I do think it will be an island, otherwise we'll be flying into invisible walls'n shit

I dont think so, look at RDR. They did a good job of making natural boundrys to limit the map. I think we will see something more like RDR, not an island.

I do think it will be an island, otherwise we'll be flying into invisible walls'n shit

I dont think so, look at RDR. They did a good job of making natural boundrys to limit the map. I think we will see something more like RDR, not an island.

So there will be mountains so tall you can't fly over them? I doubt they'd do that. But i guess its possible. Seems like a step backwards though, anyone remember Smugglers Run? Every edge was surrounded by tall un-climbable mountain and hill slopes.

it's possible but I don't think it's very likely

there aren't any mountains in the USA big enough plus I have not seen any mountains that high in the trailers or screen shots

mountainlake.jpg

I know there probably won't be much to do on this and other of the taller mountains (except for possibly snow-related activities), but just look at how much space it takes up . . . I'm actually kind of excited to scale it and see the ridiculous vistas from the very top.

it's possible but I don't think it's very likely

there aren't any mountains in the USA big enough plus I have not seen any mountains that high in the trailers or screen shots

mountainlake.jpg

• Like 1

So there will be mountains so tall you can't fly over them? I doubt they'd do that. But i guess its possible. Seems like a step backwards though, anyone remember Smugglers Run? Every edge was surrounded by tall un-climbable mountain and hill slopes.

I didnt mean that the mountains would stop you in a air craft. I honestly wasnt even thinkiing about flying. I guess if you fly out it will eventually just be an island. they are ether going to have an invisable wall, or you can just fly over water forever. they could make it endless desert just as easily, right?

I think they could do it half endless ocean and half endless desert if they wanted to. If there's a drowning time limit for being stranded in the ocean they could put a dehydration system for the desert. But I think it'll be an island.

• Like 1

i personaly think its going to be an island, but once you are playing the game, it will feel so big you wont notice that the map is surrounded with water.gta sa kinda felt more islandish because the map imo seemed like it was broken up wierdly. but in GTA 4, it never seemed i was on an island realy.

knighty are you sure it is not called minecraft? that is a game with randomly generated terrain but didnt come out a long time ago so it may not be the name of it it may be called freeride x like you said. x

1327 Palisades Beach Road:

1327palisadesbeach.jpg

^that one has the "yellow stairs" in real life:

Wow, good eye...Keep it up, Fitty.

I noticed that he pointed and said "...yellow stairs...". But I didn't see any in the trailer, did you?

No qwob, the game was freeride earth..

http://www.old-games.com/download/4644/freeride-earth

Randomly generated terrain... Seems pretty simple to add.. If someone could do it in 1998' im sure they could do it now...

No qwob, the game was freeride earth..

http://www.old-games.../freeride-earth

Randomly generated terrain... Seems pretty simple to add.. If someone could do it in 1998' im sure they could do it now...

Still think it would take up more resources than just sea, could be wrong though.

Still think it would take up more resources than just sea, could be wrong though.

since R* said they detailed the ocean floor aswell, I don't think there's too much of a difference between endless desert and endless ocean around the map.

at least it doesn't sound like its going to be the way it was in San Andreas where the immideate coast was modeled and everything beyond was just ground texture and water...

basically, the only thing they have to do is write a bunch of lines of code to create the generator (or implement one of the many random generators into the game's code), everything else that's needed to create a seemless transition from the real map and a believable endless ocean/desert/forrest/whatever (textures, models, effects) is already in the game anyway.

at least it doesn't sound like its going to be the way it was in San Andreas where the immideate coast was modeled and everything beyond was just ground texture and water...

^ That's exactly what I would expect it to be, maybe a larger detailed underwater area than SA had, but I can't see them throwing away disc space on the edges of the map.

It takes most of your oxygen but you can swim along the bottom of the ocean way off the map in Just Cause 2. I think JC's whole landscape starts off as procedurally generated before adding the roads and buildings so it's simpler to extend that infinitely than combining it with a hand crafted model.

I dont know, at this point I could see it going ether way. I do not think that endless desert would be much more difficult then endless water since, as gmt said, the ocean floor is detailed and so it would basiccly be the same thing. in fact the desert might even be easeier because you are not adding a bunch of water on top of it.

^ That's exactly what I would expect it to be, maybe a larger detailed underwater area than SA had, but I can't see them throwing away disc space on the edges of the map.

procedural generation is the magic concerned.

you barely "waste" anything and still can create immense things.

just think of minecraft, the core files are just a couple of mb and yet each time a world is started, they generate the biggest game environment these days, covering a larger area than the surface of the earth.

thats where I was going with my post.

all the scenery-relevant data is there already in the game; water, ground textures, plants, rocks, animals, effects like dust or splashing waves... all you need to do is add a code that randomly mixes it over and over again to procedurally generate an endless world beyond the actual map.

now I'm no expert when it comes to coding, I learned basic in school (at a time when c++ and .net have been established already, go figure) and taught myself some smallscale html and c++, but I have a hard time thinking that'll be a waste of disc space to implement a procedurally generated endlessness beyond the actual map when using visual content already present, which would make sense to make transitions smooth

anyways, I think we won't have an endless desert, I hink we'll have a large island to play with and and endless ocean around to get lost forever, either with or without detailed ocean floor, but I think it's with. a procedurally generated endless oceanfloor works in just cause 2 (at least as far as my experiments can tell), why shouldn't it work here?