Why would it be any different from every other GTA entry (bar III)? It will obviously be an island. It just makes sense. There's no point comparing it to RDR, because that's a different franchise, as are Midnight Club and LA Noire.

Also, if only this was the map :jumpy:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md1lhfKudU1re6du7o1_1280.jpg

Edited by TreeFitty
Really don't need that huge image again.

Why would it be any different from every other GTA entry (bar III)? It will obviously be an island. It just makes sense. There's no point comparing it to RDR, because that's a different franchise, as are Midnight Club and LA Noire.

Also, if only this was the map :jumpy:

by that logic nothing would be diffrent, why would there be 3 charecters? they can change it to how ever they want. I am now thinking, however, that you guys are right and it will be a large island.

at least it doesn't sound like its going to be the way it was in San Andreas where the immideate coast was modeled and everything beyond was just ground texture and water...

^ That's exactly what I would expect it to be, maybe a larger detailed underwater area than SA had, but I can't see them throwing away disc space on the edges of the map.

procedural generation is the magic concerned.

you barely "waste" anything and still can create immense things.

just think of minecraft, the core files are just a couple of mb and yet each time a world is started, they generate the biggest game environment these days, covering a larger area than the surface of the earth.

thats where I was going with my post.

all the scenery-relevant data is there already in the game; water, ground textures, plants, rocks, animals, effects like dust or splashing waves... all you need to do is add a code that randomly mixes it over and over again to procedurally generate an endless world beyond the actual map.

now I'm no expert when it comes to coding, I learned basic in school (at a time when c++ and .net have been established already, go figure) and taught myself some smallscale html and c++, but I have a hard time thinking that'll be a waste of disc space to implement a procedurally generated endlessness beyond the actual map when using visual content already present, which would make sense to make transitions smooth

anyways, I think we won't have an endless desert, I hink we'll have a large island to play with and and endless ocean around to get lost forever, either with or without detailed ocean floor, but I think it's with. a procedurally generated endless oceanfloor works in just cause 2 (at least as far as my experiments can tell), why shouldn't it work here?

Well, you learn something new everyday. :thumbup:

Those of you that are wondering what to expect in the wilderness, and hasn't seen or been to L.A.'s extended countryside (like me) then have a watch of some of the videos here i found. They really do give you a great perspective on things.

• Like 2

by that logic nothing would be diffrent, why would there be 3 charecters? they can change it to how ever they want. I am now thinking, however, that you guys are right and it will be a large island.

Not really, because they change aspects that will affect gameplay value. Whether you're on an Island or a piece of land with invisible walls doesn't do that, so why would they change it?

Some guy called 'lxr' posted this Grand Unified Theory on GTAforums a couple of hours ago. Thought it was pretty interesting:

Let hope there's a little less mountainous terrain and a little more towns/forested areas on the actual map, because that map looks boring as hell. That would be a real cheap move on R*s part -"the map is like SA, IV, and RDR combined. but 69% of it is water and mountain..." :no:

Those of you that are wondering what to expect in the wilderness, and hasn't seen or been to L.A.'s extended countryside (like me) then have a watch of some of the videos here i found. They really do give you a great perspective on things.

Nice videos. I have always wanted tot make the hike to the bridge but have never found the time. maybe this spring.

Not really, because they change aspects that will affect gameplay value. Whether you're on an Island or a piece of land with invisible walls doesn't do that, so why would they change it?

I don't know, it is kind of a matter of opinion. Why was RDR not an island? if it does not matter and it is what R* always does, and under your logic it is impossible to change something if it does not have a tangible effect that you recognize, then why did they not make RDR an island? ( sorry for the poor sentence structure, I didn’t feel like fixing it)

I don't know, it is kind of a matter of opinion. Why was RDR not an island? if it does not matter and it is what R* always does, and under your logic it is impossible to change something if it does not have a tangible effect that you recognize, then why did they not make RDR an island? ( sorry for the poor sentence structure, I didn’t feel like fixing it)

Well that's obvious.. because you can't fly harrier jets in RDR.

• Like 2

LOL, that has nothing to do with it. I was pointing out that your logic of "it cant change if it doesnt make a noticable change" doesnt make sense.

LOL, that has nothing to do with it. I was pointing out that your logic of "it cant change if it doesnt make a noticable change" doesnt make sense.

Are you retarded? My logic is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. GTA's have been an Island for a reason, and that is because it doesn't break flight immersion.

I typed "Los Angeles Water Tower" into Google Images and the Vernon Municipal Water Tower popped up:

vernonwatertower.jpg

So the little "base" at the end of the second trailer is near there.

trailer-2-my-best-friend.jpg

edit a little later:

centennialmills.jpg

Centennial Mills/ADM Distribution in Boyle Heights

I have a doubt, a huge doubt. Where this highway goes? It starts in Los Santos, but where it goes?

a highway doesn't just stop they connect cities but there only is one thats what he means

i think it just rings around the whole map from the bottom of Los Santos around then to the top of LS

anyone used the windmills in that pic for mapping?

I have a doubt, a huge doubt. Where this highway goes? It starts in Los Santos, but where it goes?

a highway doesn't just stop they connect cities but there only is one thats what he means

i think it just rings around the whole map from the bottom of Los Santos around then to the top of LS

I agree. I think it extends further than jus around LS though. There's probably junctions on the loop that fall off into towns on the way around...

Are you retarded? My logic is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. GTA's have been an Island for a reason, and that is because it doesn't break flight immersion.

Well I am currently working on my MBA so certainly hope not. You are not using "if it aint broke, don’t fix it" logic you are using "it is imposable for R* to change anything without you understanding the purpose" logic. That is bad logic because it requires a number of assumptions, namely that you could, right now, name all of the possible reasons R* could have for changing something. People, including developers, change things all the time for no apparent reason. But I am not even saying you are wrong, there is a good chance they won’t change it, I am just saying your logic is flawed. I also disagree that it being an island increases immersion, in my opinion it hurts it. It is not that big of a deal, we can agree to disagree, no need to start calling people names.

I agree. I think it extends further than jus around LS though. There's probably junctions on the loop that fall off into towns on the way around...

It could also just tapper off until it is nothing but a two lane road. I guess it could be like the 15, which starts off large but then dwindles into 2 lanes (even though it needs to be widened to 4 lanes). LS is the only city, but there could be a large town that the highway connects to.

I think that desert portion loops back over to the LS Port along the map edge. The highway that goes along the beach (Santa Monica) up to Malibu might taper off unless it goes over that second arch bridge in the far distance (pic below). I'm more interested in where the trains go. :P

trainbridge.jpg

• Like 1

I was just thinking. If the game is set only in Los Santos, which is pretty much confirmed now. Will it be bigger than San Andreas in terms of actual map size? I realize San Andreas covered three cities and surrounding countryside, but everything was shrunk down and the cities were far smaller than any real city. GTA V clearly looks much richer in detail and bigger looking from what we have seen of it so far. But will it actually be bigger than San Andreas, or ever Red Dead?, since Rockstar have mentioned it is the largest and most ambitious game yet in their latest statement.

Might as well start discussing it, but don't moan that the game is going to suck because it's not going to be San Andreas, that's not the point of this thread.

Personally I hope it is bigger. And i hope to see loads of small country towns sprawled out over the countrysides, full of interesting characters to do side missions for and what not.

I think you've summed it up perfectly, initially I was disappointed it wasn't all of SA but the more I think about it just being Los Santo's the more I like the sound of it. R* know what they are doing and it could well be bigger than SA and maybe 10 years down the line bigger and better consoles we will see the whole of the SA but for now what we possibly have is like SA the defining game of a generation which strikes the balance between what SA & IV offered.

i heard on a interview that you could put the hole san andreas map and IV/4 and red redemption in the V map so its gonna be pretty big :) defintley bigger then SA

That’s a good point about the train. The fact that it cuts right through Mt Chiliad speaks for how big the map is. In California the desert is separated from the LA area by mountains, so it would make sense if Mt Chiliad sat between the city and the desert.

As for subways, like Treefifty said, they do exist in LA, but if I remember correctly though they have never been all that popular. I may be wrong; I have not spent too much time in LA. All I remember about LA subways is that they were trying to build one when I was a kid and the tunnel kept collapsing. Anyways, I don’t think subways are really what people think about when you say LA, so it is possible they may not bother including them. I hope I am wrong because I think they would be great.