Oh and about the landmarks, it doesn't matter if the bridge is really close to LA or not.

Look at the airport in Liberty city it was based on one somewhere in Oklahoma or somewhere.

Well in GTA III Francis International Airport was based loosely on LAX in Los Angeles...and in GTA IV FIA was based on Terminal 5 at JFK International in NYC.

Don't really get your point but the fact is that I don't care about acuracy of Los Santos,

it's based of LA and the area and I don't mind there being landmarks from different parts of the US

Don't really get your point but the fact is that I don't care about acuracy of Los Santos,

it's based of LA and the area and I don't mind there being landmarks from different parts of the US

Just pointing out that neither version of the airport is based off of one in Oklahoma.

Just pointing out that neither version of the airport is based off of one in Oklahoma.

My bad, thought I read that in another forum

In the gameplay trailer people say the towers in the distance are form a prison

I was actually thinking that it might be a military base, it would be logical with an airstrip nearby.

gameplay-1-shit-hes-got-5-stars.jpg

gameplay-1-down-we-go-again-1.jpg

That and the airfield is across the street from the guard towers. It'd be a pretty sorry military base to have it's runways outside of the base and on the other side of the road unprotected.

According to the screencap up yonder^^^^, there's a small town known as "Paleto". Any idea if we've seen it yet, Fitty?

NOTE: It translates from Spanish as "hick".

I put together a Google Maps overlay to show the estimated scale of Los Santos/San Andreas to real-world LA. The link will take you to a view of the map on my website that you can zoom, pan, etc. If you take a look at satellite view, you can eyeball objects on the ground and see that the scale matches up pretty well.

This would probably be most interesting to someone that has a basic familiarity with LA (I do not). For the rest of us, it still demonstrates the scale of what we've seen so far. The bounding rectangle in the image is about 6.21 square miles. And of course, this is only part of the map - someone smarter than me can speculate on exactly what percentage it represents.

post-2995-0-55118400-1374465282.jpg

Long-winded and very boring explanation of my methodology:

First, this is an estimate. I had to make some assumptions and guesses, but I happen to think they are pretty good ones. That said, feel free to flame me and poke holes in my logic...

I needed an object of known size from one of the overhead stills in order to establish scale. I chose the closest view of Trevor's police chase because it includes a police cruiser that is nicely aligned south-to-north. The cruiser measures 47 pixels from bumper to bumper.

I assume the vehicle is at least loosely based on a Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, supported by vehicle models in previous GTAs and the screenshots we've seen from V. According to Wikipedia, (not the best source of information, but I'm lazy) the Crown Vic measures 212 inches in length. From there, some simple arithmetic tells us that the 1280x720 frame represents roughly 481 feet x 270 feet of real estate.

Next I picked a random spot in LA and grabbed the latitude and longitude, then used an online distance calculator to determine where the four corners of the screenshot would have to sit in order to match the 481x270 dimensions.

From there, we move to the trial-and-error portion of the process. I wanted to place the previous still from the gameplay trailer, a more-zoomed-out view of Trevor's police chase. From my earlier hack job, I knew there was roughly 5.5 times more length/width in the second screenshot, so with more coordinate arithmetic and lots of eyeballing I placed that image. This was followed by the next zoom level, roughly 10 times the real estate of the original.

Great, all three of Trevor's zoom levels are placed, time to move on to the motion-blur images. Note that by starting with Trevor, I had to work backward through the footage. This was a horribly inexact science of trying to match landmarks from frame to frame. For a variety of reasons, the placement of these images isn't perfect, but it looks good to me.

This gets us to Michael's place in Rockford Hills, where I basically repeated the Trevor process to place all the zoom level screenshots where they belong. After that, more repetition to get down to Franklin's stomping grounds.

Lastly, I masked out a rectangle that covers the southwest-to-northeast extremes and placed it on the map as well. Then I used the distance calculator again to determine total distances from north to south (3.59 miles) and east to west (1.73 miles). This gives us 6.2107 square miles.

Give or take.

• Like 6

According to the screencap up yonder^^^^, there's a small town known as "Paleto". Any idea if we've seen it yet, Fitty?

NOTE: It translates from Spanish as "hick".

plenty times in the gameplay trailer. skydiving down the mountain into Paleto, Frankyboy shooting up goons at the factory looks like the same location to me, also pretty early on in the gameplay trailer, where the camera zooms out looking down Mt Chiliad (with the shack up on it's top)... maybe even more often, dunno...

In the gameplay trailer people say the towers in the distance are form a prison

I was actually thinking that it might be a military base, it would be logical with an airstrip nearby.

It is the prison. The military base is to the mid-west of the map. You can see it here:

Vd3i6qk.jpg

When this screenshot first popped up, i mentioned that i thought there was some sort of off-road mountain valley between these two mountains, but i obviously had no proof from that angle, it just kind of looked like it had open space between. Now we can see from this top-down angle, that there is in fact a valley road there. I wonder if this winds up the left mountain, which could be the possible location of our trailer one hike...?

IA5XulC.jpg

gta-v-screenshot-8.jpg

• Like 4

Not sure if this is a stupid question but whatever.. every fan made map ive seen looks really similar, the shape of it is almost identical. The only part of the map we have seen is the city, so what im curious about is how do you know the top areas above the city will look anything like that? where did the random shape of it come from, if all we saw was the city? How do you know it wont look completely different?

The previous 126 pages are filled with the answers you seek. Every inch of the maps that originated from this site have an explanation for their shape and the placement of key locations.

Maps from other places just copied the ones here, with a handful of maps that are actually original (that drunk guy from gtaforums). CVG's GTA5 o'clock people are the worst offenders when it comes to copying fan maps. Really, GTA5 o'clock is the worst offender in any case. They really are just awful.

And those websites that report on GTA5 news have retarded writers. The other day I was reading an article, and they thought some shitty looking fanmade map was released by Rockstar.

How would you come to that conclusion? As I said, it has all been extensively researched. There is very little in the estimates here that is questionable.

These guys are so spot on with the map now (I feel) that I avoid looking at any newer designs just to avoid spoiling the actual map!

And if I'm recalling correctly, Rockstar has publically aired their surprise at how accurate the fan-made maps actually are.

i also remember reading that.