times as the department expanded and all of them had bulging capacitors.

Low end MSI is also complete and utter shit. If it's on the logical increments website though it isn't going to be low end garbage so go ahead and buy it.

Speaking of msi being shit....

My motherboard crapped how (bios issue i think) so i ended up getting a gigabyte...

Msi boards have no diagnostic lights or horns... The gigabyte i got has an lcd code read out and two bios's... And an extra pci 3 slot, though i doubt ill ever use it...

Well since I posted that I now work in a helpdesk position.

We ALWAYS go for Gigabyte on any new build [and generally for replacing dead motherboards if its new enough]. They aren't GAYMING EDITION 9 BILLION PCI SLOTS motherboards that we buy, so obviously there might be some kind of bottleneck in gaming but we dont do that and you won't find any close in terms of reliability.

We buy middle tier atx, so roughly £60 or so and the entire thing has solid state capacitors instead of cheapo electrolytics.

I'll add Asus middle to low tier to the list of "do not buy". Those are dropping like flies.

Don't even bother with a mac. What makes you need OS X so bad?

Buy business class thinkpads, now that shit is sexy

GTA SA Is actually a fairly decent port. It's only after that Rockstar went into the toilet.

At a guess its some kind of compatibility issue rather than poor performance and the game flat out wont work, in that case I'd suggest getting the Steam version because that version DEFINITELY runs on Windows 8. Try first right clicking GTA_SA.exe and finding compatibility mode and changing that to XP.

Why won't my $1300 Windows 8 gaming beast run GTA SA?

Because you're not intelligent enough to try and run t in compatibility mode Windows XP?

If it's already installed right click > Properties > Compatibility.

If it's not installed just follow what Cyantist said, Newer OS sometimes require older software to be ran in compatibility mode.

GTA SA Is actually a fairly decent port. It's only after that Rockstar went into the toilet.

At a guess its some kind of compatibility issue rather than poor performance and the game flat out wont work, in that case I'd suggest getting the Steam version because that version DEFINITELY runs on Windows 8. Try first right clicking GTA_SA.exe and finding compatibility mode and changing that to XP.

Half the PC board in the old forums couldn't run the fucking game.

Half the PC board in the old forums couldn't run the fucking game.

It ran nicely on my old laptop and that was a POS [all pre-patch btw]. I cant imagine how chit your PC's must have been