Because you can't use scale, height and distance references, etc. to determine how Rockstar wants to handle the edges of the map. <_<

Common sense would tell you it will just be endless ocean. Endless desert is unlikely.

ok then, show me the towns, etc on the map :) I've been watching this topic sience page 1 and no map shows what its exactly like :) where are the rivers, towns, train tracks, highways etc

Embermane is right, this topic is useless. Gangsta gangsta.

However, we do, er did have the resources... we used to have a member, Marney, i think.... He worked for rockstar and sometimes he'd give us information if we sent him pictures of our privates...

it was that easy? ^ gosh, i got some weapons info right now that was a sumbitch to get....and all i needed was a nikon camera?.... uno,its the least you could do to have a High Res pic for someone whos going to give out info like that... but lets just say i took an alternative route withought relizing the easy way of going about it...

Marney worked for Rockstar now? :bullshit:

Even if he did, the developers (save those high up in the food chain i.e Leslie Benzies) don't ever really see what the final game looks like all together until just before it's released. Even testers are given specific instructions to follow and are given certain builds to test. All of the above are contracted to secrecy with a non-disclosure clause, and since Rockstar reads over all the forums, if Marney was an employee, they would have picked up on it and investigated.

I'm a tester (non-videogame), and ALL companies take employee information leaks SUPER seriously. I'm not even allowed to talk to my closest friends about work-stuff...

This is what I'm thinking for the whole map at this point. Military base would be far east, maybe northeast corner out past Grapeseed.

Doubt is the furthest thing from my mind. Understand that, Fitty, as I ask these questions: Where do you get the shape, size, boundaries, etc.? What makes you think that the military base is in the east?

Again, I don't doubt you. I just want to attempt to understand your deduction methods.

Also, if you can, please make a version of that so that we can see your imagining of what types of terrain go where on the map. E.g., use a tan color for desert, brown for mountains, green for countryside/farmland, gray for city, etc. I'm eager to peek in your mind for a bit.

The internet is a crazy place. Inside my mind is crazier. ;)

First off, obviously I make up a lot that we haven't been shown so things in the wilderness could be quite different in GTA V. But here's an overview of what drives me to my conclusions of the map...

Map Shape

I've been concentrating on the urban area since this all started with the first trailer. I had an idea of what that area would look like (mini version of the real thing) and the most recent screenshots provided sweeping views of the downtown area so everything in the LS basin has pretty much fallen into place for me. The only major change was the airport getting shoved out to the southwest where Rancho Palos Verdes is in real life and obviously everything else getting squished together in different ways to fit.

Outside the urban area, a few pages back Dup (I think) posted images created by another fan forum that pretty much put together the western lake area and the two western rivers. I reviewed it and found it satisfactory *sips tea* although I think some adjustments need to be made to their map. I made up the eastern part of the lake. It just fits in my mind for another river at that end. From the screenshots/trailer we could see that the mountains on the western side stop so that would likely be the map limits that way. I don't think the mountains go much further north either since we don't see peaks beyond those around the lake in that area (draw distance permitting).

Assuming GTA V's map is another island (long story short I think there's a chance it won't be but airplanes give the island route a huge advantage from a gameplay standpoint to not "ruin" the flow as Rockstar says) I pretty much continued an even border across the northern end and rounded out the east side of the map where I saw fit. I used my previous IV comparison for scale (which again is a rough estimate). The southeast corner looks like it does because of the scene in trailer 2 where Trevor jumps from the airplane with the jeep (Scene 32 of the breakdown). First off we are pretty much over the lake looking back at the urban area (south/southwest) so secondly on the left side of the pic the ground looks blank through the clouds - as if it's open water. Using the sweeping downtown shots we can see a mountain range along the east side but no more beyond. From those two points I conclude that a single ridge separates the urban and rural areas. It's still possible that there is land over there such as an open desert.

Military Base Location

I think it will be opposite the Los Santos International Airport so we have someplace to fly the big planes across the map to. That's really the most reasoning I have for that. Obviously we have smaller rural strips (one close to the urban area near the satellite dishes) but what's the fun in flying over one mountain? San Andreas was spread out and we had some distance to cover from airport to airport. We can also look back at the scene with Trevor jumping. That plane had to be going somewhere towards the northeast...

So yeah.

edit:

and just for you....

post-3-0-71865200-1357201364.png

Pretty much all the green is mountains. Flat around the northeast of the lake where farms are. Maybe flat along the north map border. Something like that.

• Like 2

I dont think it's useless to try to make the map, I'm just saying that those who use map shoul use the information they have and straight facts, dont try to shape the map if you dont know the edges etc.

We'll just have to wait 'till release probaly. I know Rockstar isn't going to pull a Saints Row, and show the map.

Maybe next publications will show more terrain like it was done with the second trailer "cargo plane car drop" scene, maybe some kind of screenshot from top of some high mountain.

Atlantis lol, that was funny haha sometimes when i read ppl's desires i dont know what to say, but honestly there has to be like at least half the size of LS city around (or town w.e.) cuz otherwise there is no objective in having those passanger jets and this maybe 747 look a like plane. There could be a double meaning of rockstar saying the action takes place in LS and surrounding area's, but maybe they mean only that the missions are taken there but there is also other part of map where u can just spend cash or do other stuff.

why does having passenger jets in it, mean there is a second area of large city/airport. it's a game, your supposed to imagine there going places lol. just like in liberty city.

there will be the city of los santos, and probably a desert/country side airfield to land the bigger flyable planes.

why does having passenger jets in it, mean there is a second area of large city/airport. it's a game, your supposed to imagine there going places lol. just like in liberty city.

there will be the city of los santos, and probably a desert/country side airfield to land the bigger flyable planes.

Exactly, Saints Row 3 had airline planes, but only one city and one airport. Games are fictional and don't need a reason for some things.

Dont compare SR to GTA lol SR is just a game for fun to mess around, GTA is more lifelike thats why I think those planes have some meaning and I dont hype that there IS a city I just say that there is no sense in having them if there is no other big city. And Jamie you say it's a game well then submarines and sharks lol, you tell me.

First off, obviously I...

Wow. Such a simple process, and yet the results are so complex. Fascinating.

I can't wait to see you be proven right. Keep it up, Fitty.

Come on Treefitty, thats a very sad map... Lets wait a few more weeks, and more information.

Forget it. You know what? Fuck you, Fitty. This guy's totally right, and I, for one, like his map a hell of a lot better.

• Like 5