I was just thinking. If the game is set only in Los Santos, which is pretty much confirmed now. Will it be bigger than San Andreas in terms of actual map size? I realize San Andreas covered three cities and surrounding countryside, but everything was shrunk down and the cities were far smaller than any real city. GTA V clearly looks much richer in detail and bigger looking from what we have seen of it so far. But will it actually be bigger than San Andreas, or ever Red Dead?, since Rockstar have mentioned it is the largest and most ambitious game yet in their latest statement.

Might as well start discussing it, but don't moan that the game is going to suck because it's not going to be San Andreas, that's not the point of this thread.

Personally I hope it is bigger. And i hope to see loads of small country towns sprawled out over the countrysides, full of interesting characters to do side missions for and what not.

I think you've summed it up perfectly, initially I was disappointed it wasn't all of SA but the more I think about it just being Los Santo's the more I like the sound of it. R* know what they are doing and it could well be bigger than SA and maybe 10 years down the line bigger and better consoles we will see the whole of the SA but for now what we possibly have is like SA the defining game of a generation which strikes the balance between what SA & IV offered.

Do we know for sure that it is just Los Santos? To be fair I will take whatever they put together such is my faith in Rockstar. Think it's safe to say that you can go outside of City limits given what we can see on the horizons. Wonder if it is Mt Chiliad? I was not too fussed about San Fierro in GTA San Andreas so so if they manage to create a great city and some variation on the outskirts I think that will be enough.

We don't know if it's just LS or not, the announcement from R* did say "Los Santos and surrounding countryside" but obviously if there were other cities they wouldn't reveal them just like that. At the moment i'm 50/50 on the matter, part of me thinks there will be at least one other major city, it just makes sense to me. All we can do is sit back and wait to see if the next trailer reveals more, R* usually send out some screenshots to the fansites too, plus we may get some in magazines if we're lucky.

I hope that the map is larger tahn any other they've done to date.The fact that they are back in San Andreas should mean that they they made it bigger tahn before, even if there arent the same cities, example is that many people seem to think los puetas (or how evere you spell it), could be san diego. in san andreas there was nothing south of los santos, and in reality san diego is below los angeles. so it could go into whole new directions. even though when they showed the farmers, it seemed like they were picking grapes(could be wrong) but from what i know, they are grown in central/northern california...???? possible medium sized cities to north??? maybe. or maybe it goes further south, possibly even Mexico.?? hmm. definetly things to think about. but the map and size of the city(cities) and countryside are definetly bigger than any other gta to date. R* is not stupid that theyd make it a smaller verion than before!

Guest Marney1

The surrounding hills and mountains will most likely be like RDR - only climbable to a point but that'll be part of the fun I suppose, trying to see just how far you can go. Also, if the map is just Los Santos but broken up a bit by waterways it'll still feel like your typical GTA map so I'm not at all worried about it.

It's done now anyway, pointless 'hoping'.

You think they'll still segregate areas by bridges? I'm wondering if they would have just land mass, and throw up barriers from entering a specific section.

How'd they do it in RDR; did they block of areas of the world? I know it's obviously a different series but you never know what they'll pull inspiration from...

They sectioned off RDR with rivers. In SA they blocked you from leaving Los Santos+northern countryside with rivers too. IV, III, VC same thing. Only thing that has changed over the years is the excuse of why the bridges are closed. I can only assume GTA V will use rivers and closed bridges too.

• Like 1

Guest Marney1

They sectioned off RDR with rivers. In SA they blocked you from leaving Los Santos+northern countryside with rivers too. IV, III, VC same thing. Only thing that has changed over the years is the excuse of why the bridges are closed. I can only assume GTA V will use rivers and closed bridges too.

I don't mind areas of the map being off-limits until you've progressed enough in the story to earn the right, the thought of seeing what's on the other side has spurred me on since GTA III.

On 3 November, Rockstar Games announced that Grand Theft Auto V was in full development and that it would take place within Los Santos and its "surrounding hills, countryside and beaches", and that it would be "the largest and the most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created", with Sam Houser describing it as a "radical reinvention of the Grand Theft Auto universe".[26] Rockstar parent Take-Two calls GTA V "a bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer," while confirming that its story will focus on "the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present-day Southern California." No release date or platforms were provided in the announcement. While a version of Los Santos was previously featured in 2004's Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, despite implications from gaming publications, the game does not appear to take place in the other two cities that were present in that rendition of the state of San Andreas (Las Venturas and San Fierro, based on Las Vegas and San Francisco, respectively). ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_V

That's actually a good point about the water, all GTA games - even those set in just one city - have restricted your access to parts of the map with water. To me LS looks like one continuous city, so the only thing I can see being blocked off at the begining of the game is some of the countryside. But for it to be blocked off there'd have to be a justifiable reason, so i'd imagine there'd be missions and possibly safehouses out there.

Alright, same old same old it seems. Better than the alternative (invisible walls, fuck that).

Yeah, i can imagine how disappointing it would be to fly a hydra across the countryside, over the peak of a mountain, to suddenly slap straight into an invisible wall, and you crash and burn on the edge of existence...

That's actually a good point about the water, all GTA games - even those set in just one city - have restricted your access to parts of the map with water. To me LS looks like one continuous city, so the only thing I can see being blocked off at the begining of the game is some of the countryside. But for it to be blocked off there'd have to be a justifiable reason, so i'd imagine there'd be missions and possibly safehouses out there.

i think they will make a large divide through the city using the famous LA sewer system. Maybe it'll go in a sort of Sideways U shape to enclose the beaches too. Or they'll stick to the island theme like IV. But have only like half the map with sea around it and the other half is in-land mountains. I can't think of a reason why it's be closed off though. I'm not too sure about weather systems in LA except maybe earthquakes.

i think they will make a large divide through the city using the famous LA sewer system. i can't think of a reason why it's be closed off though. I'm not too sure about weather systems in LA except maybe earthquakes.

Yeah, there will probably be an earthquake that destroyed the bridge to the countryside, yada yada yada...

I would like the hole of SA but a big map of Los Santos would be fine

Just another thought....If it was only going to be in Los Santos why would they have San Andreas on the car number plates?

Because LS is in the state of San Andreas. San Andreas is R*'s version of California.

On the Trailer the sign said Los Puarta. Could Puarta be R*'s Version of the word Puerto? Looking at a map of Cali, the nearest Puerto is, Puerto Peñasco, Mexico. Could we see a little bit of over the border like RDR?

I would like the hole of SA but a big map of Los Santos would be fine

Just another thought....If it was only going to be in Los Santos why would they have San Andreas on the car number plates?

Because LS is in the state of San Andreas. San Andreas is R*'s version of California.

On the Trailer the sign said Los Puarta. Could Puarta be R*'s Version of the word Puerto? Looking at a map of Cali, the nearest Puerto is, Puerto Peñasco, Mexico. Could we see a little bit of over the border like RDR?

Puerta means door.

dora-the-explorer.jpg

Can you say puerta? Say puerta, puerta, puerta, FUCKING PUERTA!! SAY IT BITCH!

• Like 2

Guest Marney1

Well well well, our protagonist will be able to swim (shut up, of course he will) so what could possibly stop us from crossing a river to see the other side before we're allowed to? Maybe an oil slick caused by an earthquake caused the local authoritAy to put in one of those inflatable barriers? Oh, hang on no, that would'nt/shouldn't work because it would do nothing to contain an oil slick.