Who's played Just Cause 2? I really liked the map size, variety of topography (from snowy mountains to tropical beaches to desert to dense urban centres), and Rico has the grappling hook / parachute combo as a travel option in addition to the variety of vehicles, boats and aircraft. Obviously GTA V's main character won't have a grappling hook, but parachutes were used before. If parachutes are a part of the game again, you don't need as many formal airports or landing strips; just bail, let your craft crash, and glide down to safety. If the sandbox is as vast as they say, they'll probably incorporate a quick-travel method again (like extraction in JC2) where you can buy a plane ticket if you want to fast track getting from one corner to the other.

TreeFitty, love your map. You should get a prize.

• Like 1

Your mission is to find the liquor store. Failure will result in a ban. :P

Not much of drinker (hope THAT doesn't get me banned), but I can find a pot clinic in about 5 minutes...

• Like 1

Not much of drinker (hope THAT doesn't get me banned), but I can find a pot clinic in about 5 minutes...

I need you to go to South-central or Compton to take pictures of some street thugs in the middle of a turf war. Not too dangerous, I hope!

Bonjour

...As for the military, I think Edwards Air Force Base will be home to the Hydra (or whatever it ends up being called).

Edwards Air Force Base is in the Mojave Desert

Near the Mojave Desert, we can find Sierra Nevada (North. Mountain?), Tehachapi (North-west. Windfarm?) and Lancaster (West. Liquid Store?)

I've found a liquor store in this town, it looks like the ground floor of the GTA one (concrete canopy(1), double door(2) same layout of windows (3), stone walls (4), a bench (I think...) in front of the windows(5), its own sidewalk(6)).

lancas13.jpg

lancas12.jpg

I've searched several thousand liquor stores from the west of L.A. to the frontier of Arizona and this one is the most similar I've found.

• Like 1

I know what Rockstar wrote:

"Grand Theft Auto V is set in the city of Los Santos and its surrounding hills, countryside and beaches – and it will be the largest and most ambitious open world game we’ve ever created…"

No San Fierro, no Las Venturas. But I find strange that Rockstar can offer a part of the Mojave Desert without Las vegas (Las Venturas), very strange...

I know what Rockstar wrote:

"Grand Theft Auto V is set in the city of Los Santos and its surrounding hills, countryside and beaches – and it will be the largest and most ambitious open world game we’ve ever created…"

No San Fierro, no Las Venturas. But I find strange that Rockstar can offer a part of the Mojave Desert without Las vegas (Las Venturas), very strange...

I've never been to any desert in Southern California, but I believe there are some. Having a diverse environment is definitely more exciting than only one, like how it was in IV.

Although it would be pretty cool to have multiple cities, like San Diego. I think maybe just Los Santos would be suffice, when thinking about LA in real life, it is such a huge city, and personally I'd rather they got as much of it in as possible, as realistically and accurately as possible, while including the surrounding countryside. LA itself is a very diverse city, from the beaches, to the mountains, to the cities and the suburbs, I just hope they get it right, which knowing R*, they will.

Los Santos Map update:

gta-v-los-santos-map-approx1.png

Now, if the stretch of buildings from the park to the bridge (middle-right region) are all correct, it kind of rounds out that end of the map for Los Santos city area. Throwing out a guess: I think the whole main area is about the size of IV.

It's going to be bigger then san andreas LS that's for sure, like they did for Liberty city

Well done captain obvious.

I just hope its big enough that it takes real time 15 mins just to travel from city to city.

I think you get that idea from the supposed "30m gameplay" that some guy had, revealing way too many features to have been discovered in 30m.

• Like 1

@Treefitty : I want your opinion, please. You've found the century near the golf course. Do you think it's the same building on these three pictures?

centur10.jpg

• Like 1

I've looked at it, but not so sure they are the same. The one in the pier shot (1st pic) appears to have more flat angles where as the Century is rounded. Plus, you can see hills directly behind it and in the last shot (3rd) the hills are in front of it from the first pic's angle. I believe the first building is actually behind the hills on the right in the 3rd pic.

Yes it will be larger than 'San Andreas'. They have already confirmed that it will be the largest map that not only Rockstar North has created, but Rockstar itself has created. From what I read I believe 'San Andreas' was 13.9 square miles. In addition I can only imagine how big the mountain range will be in 'GTA V'.

I've a new friend. His name is Superman. He told me that he can see the Sierra Tower in Hollywood from Santa Monica Pier. Do you think he's right?

sierra10.jpg

Before answering "No", take a look at this map of LA (I know LS isn't LA). All he can see from the pier to Griffith Park ...

fromth10.jpg

• Like 1

It's possible, but remember that this isn't an exact replica of Los Angeles. Not everything is where it should be. I'll look into this some more later. Keep throwing evidence my way if you got it. :thumbup:

edit: If you are correct, then the following is likely true:

post-3-0-26691500-1332177923.png

This would probably make the pointy building left of 100 Wilshire to be a take on 225 Santa Monica Blvd:

xy_658FC90D-7C53-4ED5-8839-BF2F5DC1B568__.jpg

(link)

And if those are true, then there is more proof of the pier not being exactly where it is in real life when compared to the building locations.

edit 2: I am starting to like your theory by the way. :) As for my map, that would bring the pier+area down a little more.

• Like 1

Why does everyone keep saying the map is ONLY L.S. The guy that was interviewed was describing what the trailer showed us, not the whole map. L.V. and S.F. could still be in GTAV, and probably will.

Especially L.V.

Probably because Rockstar's only statements on the game say:

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.

A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California.

And:

Dan Houser: I've got to be real careful here, or they will drag me through the office and whip me with barbwire. I will stick to exactly what's in the press release. It's Los Santos and the surrounding countryside - and a very big map.

The window for the other cities is small. San Francisco is Northern California, and Vegas isn't even California. Rockstar has said it's Los Santos and the countryside. Neither of those cities are near Los Angeles and aren't countryside.

More likely that they probably won't be. I doubt they can create a huge detailed, action packed HD city 3x, along with vast countryside and other things such as cutscenes all in "a very big map" all in one game, especially for the consoles ( mostly Xbox)

Thats what there telling us as of RIGHT NOW. L.V. is A big part of the GTA world, but not big enough to get A "GTA: Nevada". A setting like GTAV Is the only way L.V. will ever get into A GTA game imo. Besides, when asked about the map size, Dan Houser said he was going to stick to the press release info by fear of getting his as handed to him on A silver platter, wich indicates theres alot more about the map than R*s telling us.

The question he was answering was:

Game Informer: You just released the GTA V trailer. Can you talk about that project in any respect? Obviously, it looks like it's going back to San Andreas.

They wanted to know anything about the game but obviously Rockstar wants to keep majority of it secret for now. Houser wasn't talking about only the map, but the map being big is all they have said so far.

Whatever, only time will tell. L.S. and countryside just doesn't strike me as this "BIG" game map. I just really hope that L.S. isn't the only city because this L.A. fetish is getting really repetitive and annoying. I've seen the same city already in several other games before, Im just not that excited to roam L.A. again right now, and that shitty ass game Midnight Club L.A. really isn't helping... AT ALL.