liquidhalogen

What does "the largest and most ambitious" mean?

What do you guys think they mean when they say "the largest and the most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created", and "radical reinvention of the Grand Theft Auto universe"?

I think it can either mean:

A. It will feature previous gta principles but on a much greater scale

and/or

B. It will fundamentally change how gta works, altering previous foundational principals the game has been based on.

Of course I can't know what they mean by that, but to me when they say these things I like to use my imagination and wet dream about what would make me agree with them having looked at their product. Some things that come to my mind (but aren't a necessity) that would satisfy these claims by the developers are listed below starting with "the largest and the most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created"

(list is not all or nothing, it is and/or)

-a larger map then any rockstar game. That means it would have to be bigger then Red Dead. Even if it is just LA county, here the truth, LA county is like a mini country. Check this out - http://ceo.lacounty.gov/forms/09-10%20cities%20alpha.pdf it's a list of all the cities in it. They include such hotspots and personable cities as Malibu, Glendale, Burbank, Pasadena, Redondo beach, Santa monica, etc...

-An amount of enterable buildings vastly bigger than before. Bordering on a radical reinvention of the genre by having a lot of the game be in-doors. What if every shop could be walked into, that would be a radical reinvention in my mind for sure...

-A completely fresh idea to cars, creating a much different approach. Think about it, cars are the absolute core of this game, the way gta treats them now is more or less that no car is gonna last you more than half a minute on average. What if they changed that to make a car much more personal to you? Make it easier to hold on to it for longer? A bigger emotional attachment to the car. A deeper level of interaction such as an in-car camera. customization, saving the car for as long as you want anywhere. Being able to buy cars are just some of the ideas that come to mind.

- Vehicles that have never been featured or even closely used in previous games. Military equipment, submarines, huge boats, cruisers, yachts, fucking I dont even know lol...spaceships...

what about "radical reinvention of the Grand Theft Auto universe"

- Redefined npcs. What if every character had a job? Even if it is a loose concept, that would still be dramatic. Every person went to work during the day in a certain place, parked their car in a certain place, went on vacation on certain times, went to the pub, at certain times, had a family,

- A different approach to guns. Thinking MGS customization options,

-stealth being way more prominent?

-creating your own missions? You being the boss? What if you could yourself stage a very elaborate robbery, heist, bank job, theft, ponzie scheme?

-What if they created a new engine for pedestrian behavior? What if every pedestrian had a different level of happiness that would affect how they drove, how the talked and dressed, what they did, how loud they would play music in their cars, how close they were to snapping, committing suicide, goign on a shooting spree, hanging out with friends, buying a new car, etc...

- What if the city was constantly changing? new buildings and shops? different neighborhoods going into poverty or going into wealth throughout the game? After all that is truly happening now in LA, just look at the downtown which used to be a total ghetto, now is one of the banking centers of at least the US, it is also a culture center of LA. All within less than two decades...

- Multiple playable characters? To me that was shown beyond a doubt in the trailer with us not being able to ascertain who the main character was judging from it. When have we ever been in doubt in the previous games trailers?

what do these statements mean to you?

Gonna go for the cheap shot here

larg·er, larg·est

Of greater than average size, extent, quantity, or amount; big.
Of greater than average scope, breadth, or capacity; comprehensive.
Important; significant

am·bi·tious

adj.
Full of, characterized by, or motivated by ambition.
Greatly desirous; eager
Requiring or showing much effort; challenging

Seriously I dont think they mean in terms of scale of the map I just think they mean its going to push the boundaries of the tech and what you can do within the world
Edited by XBOXEDDY

Guest Marney1

To me it simply means they're making what they think is the best GTA so far.

• Like 1

Guest Marney1

so when you hear 'radical reinvention", nothing comes to mind?

Nothing has to come to mind except common sense. I don't even think it's worthy of a discussion.

• Like 1

Well, when they made GTA4, they had to build the entire game from scratch. GTA4 wasn't the first game built on the RAGE engine, but it was one of the first. It was the first GTA built on the RAGE engine, for sure.

Anyway, by now they've built a few other games with it, like Red Dead Redemption, Midnight Club: Los Angeles (*cough*cough*) :), they're designing Max Payne 3 with it... so they have a lot more experience working with it/building games with it. Another thing that is interesting is they also just released LA Noire, which is of course based in Los Angeles. I don't think they'd just take that city, modernize it and call that Los Santos (and the trailer doesn't indicate that, either) but the point I am trying to make is that, with the other LA games especially that were released recently, I would think it would somehow shorten the work they would have to do for GTA5... whether they just reuse old models, take certain sections of the city, modernize them, basically taking advantage of the work they've already done.

If so, this is an entirely good thing. Why? Because the less work they have to do actually building the city, the more work they can spend on actually designing activities for the city and making sure that the gameplay is all that it could be.

I think they recognize GTA: SA's strengths and weaknesses, and GTA4's strengths and weaknesses, and I think the November 2nd trailer is their artistic-as-hell way of telling everyone that the game WE were waiting for is coming soon.

Makes me wanna go watch the trailer again ;)

I guess a lot of people are taking "largest" to mean the size of the map, but the first thing that comes to my mind is the story and characters. As for "ambitious", it sounds like they're trying out a lot of new things with the game, or a "radical reinvention".

Guest Marney1

Ok, to me Radical reinvention means its going to be extremely different. I was just wondering what sort of ways you think they can make the new game totally unique from the rest?

They can't.

It already is different,why fix something that ain't broke! This is all speculation and from a previous point u made I thought u were against that? I will speculate but not to then be shot down by you @liquidhalogen

It already is different,why fix something that ain't broke! This is all speculation and from a previous point u made I thought u were against that? I will speculate but not to then be shot down by you @liquidhalogen

This IS all speculation. what point are you referring to?

Ing eIt means it better have everything from San Andreas and more. 4 was a big graphical improvement but SA beat it on almost everything else. 4 was a huge step backwards. Sequels should add more elements not take them out. 4 is basically GTA3 with pretty graphics, motorcycles & helicoptors. San Andreas > Gta IV on all aspects except graphics & shooting/cover system. GTA V has a shit ton to prove and it better be at least as good as SA or I will be unsatisfied

Duff beat me to the punch. It's marketing. Rockstar love to throw around phrases like that... Hell, their emailing list title is "ROCKSTAR PROPAGANDA". It's just how they compose themselves.

Look at the trailer. There are new elements, but it's not a 'radical reinvention'. That's what I speculate, at least.

Also - Wu Zi Mu.. Stick around. (Y)

I think it's filled with the most content out of any GTA so far, that's my interpretation. A lot of content = a lot of space... So maybe it means biggest/large map? Idk, but you know, everyone loves to overanalyse everything.