Sign in to follow this  
NicodemoB

Why not London?

Is Rockstar every going to be willing to go outside of the U.S. again with the GTA franchise?

Dan and Sam Houser grew up in London and they're the creative backbone of the series. Look how well they've managed to translate the world of American organized crime(or Hollywood's version of it, anyway) into a gaming experience--why not their own backyard?

I spent nearly a year in London in 2005 and I would say they could explore the same themes, like the excesses of capitalism, greed, etc. etc. that the whole franchise satires.

Probably won't happen, but there's always hope, right? :no:

Looking forward with the GTA series, would you want to do another international edition? You’ve been in America since GTA III.

We go backwards and forwards on it. There are very interesting crime stories and other stories you can tell about anyplace in the world. Whether that would work with Grand Theft Auto — when so much about Grand Theft Auto is about the Americana, about the American media — is something I’m not sure about.

http://www.igrandtheftauto.com/news/gtaiii/588/entertainment-weekly-talks-with-dan-houser/

Looking forward with the GTA series, would you want to do another international edition? You’ve been in America since GTA III.

We go backwards and forwards on it. There are very interesting crime stories and other stories you can tell about anyplace in the world. Whether that would work with Grand Theft Auto — when so much about Grand Theft Auto is about the Americana, about the American media — is something I’m not sure about.

http://www.igrandthe...ith-dan-houser/

Thanks for that. I don't really buy it though. The perils of Capitalism, which is a huge theme in GTA, can be found in just about every big city in the western world. And if not now, soon. We're coming for you!

I wouldn't mind seeing it but I doubt it would happen, don't think anyone would want to research a cold shitty country like this, when they could go somewhere hot to research for the game.

Maybe one day (in like 10 years ;D), when GTA seriously evolves and we all have super-mega hardware, they can put more then 1 city/country.

For example: The main setting be USA, but we will have to travel to London (or somewhere else) to do a few missions and stuff. But it won't be like going to LC in GTA SA, but it would be a real city which we could freeroam when ever we wanted to, etc.

Fuck London. Flat, boring, gay compact eurobox cars. Skinny ass streets, the weather is SHIT. Clouds everyday, rain, no sunshinee. The Getaway SUCKED

Doesn't sound like the london I know. Yes the weather can be shit over here, but when it's hot it's hot.

Flat? Skinny ass streets? I'd say there was a variety of both. Especially outer London. Hmm...

Let's face it - Not many people want to play in London.

I'm from London and i'd rather not play London. Its sort of a blank template city. London could be New York, it could be Paris, it could be anywhere really. Theres nothing particularly special about it, its got a few land marks that could translate but America is all about big and bold. Its why it works so well in video games. Diverse, theres stereotypes to play off off, racial tensions etc.

Fuck London.... The Getaway SUCKED

Not so much the location, it just wasnt a great game. Tried to make it seem "realistic" with lack of hud, strange controls (including ones to opperate the car indicators (wtf)) Just wasnt a great game. By great game i mean enjoyability.

doing the game in the US works. why would they change it? too much of a risk tbh, devise a great formula and stick to it, job done.

Anyways, the getaway has already done it (sort of)

if the game was in london your only weapon would be a bb gun and chavs would mug you all the time

Unless you played as the chav, and you mug people with a knife, deodorant and a lighter. :v

• Like 1

I agree though with one of the posts above, in another 5 years or so hardware will hopefully be powerful enough to handle multiple cities, and then we should be able to fly to London, and free roam there, but let's face it - The US is so much better in terms of GTA.

Maybe not London, but a GTA parody since London wouldn't be able to be in the "GTA universe" of false states/cities. How awesome would it be to fly from Los Santos to Liberty City, stay for a week, then to Vice City and stay for a week and maybe even CARCER city! All the cities in the Rockstar universe.

Fuck London. Flat, boring, gay compact eurobox cars. Skinny ass streets, the weather is SHIT. Clouds everyday, rain, no sunshinee. The Getaway SUCKED

So you're saying we get no sunshine whatsoever? Are you kidding me? We're lucky in Essex (just outside of London) to get one day's worth of rain in a week. Even in November there's not that much rain. You've been brainwashed by all the stereotypical propaganda, go eat a burger. However, the rest I will agree with you, not a good place to be setting GTA.

I agree though with one of the posts above, in another 5 years or so hardware will hopefully be powerful enough to handle multiple cities, and then we should be able to fly to London, and free roam there, but let's face it - The US is so much better in terms of GTA.

I don't know why you think this will happen. PC and both decent consoles have hard drives large enough to cope with multiple cities, but they won't do it because it takes more time and money to make and they'll still only charge $60 for it. They also aren't going to chuck all the eggs in one basket and leave themselves with nothing to do for the next game.

Guest Marney1

So you're saying we get no sunshine whatsoever? Are you kidding me? We're lucky in Essex (just outside of London) to get one day's worth of rain in a week. Even in November there's not that much rain. You've been brainwashed by all the stereotypical propaganda, go eat a burger. However, the rest I will agree with you, not a good place to be setting GTA.

The 'just outside of London' bit wasn't necessary Vicey, all yanks think everyone in the UK lives 'just outside of London'. The streets/roads just seem skinny to them because they're all fat.

I wouldn't mind seeing GTA set in an English county someday, even if it is just so I can drive on the correct side of the road in a proper car. I always prefer the compact cars in GTA IV anyway, the big ones are spazzy just like their real-life counterparts.

Give me a Fiesta any day.

But London as a setting would be too much like the Liberty City we know now with it's corporate buildings, docks and................and? And not much else.

The 'just outside of London' bit wasn't necessary Vicey, all yanks think everyone in the UK lives 'just outside of London'.

Of course, Liverpool is just outside of London, isn't it?

The 'just outside of London' bit wasn't necessary Vicey, all yanks think everyone in the UK lives 'just outside of London'.

Now that would make a good game haha GTA Scouse City haha

Yeah your right about cars! Anyway there is gta london in 2D

Dixons robbery for a flat screen, hold up for a pack of wine gums from the local 99p store, and JJB's finest range of Lonsdale tracksuits.

"Ar'raite ar'raite chhh'yaaaaam down orrailgivyeragoodkechken."

Translated for those of American intent: "Alright alright calm down or i'll give you a good kicking!"

Guest Marney1

Kind of, according to Fox News once it was 'east of London'. *facepalm*

I think it's because people, mostly foreigners, think America's this big wondrous place where anything's possible. Grass is always greener on the other side and all that. Especially with the Brits. I think that's why there's so many of them in Florida, LOL.

The reality is that America is just as interesting and uninteresting as any other country. Our crime rate is going down and we're becoming that most dreadful of things: boring. Which is to say that GTA is in an alternate universe of over-the-top stereotypes and exaggerations. So why can't that world be translated to London?

If you want to know the truth, I really, REALLY, want to gun down some chavs with an anti-tank rifle in a legal and safe environment like a video game. From 6 feet away.