Sign in to follow this  
MrSquare

Photoshop Question!

Right peoples,

I've been asked to design an advert at a size of 62mm x 91mm (height x width) at 300DPI, but when I design it at this DPI the size increases massively??

If anyone could point me in the right direction, it'd be a mahoosive help.

Actually, 300 dpi is where it's at for print, 72 is mostly Web, all you'll be able to print out of that is plastic fingernail patterns.

Yeah 72 is exactly what you see is what you get for screen based design. 600 pixel x 600 pixel image at 300DPI, will output at 2 inches square.

It really depends on how he's printing it. With a home printer you will get away with 150dpi for that image size easily (if he's doing multiple pages). If its going to a professional printer and they are using a lytho it's going to need to be 300DPI, if its for a screenprinter you can go down around 100-150 aswell.

It's best to make it 300dpi and then downsize it in the DTP software, as opposed to upsizing it and sacrificing image quality.

...62mm x 91mm ... 300DPI, ...

Mixing units of measurement could be part of your issue.

I'm not sure in what way the "size increases massively" for you, but the more pixels you cram into a mm or inch, the larger it is going to look on your screen.

icon11.gif

I bet he started in 72 and resampled it to be 300 dpi. This would explain the size of the image getting bigger and looking like crap

• Image Resizing: Changing the size the image will print without changing the number of pixels in the image.
  • Image Resampling: Changing the number of pixels in the image.

to get from 72 dpi to 300, photoshop resamples and it basically adds in pixels to get there. It guesses where what pixels to add in laymen's terms and it doesn't always look the best.

When designing for print you have to make sure your images you are using are 300 dpi. If an image is really big like 10000 pixels when you only need it to be 500 but its only 72 dpi. If you can turn up the dpi and the dimensions of the image will get smaller but its ok because the image will still be big enough to fit the 500px. but if you want an image that is small and try and bring the dpi up, it will look exploded and shitty.

I think you might have to start over and redesign the ad starting in 300 dpi.

be sure ur in cmyk too. I've fucked that up before.