From JeuxActu: "Rockstar Games has confirmed that the city of Los Santos (an almost perfect replica of Los Angeles) is 4-5 times larger than Liberty City in GTA IV" Hope you guys stop arguing now. And yes.. it mentions that just the city is that big, not the whole map. That means that the map is gonna be enormous (+judging from the new screenshots).

6.3x4=25.2

6.3x5= 31.5

If you take the mean value, you get roughly 28.4mi^2 (square miles).

So if the countryside is to be massive, that means the entire map has to be at least 60mi^2, which I doubt since RDR+SA+GTA IV= like 30ish... To me it doesn't all add up. I'm confident it will be larger than Liberty City, but 2 or 3x seems more reasonable to me, if our whole map size of 30-40mi^2 is to be correct.

I hope Banana Pudding sees this, can't wait to see how he tries to defend his point now, and I quote "Dg3Vt.gif"

This is how I envision the map. Obviously the mountains and desert area might be misplaced and the transition is pretty bad on this one, but you get the general idea. Keep in mind that this is how I envision it, not that I'm sure or even trying to be accurate.. i'm just guessing and killing time.

23wp2mh.jpg

From JeuxActu: "Rockstar Games has confirmed that the city of Los Santos (an almost perfect replica of Los Angeles) is 4-5 times larger than Liberty City in GTA IV" Hope you guys stop arguing now. And yes.. it mentions that just the city is that big, not the whole map. That means that the map is gonna be enormous (+judging from the new screenshots).

I'll believe that when I see it.

That would mean that the city alone is 25 square miles. That's nearly twice as big as the entire map of San Andreas. The only way they can get that much land is if they're adding all of Los Angeles county including areas such as Santa Clarita and Pomoma. The urban center of Los Santos that they showed in the first trailer isn't going to be nearly that big.

This is what Liberty City and Los Santos city would look like if the Bank Tower was next to the Chrysler Building -

SRx0m.jpg

To get the same angle in the oil well picture, you'd have to place the camera farther north and pointed west. That would shrink the right side considerably.

Poor Marcus got his hopes up for nothing.

• Like 2

GTAV's game world is bigger than the worlds of Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas and GTA IV combined!

Fully explorable Mount Chiliad

A military base

Salton Sea region

Wine country

Wilderness

Fully explorable ocean floor along the coastline

6.3x4=25.2

6.3x5= 31.5

If you take the mean value, you get roughly 28.4mi^2 (square miles).

So if the countryside is to be massive, that means the entire map has to be at least 60mi^2, which I doubt since RDR+SA+GTA IV= like 30ish... To me it doesn't all add up. I'm confident it will be larger than Liberty City, but 2 or 3x seems more reasonable to me, if our whole map size of 30-40mi^2 is to be correct.

I hope Banana Pudding sees this, can't wait to see how he tries to defend his point now, and I quote "Dg3Vt.gif"

Remember, Marcus, R* said LS was larger than those three combined, not the map. The map as a whole could be even bigger.

This^ is exactly what I took that comment as, looks like I was right to think the reporter was referring to the city alone.

Also, Pud, I told ya so. :P

gtav-02jpg-19d0a5-1.jpg

what do you think?. i'd imagine these two places to be near one another.

I don't think those are the same mountains, look at the difference between how steep they are, plus the flatter one seems to level out a bit at the top of the image while the other mountain seems to just go higher and higher.

Remember, Marcus, R* said LS was larger than those three combined, not the map. The map as a whole could be even bigger.

This^ is exactly what I took that comment as, looks like I was right to think the reporter was referring to the city alone.

Also, Pud, I told ya so. :P

Do you really believe you're looking at an area nearly the size SA, IV, and RDR combined in this picture?

CRfKw.jpg

watch this -

im realy thinking that the changes in terrain and geography ( desert to forests,etc) would be less extreme than in GTA SA, it would gradually drag into another geography. and about the city, i realy dont know how big the CITY is going to be, but it is going to be HUGE. and the rest of the map is going to be even bigger than we think

I think - even with Aaron's statement concerning size - we've been still off.

Check what IGN says about the map size:

Rockstar says the map is 3.5 times bigger than Red Dead Redemption -- 5 times bigger if you include topography, as representatives kept talking about be depths of the ocean.

Dildos...

Look at the close up shots of the city in the heist and fib shots.... City looks huge...

I think in that shot all but the tallest buildings are obscured by fog..

• Like 1

That would mean that the city alone is 25 square miles. That's nearly twice as big as the entire map of San Andreas. The only way they can get that much land is if they're adding all of Los Angeles county including areas such as Santa Clarita and Pomoma. The urban center of Los Santos that they showed in the first trailer isn't going to be nearly that big.

This is what Liberty City and Los Santos city would look like if the Bank Tower was next to the Chrysler Building -

SRx0m.jpg

To get the same angle in the oil well picture, you'd have to place the camera farther north and pointed west. That would shrink the right side considerably.

Are you for real?

The article directly said the city will be bigger than the 3 combined. Yet you still seem to think you're right, when it's fucking confirmed by a legit article that you're wrong.

YOU WERE WRONG. Just deal with it.

Poor Banana Pudding is in denial.

• Like 1

One of you people who are bothered to do things. Make a mockup map of what you think GTA 5's map will look like based on the screenshots available so far. Surely someone on the internet has done that by now.

One of you people who are bothered to do things. Make a mockup map of what you think GTA 5's map will look like based on the screenshots available so far. Surely someone on the internet has done that by now.

Are you for real?

The article directly said the city will be bigger than the 3 combined. Yet you still seem to think you're right, when it's fucking confirmed by a legit article that you're wrong.

So you're saying the area of the city within the mountains is around 30 square miles?

Are you for real?

So you're saying the area of the city within the mountains is around 30 square miles?

What I am saying is that the city is '4-5x bigger' than Liberty City.

Nope, it maybe 15-25 sq miles, How can you still believe the only urban area of this HUGE map will be less than 5 sq miles? Wake up, Pud.

Everyone is giving a different veiw in the articles:

V is 4-5 times bigger than IV

The city 4-5 times bigger than IV

V is 4-5 times bigger than RDR

V is the size of IV, SA, & RDR combined...

So it comes down to:

Which article is the most legit

• Like 1

SRx0m.jpg

This^

• Like 1

I was just thinking. If the game is set only in Los Santos, which is pretty much confirmed now. Will it be bigger than San Andreas in terms of actual map size? I realize San Andreas covered three cities and surrounding countryside, but everything was shrunk down and the cities were far smaller than any real city. GTA V clearly looks much richer in detail and bigger looking from what we have seen of it so far. But will it actually be bigger than San Andreas, or ever Red Dead?, since Rockstar have mentioned it is the largest and most ambitious game yet in their latest statement.

Might as well start discussing it, but don't moan that the game is going to suck because it's not going to be San Andreas, that's not the point of this thread.

Personally I hope it is bigger. And i hope to see loads of small country towns sprawled out over the countrysides, full of interesting characters to do side missions for and what not.

The map size is bigger than Gta San Andreas + Gta Iv + Red Dead which is pretty god damn big, this is both interior and exterior but still.

For those who are doubtful about the size of Los Santos as compared to Liberty City need to understand that Manhattan is on an island, and a relatively small one at that; therefore, NYC is a very vertical city (a.k.a. lots of very tall building packed into a small landmass). Los Angeles, on the otherhand, is not on an island and is not a vertical city at all. Yes, there are some skyscrapers in the downtown area, but the huge majority of the city is urban sprawl. It spreads out from downtown for miles and miles in all directions and *most* of the buildings are no more than a few stories tall. So yes, downtown L.A./L.S. won't give you any idea of the city's scale either in reality, or in-game.

Here is a good example: http://www.latimes.c...mp/blimp01.jpg. Note the downtown area in the foreground. Roughly the same size as NYC's financial district, if not smaller. But more importantly, note the aforementioned sprawl. It literally spreads to the horizon. So, not a tall city, but a massive one.

Are you for real?

The problem with this entire argument is that it's based on fuzzy logic. Every one of Banana Pudding's posts have said something abstract like "My estimated size of the city area of Los Santos" or "I didn't estimate the whole map - just the city area that they showed in the trailer".

Banana Pudding, nobody knows what you mean by "city area". You could be taking about the full city limits of Los Santos, in which case I suspect Marcus is right and you're way off. Or you could just be talking about some arbitrary cluster of buildings, in which case it's completely pointless to compare that random area to the entire map of Liberty City.

If there's a third possibility, please explain it concisely. Otherwise everyone quit clogging the thread with your dick-swinging contest.

• Like 3

Nope, it maybe 15-25 sq miles, How can you still believe the only urban area of this HUGE map will be less than 5 sq miles? Wake up, Pud.

These are just parts of a 14 square mile map:

Q0H7S.jpg

Now look at this picture again and tell me how many square miles you think it is...

CRfKw.jpg

Study the numbers in the picture below and try to get an estimate of the distance from the Bank Tower to the other side of the Vincent Thomas Bridge -

rzdr6.jpg

I'll help you out. It's about a half mile.

The problem with this entire argument is that it's based on fuzzy logic. Every one of Banana Pudding's posts have said something abstract like "My estimated size of the city area of Los Santos" or "I didn't estimate the whole map - just the city area that they showed in the trailer".

Banana Pudding, nobody knows what you mean by "city area". You could be taking about the full city limits of Los Santos, in which case I suspect Marcus is right and you're way off. Or you could just be talking about some arbitrary cluster of buildings, in which case it's completely pointless to compare that random area to the entire map of Liberty City.

If there's a third possibility, please explain it concisely. Otherwise everyone quit clogging the thread with your dick-swinging contest.

I already said what my estimated area included. Perhaps you should do less crying and more reading.

I only estimated the area of the city within the mountains. It's in the areas marked in red and south to the bridges.

9XosT.jpg

Do you see the mountains I drew in my map? Those are the mountains you see around the city in the first trailer. That's pretty obvious to people who are at least somewhat intelligent. My dog could figure that out.

http://i.imgur.com/TXRDf.jpg