SA: 14

GTA IV: 6

RDR: "5.5"

= Over 20, unless they have an area the size of RDR as the underwater environment.

And even if they do include the area off the coast, it's still part of the playable map since you can now go underwater, so it's essentially the same thing as adding mountains, forests and other above-ground terrain.

= Over 20, unless they have an area the size of RDR as the underwater environment.

And even if they do include the area off the coast, it's still part of the playable map since you can now go underwater, so it's essentially the same thing as adding mountains, forests and other above-ground terrain.

I can't wait to see what they put underwater.

I hope there's Shipwrecks with Skeletons and Treasure, Underwater Caves with monsters like in the Movie 'The Descent', Complex Coral Reefs with Massive Ecosystems of Marine Animals, with different animals along the food chain eating each other. I hope there are Deep-Sea Trenches with god knows what in them ( Maybe Gigantic Octopuses or some kind of other Creatures, or remnants of an Ancient Civilization ~ Atlantis ). I hope the Police or National Gaurd have armed submarines, for underwater battles, and perhaps depth charges and torpedos able to be launched from the Patrol Boats. But most of all there needs to be some Giant-Ass Sharks in the deep water, Sharks so big they would put JAWS to shame. :D

I can't wait to see what they put underwater.

I hope there's Shipwrecks with Skeletons and Treasure, Underwater Caves with monsters like in the Movie 'The Descent', Complex Coral Reefs with Massive Ecosystems of Marine Animals, with different animals along the food chain eating each other. I hope there are Deep-Sea Trenches with god knows what in them ( Maybe Giant Underwater Monsters, or remnants of an Ancient Civilization ~ Atlantis ). I hope the Police or National Gaurd have armed submarines, for underwater battles, and perhaps depth charges and torpedos able to be launched from the Patrol Boats. But most of all there needs to be some Giant-Ass Sharks in the deep water, Sharks so big they would put JAWS to shame. :D

this under water comment is probably why the release date is September and the reason for more polish plus it got me thinking about what the map is going to be like.

If the map is an island again and they detail a strip of ocean floor around it, then the underwater area could be the size of RDR.

D7Lkire.jpg

Also, since they're including topography in their larger size comparison, you have to take into account the mountains. If there are more mountains in GTA V and they're higher than in SA and RDR, that would shrink the 2 dimensional map even more. Plus, there's this quote from Game Informer:

the underwater has had the same attention as above land with rocky canyons, deep ravines

They're probably including all of those elevation changes in their measurements. They're not just measuring flat space.

They aren't including elevation changes, and they aren't including the ocean floor.

Then explain this -

Rockstar says the map is 3.5 times bigger than Red Dead Redemption -- 5 times bigger if you include topography, as representatives kept talking about be depths of the ocean.

Look at your estimation, Pud. a 6 mile ocean floor surrounding a 25+ map isn't going to be very deep (In terms of distance). No matter how they shape the map: If they try to surround the whole thing with a detailed ocean floor It'll be just slightly larger than the rivers in LC. Plus, what happens when you reach the end of the "detailed" ocean floor? More... nothing? Because you'd have to count that too.

(Unless R* has like a under water cliff that you can like fall off and then the decent never stops, it just gets darker and darker and darker and darker and darker and darker and darker and darker and darker and the sea creatures are even more viciouser and then the water pressure rises really high is you got to far and then you die. :mellow: )

Rockstar says the map is 3.5 times bigger than Red Dead Redemption -- 5 times bigger if you include topography, as representatives kept talking about be depths of the ocean.

RDR=5.5sqmi

A(GTAV, no topo)=3.5*5.5sqmi=19.25sqmi

A(GTAV w/ topography)=5*5.5sqmi=27.5sqmi

8.25sqmi of underwater to fuck around in. Neat. :mellow:

The detailed ocean floor might extend far in some areas and less in others. When you get past the detailed sea floor, it might just be a featureless sandy bottom.

Reading that size quote, I'm not expecting the land area of GTA V to be any larger than 20 square miles (3.5 times RDR). I'd like it to be bigger, but I don't have any reason to believe that it is.

rdrs map will be the desert area on the map iv's will be the city area on the map and SA's map will be the one that ties it all together aaaa i can see it now...

what do i see, i see land and water and a great big city.

this is the best way that i could describe what i saw.

(Unless R* has like a under water cliff that you can like fall off and then the decent never stops, it just gets darker and darker and darker and darker and darker and darker and darker and darker and darker and the sea creatures are even more viciouser and then the water pressure rises really high is you got to far and then you die. :mellow: )

Would be nice.

2i0yro2.gif

• Like 1

Would be nice.

2i0yro2.gif

it would be cool with submarines, you go too deep, and the pressure is too much, then bam... implosion.

• Like 1

Would be nice.

2i0yro2.gif

it would be cool with submarines, you go too deep, and the pressure is too much, then bam... implosion.

Does the San Andreas fault-line continue into the sea, off the coast of Northern California? Or is that trench something entirely different? That would make a decent sized trench if they wanted to include one...

1n5SBdV.jpg

dupzor were did you get that map at the water looks like blue paint thrown against a wall.

dupzor were did you get that map at the water looks like blue paint thrown against a wall.

The Black Spots in the Ocean kind of look like meteorite impacts, or could possibly just be natural formations of the land caused by erosion or tectonic movement.

Remember that the Earth is 4 and a 1/2 Billion years old, so at one time or another there was no ocean in that picture, plus there was no atmosphere to burn up most meteorites. Plus the tectonic plates were all aligned differently so that 2 parts of this crust of Earth could of been on opposite sides of the world.

Or if you believe your Evangelical Christians in the good ol' US of A. It's only about 4 to 6 Thousand years old, proving all that 'Sacrilegious Carbon Dating', and those 'Blasphemous Scientists' are wrong, with their emphatic evidence of 'The Bible' and 'Blind Faith'. They also believe that Dinosaurs existed in the Garden of Eden...........

............................... 'Remembers that Sopranos joke about Adam and Eve constantly running away from the dinosaurs'. :D

The Black Spots in the Ocean kind of look like meteorite impacts, or could possibly just be natural formations of the land caused by erosion or tectonic movement.

Remember that the Earth is 4 and a 1/2 Billion years old, so at one time or another there was no ocean in that picture, plus there was no atmosphere to burn up most meteorites. Plus the tectonic plates were all aligned differently so that 2 parts of this crust of Earth could of been on opposite sides of the world.

Or if you believe your Evangelical Christians in the good ol' US of A. It's only about 4 to 6 Thousand years old, proving all that 'Sacrilegious Carbon Dating', and those 'Blasphemous Scientists' are wrong, with their emphatic evidence of 'The Bible' and 'Blind Faith'. They also believe that Dinosaurs existed in the Garden of Eden...........

............................... 'Remembers that Sopranos joke about Adam and Eve constantly running away from the dinosaurs'. :D

i can't beleave someone else remembered that joke good memory there snake plisken

• Like 1

I haven't had a chance to sit down and work on this for a few weeks so here's where I left off:

post-3-0-73372600-1360787163.jpg

The countryside shrunk down a little but I think it will get stretched out again when I work on it some more. I threw in Santa Catalina Island and an oil rig south of the map.

I haven't had a chance to sit down and work on this for a few weeks so here's where I left off:

post-3-0-73372600-1360787163.jpg

The countryside shrunk down a little but I think it will get stretched out again when I work on it some more. I threw in Santa Catalina Island and an oil rig south of the map.

Looks Interesting.

But what makes you think there will be an Oil Rig?

Does the San Andreas fault-line continue into the sea, off the coast of Northern California? Or is that trench something entirely different? That would make a decent sized trench if they wanted to include one...

Yes and no.

Actually, this isn't a trench, but a approximately 1.2 miles high ridge, called Mendocino Fracture Zone that runs through almost the entire pacific and coincides with where the San Andreas Fault goes eventually goes submarine (when looking south->north)

It's a result of the plate activity between the Pacific Plate and it's surrounding plates (North American, Juan de Fuca and to some extent the Eurasian and Philipine Plate aswell).

The main fault line, however, continues northbound along the Juan de Fuca Ridge and Explorer Ridge and continues along the coast through the Golf of Alaska and onward along the Aleutian Islands to Russia.

The San Andreas Fault itself, this is merely a matter of terminology, is only the "landside" part from the Golf of California to Cape Mendocino.

(you marked this part wrong on your map btw, but that's not the point here)

figure1_03.jpg

but to get this underwater cliffdiving feeling, all we need is some of the underwater canyons that are scattered all along the entire westcoast.

Redondo Canyon, just to name one, is as much as 1000ft deep and just off Redondo Beach.

or you really do underwater cliffdiving, in most cases the seabed as a shallow slope until a few miles off the coast and then falls off very rapidly (not as nice to see around LA, but if you look at San Francisco, until 30miles out of Golden Gate, the seabed falls just about 1400ft and then over a lenth of about 50miles, the seabed falls more than 10.000ft...

could also be the superstructure of a ship, really hard to tell as it seems to be very far away, which in turns mean it's a low LOD model.