Sign in to follow this  
Samurai_tbag

Any market traders?

So I'm thinking about putting a bit of money on the stock market today. (around £300/£400).

I've been tipped for two things:

Thomas Cook: 20p a share today, were £2.10 earlier in the year, just received big bailout and slated to increase in value.

Take Two: around $14 a share, typically they reach double that each time a GTA is released, so its a certain 'double your money' situation.

Anyone else got any experience/tips?

Guest Marney1

I've been thinking about it recently but decided buying gold is the better option. I'd recommend gold over stocks and shares.

I've been thinking about it recently but decided buying gold is the better option. I'd recommend gold over stocks and shares.

You'd need a hugeeee startup fund to make any serious money out of gold though.

I've also heard the rare-earths are a smart investment.

Guest Marney1

You'd need a hugeeee startup fund to make any serious money out of gold though.

I've also heard the rare-earths are a smart investment.

Just buy an ounce of gold now and again, it soon builds up, I think it's the only guaranteed way to make interest atm.

if i bought gold, i wouldn't be trying to make money off it... i would plan on holding on to it for when the world's economy collapses and the paper money in your bank doesn't exist... gold will still be the world currency... too bad the price of gold and silver has skyrocketed lately...

Guest Marney1

if i bought gold, i wouldn't be trying to make money off it... i would plan on holding on to it for when the world's economy collapses and the paper money in your bank doesn't exist... gold will still be the world currency... too bad the price of gold and silver has skyrocketed lately...

That's all it's for really, future security, buy it and forget about it until you're on your arse.

If the money in my bank ceased to exist, so would your gold, unless of course you have the actual gold under your bed (i.e. not in a bank).

But yea, I'm looking to make money rather than save it, hence taking the gamble.

Guest Marney1

If the money in my bank ceased to exist, so would your gold, unless of course you have the actual gold under your bed (i.e. not in a bank).

But yea, I'm looking to make money rather than save it, hence taking the gamble.

The idea of gold is so that you can physically hold it. Not a chance in hell I'd trust a bank to mind my gold.

• Like 1

If you're only investing a small amount of money, maybe you should try your hand at CFD trading. High risk, high return and short term. You can only lose as much as you invest and no more, if you become skilled at it, you can make a lot of money on the current volatile market. Otherwise I would invest in Take2, thats an almost guarantee. But you can make a way lot more money on CFD trading.

Yeah I work on the fruit and veg stall. Bananas, paaahnd a kilo! apples, five for a paaaaaahnd! Awwite guv, what you 'avin'? I got a crate of plums 'ere for ten bob.

I'm surprised no one has gone the comedy route (yet again) and left me to make the funny post.

Come prospecting with me, I know a few good spots.

Guest Marney1

Come prospecting with me, I know a few good spots.

bOnEs already has the prospecting gear from Halloween.

OP's "tips" aren't really tips. That info is out in the open so tons of people jump on it. Plus there's no guarantee you'll make out in the end. You'll go to sell high and in a split second you'll be losing money.

Yea, 'tips' probably isn't the right word.

Legal stock market information is always in the open, and people jumping on it is how you make money, better still when corporations and banks jump on it. For example, a company like Thompson may consider buying shares in Thomas Cook while they're dirt cheap, as soon as that happens, share prices will rocket. Hypothetically, if I already have £200 worth (1000 shares) bought at 20p a piece, and another company invested a couple hundred thousand in their shares, their value would probably triple, or even quadruple as people see the likely hood of a revival. Limited risk, losing £200 is not such a big deal, potential to double, triple or quadruple your investment within the next year or two.

Obviously there's no guarantee, that's the whole point of trading, but the TTWO shares won't fluctuate that much (I predict, based on previous records and market factors), so they're the safe bet, while the TCG shares would be the gamble. In any event, the likelihood is, I wouldn't lose money, even if I lost my TCG investment, as TTWO will cover my loss.

Just sayin', as you're all GTA fans here, its a worthy risk to take for the sake of a couple hundred pounds.