I would be disappointed if it was that size, especially if it was as interactive as GTA IV. Your estimation is roughly 2.5mi^2, which is nothing. Especially for a new GTA coming out, which will presumably, have a substantially large map, almost definitely bigger than IV's.

With the planes in there has to be at least two airports, otherwise whats the point?

What I'm hoping for is a good medium-sized city on the other side of the map from Los Santos. Something like San Diego would be perfect.

Think a little!

Their could be an island with an airport (because there is no bridge/tunnel leading to it) and an INT airport in LS.

As I always love to do in my other posts around this forum, let's play the comparison game!!!! :clap:

San Andreas' map is said to be 13.9 square miles (36 km's sq)

GTA IV's map is roughly 6 square miles (10km's sq)

RDR's map is (unconfirmed, but Rockstar did mention) 2.5 times bigger than SA, so 16.4 square miles (68 km's sq?)

L.A Noire's map is roughly 8 square miles (13km's sq)

I personally thought that IV and LA Noire's maps were pretty darn big, so anything bigger than 9 miles would leave me floored for years.

But what does a big map matter if there's nothing interesting to do or see? If the surrounds of LS in V are anything like RDR, it'd be great! But you have to admit that SA had a lot of boring areas where nothing much was going on (parts of the desert, farms, forests, rivers ect.)

I really liked gtasa's countryside...

If los santos is the only city, bannana is wrong about the map size, if rockstar is keeping us hoodwinked, he might be right.

I really liked gtasa's countryside...

me too

If los santos is the only city, bannana is wrong about the map size, if rockstar is keeping us hoodwinked, he might be right.

I didn't estimate the whole map - just the city area that they showed in the trailer. There could be more city area to the east and southeast. Rockstar pretty much confirmed the map is at least bigger than IV's.

Edit.....

i think it would be better to use mcla and lan's maps instead of gta 4's. but only in ters of size and the fact that v's city will be more realistic

1. I don't have those games.

2. LA Noire was set in the 1940's before the Bank Tower and Citigroup Center were built. I'm not sure about the other buildings and I don't feel like looking it up.

...The maps are on the internet. and the point of the la noire map being mentioned is that it was large and only the los angeles area, doesn't mater if the buildings are not there because all you need it for is comparisons. since similar buildings or landmarks exist in both games, all you would have to do is calculate approximated draw distance (how far away one building is from the other in both games)

...The maps are on the internet. and the point of the la noire map being mentioned is that it was large and only the los angeles area, doesn't mater if the buildings are not there because all you need it for is comparisons. since similar buildings or landmarks exist in both games, all you would have to do is calculate approximated draw distance (how far away one building is from the other in both games)

I would need the game to do that. It's too hard to find good screenshots of the areas I would need and I would also need to know the exact position of those images on the map.

You could do it. I'm not.

All I know is, GTA is going to be HUGE. There isn't going to be any other cities either. It's just Los Santos and "surrounding hills, countryside, and beaches" as R* said when they first announced GTA 5. I DK why a lot of you keep thinking GTA 5 will feature an area like San Diego, because there isn't going to be one. It's just Los Santos alone, by itself. I just wanna know, however, if the "surrounding countryside, etc" will include desert flats areas and forested areas as well. My thinking of the size of the map is based only on rumors I've been spotting all over the web. I think 2 and half times the size of the RDR map sounds reasonable, or about 4 to 5 times the size of the GTA 4 Liberty City map. I have no concrete idea, though, the map could be bigger, could be smaller than what I threw out up there. What would be really cool to know is the size of the map in square mileage. R* should tell us that at least if they won't tell us what the release date is.

With the planes in there has to be at least two airports, otherwise whats the point?

What I'm hoping for is a good medium-sized city on the other side of the map from Los Santos. Something like San Diego would be perfect.

Think a little!

Their could be an island with an airport (because there is no bridge/tunnel leading to it) and an INT airport in LS.

Well, keep hoping, like I stated before, there isn't going to be another city like San Diego, or others, it's only Los Santos and the "surrounding hills, countryside, and beaches." R* already confirmed this. There is going to be NO other major cities besides greater Los Santos, but there may be little hick towns up in the hill-country, but that's about it.

R* already confirmed this.

No they didn't.

Uh, yes they did. Where did they say anything about another major city in their official announcement, huh? They didn't. They said "Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside, and beaches". Did they mention another major city after that? NO. Now stop fucking with me and let it go; there is NO other big cities in GTA 5, and Rockstar DID confirm that. Now stop arguing with me on this before I report you and have your commenting privileges suspended.

Now stop arguing with me on this before I report you and have your commenting privileges suspended.

I had no idea you had so much pull with the staff here. You must be very important.

They didnt comfirm what wasnt in gta5. They said gta5 will take place in los santos and surrounding countryside, thats all they said...

Oh, if, by any remote chance I'm wrong, and there is another city in GTA 5, then sue me, but from what I've been reading on Rockstar's websites, I only saw them mention quote: "Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside, and beaches" end quote. I did NOT see anything, no matter where I read up about this, pertaining to any other major cities in the game. There will NOT be a version of Las Vegas again (Las Venturas), and there certainly won't be a version of San Diego, so why don't you folks just LET IT GO GODDAMN YOU. It aint happenin; so forget about it. It's just Los Santos as the ONLY big city in the game. Like I also stated before, there may be small hick-towns in the mountains, but there is going to be NO other MAJOR metropolitan areas other than Los Santos; Los Santos is it, then wilderness, beaches, and maybe other small towns, but NOT major metropolitan cities.

Never said no other cities, therefore its not 100% confirmed, as you say. Its important to be accurate.

Also, who the hell are you anyway. Chill out. Oh no, different opinions ahead and shit.

Also, you dont need to say end quote if you actually put the end quote there, its like saying endquote endquote.

When the first gta trailer was shown, did they show lv and sf. Nope.

I agree that it's highly unlikely that there will be another major city in the game, but there's no need to be such a twat about it. Do not turn this into a flame war.

Now stop arguing with me on this before I report you and have your commenting privileges suspended.

I had no idea you had so much pull with the staff here. You must be very important.

What's that supposed to mean, "you must be very important"? Don't flatter yourselves people. I know what I've read on Rockstar's news archives before. It plainly said "Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside, and beaches" and left it that without mentioning another big city in there. And what exactly do you mean when you say "I had no idea you had so much "pull" with the staff here"? Besides, if they were gonna put other cities in this game, they would have said that by now; that there would be other big cities to explore besides Los Santos. But they didn't, and they aren't going to in the future either, so it's Los Santos only. Enough arguing with me now, I'm drunk, and I'm really not in the mood for you people to argue this point with me. Until R* themselves confirm other big cities in GTA 5, this argument is over, next person to reply to this with another arguing statement is getting reported. DO NOT reply to this with anything other than an apology saying you're sorry, or you one day, you will be sorry!

• Like 1

I am making fun of you, because you seem to think someone will be suspended just because you report them. It is not against the rules to disagree with someone. Also, there's the minor detail of me being a staff member. Report whoever you want, I'll be more than happy to laugh at it.

Ok, I won't turn this into a flame war, but would y'all out there just forget about the idea of another big city besides Los Santos, cuz there isn't going to be one. I just am not in the mood to be argued with on this. I'm drunk, I've had had lots of family issues lately, and it's not a good idea to argue with me now. I know what I've been reading on Rockstar's websites, so stop thinking you guys know it all, none of us do. I don't either, but I know enough that there isn't gonna be another big city besides Los Santos. Leave it at that; LET IT GO! It's just Los Santos this time people.

Yeah no one cares about you. If you're going to kill yourself post the link to the live stream. Otherwise don't spam our forums with your petty bullshit and chill out.

And here's a lesson on making quotes:

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.

http://www.igta5.com...ull-development

Dan Houser: I've got to be real careful here, or they will drag me through the office and whip me with barbwire. I will stick to exactly what's in the press release. It's Los Santos and the surrounding countryside - and a very big map.

http://www.igta5.com...ill-be-very-big