I beleive it's seasonal as in the weather system. .. I dont think they'd go to the effort of making a snowy environment and only use it in one place, when they could implement it into the weather cycle.

You guys also reealise there has to be some sort of timeline within the game which could take place over several months. The mile high club sky scrapper was our first hint at that, with its different stages of completion.

I reckon snow could be a part of GTA V in one of 3 different ways.

1) - ( the most likely ) It's only in one isolated area of the map ( like Pothatuu said ).

2) - ( only semi-likely ) If the events in the story happen over a timeline, there could be a weather cycle that blankets different portions of the map in snow ( during the winter timelines ).

3) - ( unlikely ) Maybe snow is part of one of the new areas that will be made for GTA Online ( because Rockstar said that they would be adding content over time/ possibly introducing new portions to GTA V's map/ adding to either the main land or maybe creating other islands off the coast ). Remember the place that has snow ( "North Yankton" ) in the Brochure has a real world equivalent in South Dakota ( or it could be based off of Aspen/ or another Ski Resort Town ). So maybe this is pointing to a bigger GTA Online in the future covering more of the US with fictional cities and towns based on real world places.

It would be cool if all of the locations were connected too one another as well ( and made into one "Giant Game World"/ it might be possible with Next-Gen Hardware??? ).

los-santos-and-blaine-county-postcards.jpg

^^Where's the Snowy area of GTA V's map seen in this postcard?^^ ( We haven't seen any snow in the Screens or Videos, and it hasn't been mentioned in any of the Previews or Interviews/ So where is this "North Yankton"? )

GTAOnlineMap1_zpsc9c63954.png

The "GTA Online Map" could end up stretching North up to San Fierro ( San Francisco ), and East to Las Venturas ( Las Vegas/ plus R* could legitimately add Area 51 ( "69" ) since it's in Nevada as well ) and maybe even add another City & Town further East like Salt Lake City and Aspen ( Aspen is marked "A" on the map ), too add some more variety to the terrain with some snowy areas ( plus it would be interesting if they added a Yellowstone like National park in the north/ due to the diversity of it's wilderness ).

Salt Lake City ~

salt-lake-city-utah-usa-utah-images.jpgsaltL31.jpeg

The Mountains around Aspen ~

Aspen1_zpsa0b5703e.png

• Like 1

I reckon your 3) is both likely and unlikely. I think North Yankton will be part of the San Andreas that we receive on September 17 and while I hope there are rolling seasons I tend to think it'll be like RDR initially and change over time. Where I think it's likely is that R* will add to this map over time. whether by adding land to the existing map (which I hope for) or by way of adding islands which TreeFitty suggested (though he only mentioned SA and LC). Either way, there will be mountains with snow in winter (among many other things) added to the Online map eventually.

@blacksox I'm going with your second statement. That's what I beleive will happen. Even if there is no timeline, the snow could still affect some areas of the map during the weather cycle.

Looking at the map, it is clear that the areas have certain chances of snow, where others do not. Here's a rough temperature map i just put together.

GynepTW.jpg

Snow is more than likely to full only in the northern part of the map.

• Like 7

@blacksox I think number 2 just because that have done the specific area with snow in RDR and I think they will want to go one better this time. I really like the idea of a set time line to the game. but i would be interested to see how that would work after the story is finished.

Edit: unless weather is dynamic.

@blacksox I think number 2 just because that have done the specific area with snow in RDR and I think they will want to go one better this time. I really like the idea of a set time line to the game. but i would be interested to see how that would work after the story is finished.

If they did go down this path (as awesome as it would be) I would think that one of two things would happen. Either:

- The weather happens outside of the storyline and keeps ticking over like regular seasons. Your missions occur regardless of weather and changes in difficulty (and fun) as the weather changes. The 'weather clock' would keep ticking over regardless of whether you've finished the game or not; or

- The weather will stay somewhat 'scheduled' through the duration of the story mode and flick over to a 'weather clock' once story mode is finished. It would be strange if this was how they tackled seasons.

• Like 1

If they did go down this path (as awesome as it would be) I would think that one of two things would happen. Either:

- The weather happens outside of the storyline and keeps ticking over like regular seasons. Your missions occur regardless of weather and changes in difficulty (and fun) as the weather changes. The 'weather clock' would keep ticking over regardless of whether you've finished the game or not; or

- The weather will stay somewhat 'scheduled' through the duration of the story mode and flick over to a 'weather clock' once story mode is finished. It would be strange if this was how they tackled seasons.

I like all these ideas. but I think it most likely, weather will be area specific as Dup said. I would really love to see a dynamic weather system though. I can't think of another game that has done it yet.... Anyone?

I just contradicted myself.

Of course, it certainly won't snow at LSX. What I was alluding to was the possibility that those northern areas that Dup highlighted could snow on a regulated cycle that is either independent of the story or kicks in after the story ends. When there is no snow on the caps, the southern/desert areas would be hotter increasing fatigue and so on. I stick by my RDR-style theory as BlackSox suggested but if Dup is correct then this game will reach a whole new level, not so much for the has-it-been-done-before aspect but the what-can-be-done-with-it aspect (ski slopes, fatigue in summer, slushy dirt tracks during/after rain, potential for flooding, etc.).

• Like 1

That map you made looks pretty spot on.

If there is any snow in GTA V it will probably only show up in those locations ( around the higher altitude areas such as Mt Josiah & Mt Chiliad ).

Of course, it certainly won't snow at LSX. What I was alluding to was the possibility that those northern areas that Dup highlighted could snow on a regulated cycle that is either independent of the story or kicks in after the story ends. When there is no snow on the caps, the southern/desert areas would be hotter increasing fatigue and so on. I stick by my RDR-style theory as BlackSox suggested but if Dup is correct then this game will reach a whole new level, not so much for the has-it-been-done-before aspect but the what-can-be-done-with-it aspect (ski slopes, fatigue in summer, slushy dirt tracks during/after rain, potential for flooding, etc.).

Agreed. I like the idea of temperature fatigue. (hadn't though of that) I would love to see a dynamic weather system eg seasons. though I doubt this will happen. as you said slushy tracks after rain/snow,would be awesome but I'm not holding out for it.

I beleive it's seasonal as in the weather system. .. I dont think they'd go to the effort of making a snowy environment and only use it in one place, when they could implement it into the weather cycle.

You guys also reealise there has to be some sort of timeline within the game which could take place over several months. The mile high club sky scrapper was our first hint at that, with its different stages of completion.

I reckon snow could be a part of GTA V in 3 different ways.

1) - ( the most likely ) It's only in one isolated area of the map ( like Pothatuu said ).

2) - ( only semi-likely ) If the events in the story happen over a timeline, there could be a weather cycle that blankets different portions of the map in snow ( during the winter timelines ).

3) - ( unlikely ) Maybe snow is part of one of the new areas that will be made for GTA Online ( because Rockstar said that they would be adding content over time/ possibly introducing new portions to GTA V's map/ adding to either the main land or maybe creating other islands off the coast ). Remember the place that has snow ( "North Yankton" ) in the Brochure has a real world equivalent in South Dakota ( or it could be based off of Aspen/ or another Ski Resort Town ). So maybe this is pointing to a bigger GTA Online in the future covering more of the US with fictional cities and towns based on real world places.

It would be cool if all of the locations were connected too one another as well ( made into one "Giant Game World"/ it might be possible with Next-Gen Hardware??? ).

los-santos-and-blaine-county-postcards.jpg

^^Where's the Snowy area of GTA V's map seen in this postcard?^^

GTAOnlineMap1_zpsc9c63954.png

The "GTA Online Map" could end up stretching North up to San Fierro ( San Francisco ), and East to Las Venturas ( Las Vegas/ plus R* could legitimately add Area 51 ( "69" ) since it's in Nevada as well ) and maybe even add another City & Town further East like Salt Lake City and Aspen ( Aspen is marked "A" on the map ), too add some more variety to the terrain with some snowy areas ( plus it would be interesting if they added a Yellowstone like National park in the north/ due to the great diversity of it's wilderness ).

Salt Lake City ~

salt-lake-city-utah-usa-utah-images.jpgsaltL31.jpeg

The Mountains around Aspen ~

Aspen1_zpsa0b5703e.png

im from south Dakota and there is a lot of snow in yankton when I go through there in the winter what gets me how could they put a town from the Midwest into san andreas just for the snow?

Dunno. Apparently one of the bridges is from Canada and one of the motels was from Oklahoma or somewhere like that. Anyhoo, I found this on Yankton, SD's website:

They named the land E-Hank-Ton-Wan, which means "people of the end village".

im from south Dakota and there is a lot of snow in yankton when I go through there in the winter what gets me how could they put a town from the Midwest into san andreas just for the snow?

Well "Yank" is a British/ Aussie slang term for Americans ( and most of Rockstar's Founder's/ Dev's are from Scotland ), so it makes sense that they would put this pejorative term in a GTA town's name. The slang term "Yank" is often associated with stereotypes of Americans being Fat/ Stupid people who all drive hummers and vote Republican ( and can't find any country but their own on a map ). Plus it also helps that it has a vague reference to a real world place with a lot of snow, in the US.

My guess is that GTA V's "North Yankton" will be full of upper-class snob NPC's with big expensive cars, and expensive clothing/jewellery ( Satirising upper-class Ski-Resort Towns ). The NPC's will probably react to Trevor and Franklin with Disdain, but will accept Michael as one of their own ( plus beating them up/ robbing them will almost definitely result in a larger cash drop than normal NPC's )...

• Like 1

Well I'm thinking "North Yankton" is definitely part of the map seeing as how it's in the postcard, so obviously it has already been designed.. Which would also rule out the theory of it being an addition to the map on down the line if I'm correct..

I'm also wondering how long the story's timeline will take place.. That's never really been present in any GTA that I can think of.. Maybe if R* someway or another have structured the story over a couple years time, then the "seasonal weather system" could be introduced. Then when the game is finished, the weather system would become more dynamic and change seasons on it's own (without certain missions triggering them.)

• Like 1

Yeah it just makes sense since North Yankton is the only postcard that we haven't seen in the screens or trailers.

- I think that's likely, but I feel like a structured set timeline isn't something rockstar would put into a GTA game. At the same time they did take this game in a bold new direction so I suppose anything is possible.

Yeah it just makes sense since North Yankton is the only postcard that we haven't seen in the screens or trailers.

- I think that's likely, but I feel like a structured set timeline isn't something rockstar would put into a GTA game. At the same time they did take this game in a bold new direction so I suppose anything is possible.

Remember that they have had an additional 6 months to implement new features ( minus the time for fixing bugs and polishing ), so I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar was still holding back a few game features until release ( like a Dynamic Weather System which incorporates snow in the northern region/ or the Main Story progressing over a timeline of a few years ) ( Who knows? ).

That thread is 138 pages long, 2,738 replies deep.

So no, I will not go check it out.

I'm pretty sure Yankton is located to the northeast side. To my knowledge, It's the only part of the map we haven't seen yet.

I doubt it.

Think of how many hours you'd have to play the game just to get through one season.

(after the story)

I wouldn't be worried about that because once the story is complete u still have trophies to complete. And in the end we will be putting in a lot of hours inthe game