Sign in to follow this  
marneyknuckle

speedometer or no speedometer?

Would you like to have a speedometer in gta5 or not?

I hate how you never really know how fast your going and its such an easy thing to implement.

That's always bugged me maybe r* will add it this time around?

Yeah that's always annoyed me as well. Hopefully they'll add it as an option so those who don't want it on their HUD while they're driving can turn off.

I'd probably have it off most of the time as well, it'd just be convenient to compare top speeds on a freeway.

You know, it sounds stupid to have one but, considering the sandbox aspect of GTA, where being a car person it would matter like top speed. I love driving and speeding on the freeways and I am curious sometimes what the top speed is. It didnt use to matter before but I say yes to the speedometer...The Beast Has Spoken..................!

I never really cared about what speed I was going. As far as driving and making turns you get used to what speed you're going and how much to brake. The ^car fanboys^ are the only ones I think will benefit from seeing the speed. :P

Whether Rockstar will put speedometers in the game is up in the air to me but I'm leaning more towards "no". I think they try to keep the HUD as simple and out-of-sight as possible. Less obstructions or annoyances to our view and the speedometer isn't important. They could add one around the radar/mini-map. That's what I can think of at the moment. Or give us a decent first person view inside the car so we can see the car's actual speedometer.

Well that is a good point. It would get in the way and imo speedometers suck in 3rd person view. I only like sp.edometers in-car view . I really would like to see how fast my fav ride could go or which one had the fastest 0-60

It would be good occasionally, but not all the time.

Adding a speedometer would indirectly give GTA a scale. Which I don't believe they've ever done, or plan on doing. For example, if you're doing 360 km per hour (= 0.1 km per second), and it takes you 10 seconds to cross a bridge. The bridge would equate to 1 km, and you could use that to scale the entire map and calculate distances. Then everything would have to be relative (and probably realistic) of these measurements, including the speed of planes, running, boats etc. I don't think I can see that happening.

I hope they include a really, really, really long straight so we can just test how fast we can go. That would be epic, especially crashing after driving 100mph

i dont see a need for it in gta.. driver san fran doesnt work the flow of traffic is usually doing 70 through town if there was no spedo i wouldnt care as the flow of traffic feels fine.. but when it says 70mph its just highly unrealistic..

I'm not really such a speedy car fan, I usually prefer to drive the Hummer (or city bus) on the wrong side of the road to any destination.

But a speedometer would be a good addition. I don't see the problem in people calculating distances and scales, most people can estimate a distance anyway.

Guest Marney1

Speedometer is a fantastic idea, I think there should be odometer's too. Maybe fuel gauges, temperature gauges (inside and outside), warning lights to tell you you haven't got your seatbelt on, warning lights and bleeping sounds to tell you your door isn't shut properly, interior light switch, heated seats, heated steering wheel and you should be able to open and shut the air vents.

Changed my mind, I couldn't care less if they added a speedo.

Speedometer is a fantastic idea, I think there should be odometer's too. Maybe fuel gauges, temperature gauges (inside and outside), warning lights to tell you you haven't got your seatbelt on, warning lights and bleeping sounds to tell you your door isn't shut properly, interior light switch, heated seats, heated steering wheel and you should be able to open and shut the air vents.

Problem is when the speedometer is in play It tells me how fast I am NOT going. I don't want to steel a hooptie and know that i'm topping out at 69mph when there is still room left on the speedometer. Also Marney there was a beeping in certain cars when the door remained open, It's really faint though.

id love a speedometer its so annoying how its such an easy asset to put in. I think if they do put it in it should be toggled via settings.

PS does anyone know if rockstar people actually read this.

You forgot engine status lights, so you know when to get the oil changed... 3 months goes by fast in GTA time.

Speedometers should be optional, sometimes it's just fun to get to max speed and see how fast you're going. But cars shouldn't be too realistic, it would suck if you got pulled over for reckless driving, speeding, parking in front of a fire hydrant and all that shit. Especially having to fuel your car, that would just be so shitty.

Adding a speedometer would indirectly give GTA a scale. Which I don't believe they've ever done, or plan on doing. For example, if you're doing 360 km per hour (= 0.1 km per second), and it takes you 10 seconds to cross a bridge. The bridge would equate to 1 km, and you could use that to scale the entire map and calculate distances. Then everything would have to be relative (and probably realistic) of these measurements, including the speed of planes, running, boats etc. I don't think I can see that happening.

yeah but on the other hand, they include all kind of (more or less usefull stats; your choice) incl distances travelled on foot, car, bike, plane, helicopter, public transport, wheelchairs, flying rainbowshitting antelopes, blabla

fair enough a method to scale the games' world with imho.

for me, I always refer to the system in mafia 2. once in a vehicle, a small speedometer + circular fuel gauge pops out the radar. Of course this strongly suggests some sort of speed limits and enforcement of it aswell, because why care about having a speedometer if it doesn't matter what it's showing?

I don't mind if they won't include it, but surely welcome something like this, as long as it's not overloaded ( and - staying in line with the combination I just mentioned - would be balanced. Blasting thru LA at top speed (I know it doesnt work) will surely drain your gas tank, if the same happens in LS I feel like we would spent more time lifting fuel than anything else)

Also I feel like there will be much disappointment. Just think of awesome cars like the Infernus or any other sports exotic in the game and then do a quick doublecheck for topspeed in the handling file...

Guest Marney1

id love a speedometer its so annoying how its such an easy asset to put in. I think if they do put it in it should be toggled via settings.

PS does anyone know if rockstar people actually read this.

Yes, Rockstar/Take-Two and R* dev's read the forums.